(36 posts)

10/24/2007 03:11PM

Main British Car:
1967 MGB Tourer 215 c.i. Buick

authors avatar
Roll bars on MGB
Posted by: 67MGBV8
Date: April 14, 2009 02:51PM

I want to add a roll bar for the sake of safety. I doubt that I will ever race the car, but I would like one that would get me on the track on the occasional open track day. I would like one that would fit inside the erected hood on my '67 with pack-away hood. From what I have read, that would make it too short to be effective. Is anyone making an item like what I'm looking for? I could fab my own, I suppose; what would be a good design? Where is the best place to mount? Ideas, plans, anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2009 02:52PM by 67MGBV8.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: Roll bars on MGB
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 14, 2009 03:08PM

Chris, I'd start by getting or downloading a copy of the roll bar requirements from the SCCA. That will give you information on tube diameter and thickness, required bracing and height. Unless you fit a different seat I doubt if you will get the bar low enough to clear the top while still having enough space above your head for the rules. If you're really serious about the track days and still want a bar for the street I'd consider having two bars custom built that would bolt in, you could swap in the taller track bar when you needed it and use the shorter one for your street cruising. Any good race shop should either be able to build a bar for you or direct you to a shop that can build one. There's almost certainly a shop in the Salt Lake area that can do the work.
If you decide to build your own, then I'd go for a main hoop with a diagonal brace and two rear strut braces at a minimum. I added a front brace bar from the center of the main hoop to the floor chassis member on the side of the transmission tunnel and doesn't interfer with the passenger area too much. A horizontal bar from the diagonal to the main hoop makes a great mount for your racing harness at shoulder level. My bar is too low for SCCA competition, but I am building a new seat for autocross days that should get me just low enough to pass tech.
DSCF0207.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.