Cleburne, TX
(2 posts)

04/27/2009 10:32AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB MG 1800 cc

2.8 L V-6 with 700R4 in a MGB.
Posted by: bobtcars@att.net
Date: April 27, 2009 11:41AM

This MGB is my wifes car. She is 74 and had a stroke. Her left leg can't push the clutch down any more so I want to put an automatic transmission in the car. I have a 2.8L Chevy V-6 and 700R4 so that is what I want to use. I am wondering if I will have to enlarge the transmission tunnel. Is there any information on this site about that installation. I just joined the forum and don't really know how to find the information.
Bob T

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: 2.8 L V-6 with 700R4 in a MGB.
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 27, 2009 12:12PM

Hi Bob. Welcome to the forum!

Probably Steve DeGroat will have good advice for you because he's got that sixty degree V6 and tranny in his 1970 MGB-GT, as shown here: Steve's "How It Was Done" article. (10 photos)

Steve reads and posts quite often. If you want to ask him a question off the record, you can use the "private message system. All you need to know is that his UserID is "Citron"... or you can go here and click on the words "send a private message": [forum.britishv8.org]

How would you have found this information yourself? One way would be to start in the photo gallery (from the pull-down menu at the top of the page, select "MG sports cars") and just scroll down while reading the transmission column. Your web browser probably has a "find in this page" feature which would help you go right to each of the five cars that have "700" transmissions. Alternatively, you could try the search box at the very top (righthand side) of every page. The advantage of that is it might also find cases where this discussion has come up in the message board or article archive. You can experiment with different search terms to learn about different aspects of the installation... After linking through from the search function into the message board posts, if you want to contact people just click on their UserID wherever you see it hi-lighted in blue.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: April 27, 2009 12:21PM

Hey Bob, I've got another real quick tip for you. You might want to consider updating your own user profile so it tells us which model year MGB you have... since that information will affect what advice people should give you. Just click on the words "My Control Center" (note: this link appears several places... one of them is in the "Goto:" line overtop the message entry box) and then click on the words "Change My Profile" on the lefthand side of the screen, enter "car", "engine", etc, and then click "Update Your Information".

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: April 27, 2009 02:24PM

Bob,
I had to cut out an area of the trans tunnel on the left side. It is about 6 in long by 3 in deep by 3 in high. It does not show under tha carpet.
I really like the auto trans in my car. I have the 3.1 engine with a Holley 390 carb. I get 24 mpg traveling with my luggage trailer and the stock rearend.
If I can be of any help let me know.

Steve

bobtcars@att.net
Bob Tarpenning
Cleburne, TX
(2 posts)

04/27/2009 10:32AM

Main British Car:
1972 MGB MG 1800 cc

Posted by: bobtcars@att.net
Date: April 27, 2009 06:58PM

Thanks to Steve and Curtis for the responce and help. I'm trying to plan ahead for this project. I'm putting a T-5 5 speed in my Model A Ford now and have to finish putting a 4.3L V-6 in my '48 Hudson before I start on the MGB. Probably in July.
Bob T

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.