eddievann
Eddie VANN

(2 posts)

11/25/2008 09:16AM

Main British Car:

V8 suspension
Posted by: eddievann
Date: January 25, 2009 06:11AM

I have recently bought MGB GT V serial number 2520, about 70 cars before the last factory built V8.

I intend to upgrade the suspension am would be grateful for opinions on any telescopic damper kits for the standard front suspension. In particular, i have bad steering wobble at around 75 to 85 mph., and I want to be sure that this can be cured by renewing the bearings and bushes in the standard suspension and adding telecopic shockers.

Eddie Vann
DayofPurchase.jpg

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: V8 suspension
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: January 25, 2009 10:55AM

Eddie, the shocks are not your problem. If they do not leak and have oil at the proper level there is no need to replace them. It is much more likely that your king pin bushings are worn. Put a jack under the lower control arm and lift the tire off the ground then see if you can wobble the wheel top to bottom. Then have a look at your tie rod ends while wobbling side to side, and finally pull the grease cap and look at the spindle nut to see if you have any play there.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 25, 2009 12:44PM

Welcome to BritishV8, and congratulations on your new car!

I agree with Jim that telescoping shocks are unlikely to fix your steering wobble problem...

Jim's already done a good job of pointing out most likely problem areas, but there is one other thing I'd add. When you take the suspension apart to change the lower control arm bushes, have a good look at the inner pivots ("fulcrum pins") on both sides. (That's number 64 in this drawing: [www.britishv8.org]) I found that my car came with bent pivots on both sides - apparently the previous owner had hit some potholes very hard or slid into a curb.

Knee-action shocks are durable and rebuildable - and they have at least one theoretical technical advantage: they don't contribute an ounce to "unsprung weight".

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: January 25, 2009 06:50PM

You can spend a great deal of time and money restoring, modifying, or rebuilding a tired MGB IFS. I did, and in the end, was still stuck with old technology. I have no idea if most MGB drivers are satisfied with the MGB IFS design, or if they consider radical modifications to be it a negative step. I know the MGB V8 guys don't fit that mold. So If you are open to the idea of non-original components, you may be interested in the IFS made by Ted Lathrop at Fast Cars, Inc.

I've attached a photo,I hope you can see it okay.

Arthur
MGB IFS By Fast Cars, Inc.jpg

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: January 25, 2009 07:43PM

I've driven several MGBs with the FastCar front crossmember...and we recently installed on on my MGB/GT V8 project.

Additionally, we installed a Classic Conversions four-link rear suspension.

I am anticipating good things...
Install reduced.jpg
Complete Product_1.jpg

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: January 26, 2009 06:55PM

Hi Eddie,
I experienced the same thing with my B. The front end was tight ( rebuilt ) and the shocks were OK with fresh fluid. I suspect it had to do with the spacers that I installed to mount Corvette wheels on the front. Over Christmas I installed an 86 Vette front suspension on it and I expect it to make a tremendous difference. As soon as I can get home and start the fresh engine and take it for a spin I'll post how it goes. The Jag rear really makes a difference in the ride.

Bill

[www.cardomain.com]

accobraman50
Arthur Mitchell
Chicago
(43 posts)

01/27/2008 08:14PM

Main British Car:
1965 Butler Racing AC Cobra replica 350 SBC

authors avatar
Posted by: accobraman50
Date: January 26, 2009 11:23PM

Bill, Great car! Great job! What model Jaguar rear end did you use? Would love to see photos of the IFS too.

Arthur

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.