(111 posts)

10/31/2007 10:53PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 3.9L Rover V8

authors avatar
Seat Belts
Posted by: donfaber
Date: April 12, 2009 09:21PM

So, the retractable part of my seat belt doesn't work any more (79B) - how about some good suggestions for replacement seat belts for this car?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Seat Belts
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 13, 2009 07:57AM

Don, I receintly installed seat belts from Victoria British in the MG Warrior project. They went in pretty easily and I did like the adjustment for the pendelum so that the locking mechanism would work in any installation. They're not cheap, but well engineered and look pretty good. [www.victoriabritish.com]

crashbash
david bash
st. charles
(215 posts)

01/28/2008 10:53AM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Rdst V8 project, 1968 MGC GT, 1969 MGB Rd olds 215

Posted by: crashbash
Date: April 13, 2009 03:01PM

I put 4 point harnesses in all cars. Less than $100.00. Better than air bags!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 13, 2009 04:21PM

David just had to go and mention four point harnesses... That opens a can of worms!

Three-point OEM seat belts are mainly designed for collisions where occupants will be thrown forward (e.g. head on collisions). The design anticipates that in an accident the driver's torso will fold over the lap belt, and thus counteract any tendency for the abdomen to slide UNDER the belt. If the abdomen slides under the lapbelt, the driver is likely to be severely injured. At least In North America, race cars normally have either five or six point harnesses - they have straps that go between your legs to keep your abdomen from moving forward in an accident. Most four point harnesses don't have any such "anti-submarining" feature, and therefore some people feel they're very dangerous.

It's arguable whether three-point harnesses make the most sense for our sportscars. Are our cars like racecars? Racers may be statistically more likely to be involved in a rollover accident or even to be t-boned compared to the public at large. It's not THAT common for racers to drive straight into something stationary, and it's rare for them to drive into oncoming traffic. I have argued in the past that I feel safer in a four point harness in my MG because I'm more worried about sliding off the edge of the road than I am about running into anything head on...

From an OEM perspective, three-point systems have two other huge advantages. The design doesn't need to be adjusted (much) for users of various size. Adjustment is generally within the limits of an automatic retractor. Also, the design is relatively comfortable. Perhaps people are more likely to use it.

If you're considering taking Dave's advice and fitting four-point harnesses, I'd recommend considering the points Schroth Racing makes regarding their design, and specifically lap belt width and "anti-submarining" features. (Schroth Engineering makes four-point harnesses with a unique anti-submarining feature!)

Read about them here: [www.schrothracing.com]

One more important point about four, five, and six point harnesses: it's quite important that the shoulder straps be mounted at approximately shoulder height. If the belts angle appreciably downward to an attachment point, your spine will be compressed and probably damaged in the event of a head-on collision.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 13, 2009 04:28PM

I forgot to include these two photos...

Dave Burstyn's MGB:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DaveBurstyn/DaveBurstyn-AA.jpg

Ken Biermann's MGB:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/KenBiermann/KenBiermann-DB.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 11:20AM by Moderator.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 13, 2009 06:36PM

So, Curtis, what about 5 or 6 point? Maybe a bit more inconvenient, but wouldn't that'd address the "submarining" concern? Are there camlocks that leave the left shoulder, lap, & bottom belts connected so you lock/unlock the two sides?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 13, 2009 06:55PM

5 or 6 point is awesome - no submarining, so long as you buckle-up - but you need a seat that's set up for the extra strap(s).

If you squint at this photo, you can see that there's a slit for the crotch strap:
http://www.exoticcarseats.com/pages/imgs/seats/touring.jpg

Here you don't have to squint:
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/JamesBowler/JamesBowler-GF.jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: April 13, 2009 10:42PM

I like the idea of 5 or 6 point belts. Have you seen any seats that'd be appropriate for daily use, fit, & have the slot?

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 14, 2009 08:01AM

Rob, it's not too difficult to modify a seat for the crotch strap. I did it with the Nissan Pulsar seat on the driver's side in my Midget. I just cut a hole in the seat pan and used some protective plastic edging on the metal, then cut a notch in the seat foam and sewed a sleeve into the seat bottom cover to reach down through the pan. Just make sure you make the cut large enough to pass the latch hardware or mounting plate through. In the photo you can see the red crotch belt sticking up through the seat bottom.
DSCF0206.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 14, 2009 09:03AM

What is the anti-submarine feature of those 4-way belt systems? Is it just that they are using 2" webbing?

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 14, 2009 11:26AM

As I understand it (and as explained and illustrated on their website) the inboard of the two shoulder straps has a segment of webbing that's made differently and that's engineered to stretch a pre-engineered amount in the event of a head-on accident so that the torso will fold over the lap belt enough to prevent submarining, but apparently it doesn't let the user fling anywhere near as far forward and around as a three-point's shoulder strap.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 14, 2009 11:30AM

Rob asked: "Have you seen any seats that'd be appropriate for daily use, fit, & have the slot?"

I want to see and sit in this company's seats in person... they seem to meet the criteria and they look period correct for our cars, but they're pricey. [www.exoticcarseats.com]

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 14, 2009 11:35AM

Jim, I read their site also and the method they use isn't clear. I'm only guessing but they mention an energy converter in one shoulder strap and I'm thinking that they are allowing some forward movement of the upper body before the belts tension to position the person in a way that they will pull on the lap belt instead of sliding down as you would if the upper body is held back against the seat.

classic conversions
bill guzman

(294 posts)

01/09/2008 01:58AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: classic conversions
Date: April 14, 2009 12:20PM

Curtis is right on. You can have the correct seat and belts, but if they are not correctly installed they become useless and more prone to hurt you than safe/minimize and injury. Also harnesses have an exparation date

Seats need to be bolted in 5 places four in the bottom with good support and brackets made of specific carbon steel and thickness, not your MGB standard bolts, a fifth bolt behind the seat attached to the roll bar and the list goes on. Curtis touched all of points very well.

I would suggest that Curtis do an article in this topic of safety

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: April 14, 2009 12:21PM

Quote:
ASM stands for Anti-SubMarining. It's an extra flap of material sewn into the inboard shoulder belt that prevents you from sliding underneath the lap belt. In a 4 point harness made by some other company, the two shoulder straps restrain your upper body equally. They keep your chest from moving forward. However, this also pulls up on the lap belt and allows your accelerating pelvis to slide under the lap belt and cause serious damage to your stomach and intestines. With ASM, one of the shoulder belts will elongate at a different rate which will force your pelvis down into the seat cushion. Upon rebound, you will be placed back in an upright position with the belt correctly placed over your body.

Here's a movie, with crash test dummies filmed by high speed cameras: [www.schrothracing.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.