(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Wiring - Relays
Posted by: rficalora
Date: January 29, 2009 11:41PM

I just read a rewiring article in Classic Trucks -- I know this is BritishV8, but I read a couple of hot rod magazines because there's good info & interesting ideas in them... anyway, I was intrigued by a rewiring article in the Feb issue... there's a pic (page 77 for anyone with the magazine) that shows a very neat install with 14 relays. I can make out:
Fan 1
Fan 2
Ignition
Starter

then there's:
ACC -- what's this accessory circuit? doesn't make sense... A/C compressor clutch maybe?

Headlights -- looks like the 1st two left most relays are tied together, what's up with that?

Can't read the others, but can think of:
Horn
Power Windows
Power Locks
Amp for stereo system

That accounts for 11 of 14 relays. What else draws enough current to warrant using a relay?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Wiring - Relays
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 30, 2009 08:36AM

Quote:
ACC -- what's this accessory circuit? doesn't make sense... A/C compressor clutch maybe?

On most cars there are three busses of circuits:
1) "Battery" circuits are always powered, regardless of the ignition-key switch position.
(examples: clock, radio memory)
2) "Accessory" circuits are powered when the ignition-key switch is "on" OR in a designated "accessory" position.
(example: the main radio circuit)
3) "Ignition" circuits are only powered when the ignition-key switch is in the "on" (running or starter) position(s).
(example: fuel pump)

Note: on most cars the accessory circuits are ON when the ignition is "on" but they're temporarily switched "off" when the starter is engaged.

Evidently, they're switching the whole accessory buss with a relay instead of running them directly through the ignition switch, which might make a lot of sense if the switch contacts or the wiring to the switch isn't up to the job. Are they using some sort of gimmick ignition switch instead of a relatively heavy-duty OEM switch? Are they powering any high-current circuits that are only on when the key is in the ignition switch - such as fan motors or electric windows?

Besides actual current level, there's a second rationale for using a relay to switch on-and-off electric motors. When you switch a motor on or off, you tend to get a spark at the switch contacts. That sparking can ultimately cause the switch contacts to "pit" or even to weld together in an "on" position. Relays preserve the switch (which is relatively expensive) and they also often have better constructed or better plated contacts than the main switch. There are lots of strategies to switch contact design that can also be used to eliminate or reduce the effects of sparking (e.g. designing them to "make before break" or to have a "wiping action") but sometimes it isn't practical to include these...

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 30, 2009 11:17AM

Good info Curtis. The article doesn't have a lot of detail on the vehicle the pic i'm referencing came from... but you may be on to something with the 'evidently they're switching the whole accessory bus with a relay instead of through the ignition switch' comment because i'm pretty sure i recall an article in a recent prior issue about wiring a start button... maybe that necessitated the relay to switch off the accessory bus.

What about having two relays tied together for headlights? In the pic, you can see wires that come off one relay & go into the one next to it... maybe something to do with switching from low to high beams?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: January 30, 2009 11:51AM

Possibly something to do with high-beams... or maybe they're carrying the actual headlights on one relay and the marker/parking/tail lights on a second relay (in parallel.)

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: January 30, 2009 12:15PM

Rob, what type of headlights are they running? The newer style High Intensity Discharge units pull a lot of current, perhaps the double relays are for that reason.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: January 30, 2009 12:58PM

There's really no additional info about it in the article... it was a pretty basic general wiring article... just that pic intrigued me because there were soooo many relays & the two were tied together. Sometimes they name the shop that helped them with the article -- if they did in this one, i'll try to call & see what I can find out... will update here if so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.