11/16/2017 01:16PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB, 1967 Morris Minor

authors avatar
Rear disc brake brackets now available for MGB
Posted by: geezer
Date: July 28, 2019 08:40AM

All parts that were in stock are sold

Awhile back I developed a rear disc brake conversion for the MGB Salisbury rear axle because I did not care for the brackets that were available at that time. This conversion has been on my car for 2 years and has been subjected to many miles of spirited driving. Drawings and laser cutter ready files are freely available to anyone who is interested in making their own brackets. However, I've had several requests for brackets. Just for grins I had 3 sets of laser cut brackets made just in case someone could not find a machine shop in their area or did not want to make the brackets from the drawings. The brackets are $35.00 each and it takes 4 brackets to adapt the Nissan 240SX rear caliper. The $35.00 each does not include any hardware that is available locally or freight. I will only ship to the 48 United States since shipping costs to other locations can be prohibitive. The brackets are as they were supplied from the machine shop. They have been test fit on a spare axle. That being said they may still need a little adjusting for a final fit on your axle and paint.

Since this is a DIY conversion you will be dealing with a few challenges. Those can be shortening the park brake cables, making a simple mod to the that park brake lever on the caliper, and routing the brake hoses. Those issues are easy to resolve. I will provide a bill of materials and instructions. This conversion has been discussed in detail on MGE. Here is a link.

[www.mgexp.com]

I also have details in my journal.

[www.mgexp.com]
[www.mgexp.com]
[www.mgexp.com]

In addition I can supply the part number 31038 Honda Accord rear rotor that has the pilot hole bored out to 3" for $35.00 each plus shipping. I do have 2 rotors in stock.

The 1995-1998 Nissan rear calipers and the Honda Accord rear rotors are readily available from many sources like Amazon and Summit Racing. The only modified wear part will be the rotor.

I have personally converted several cars and have found that not all rear axles are the same in minor details such as the filet radius on the axle housing end and some calipers may have to be shimmed due to differences in wheel hubs. There can also be body clearance issues on some cars. My lowered car had a clearance issue that was discussed in the links above. One other car had the same issue, the rest did not.

Keep in mind that this is a DIY conversion and you will be responsible for your workmanship and I will not be held responsible for any damages incurred while using this conversion. Please be sure this conversion is right for you before attempting to do the conversion to a vital brake component. You will be asked to sign a waiver of liability before I will ship the parts.
bracket 3.jpg
bracket 5.jpg
bracket 6.jpg
bracket 7.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2021 07:24PM by geezer.

Nibor1
Robin Spring

(3 posts)

06/28/2021 07:24AM

Main British Car:

Re: Rear disc brake brackets now available for MGB
Posted by: Nibor1
Date: June 28, 2021 07:35AM

Hi Geezer I have just found your post regarding rear dics brake conversion for mgb axle and as I'm in the UK I was wondering what thickness of metal you used for the caliper mounting bracket.
regards Nibor1

geezer
Charles Durning
Magee, MS
(60 posts)

11/16/2017 01:16PM

Main British Car:
1974 MGB, 1967 Morris Minor

authors avatar
Re: Rear disc brake brackets now available for MGB
Posted by: geezer
Date: July 12, 2021 07:23PM

Robin,

The bracket that bolts directly to the axle housing in 3/8" thick. The secondary bracket is 1/4" thick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.