John Gamble

(19 posts)

03/25/2009 10:34PM

Main British Car:
1960 MGA 2.3 Ford Duratec

MGA rear axle removal
Posted by: Seventy7INa45
Date: May 05, 2009 09:41AM

I have to remove the axle on my A within the very near future, so how is it done? I did a quick look around and it seemed obvious - de-attach the 4 bolts on the hub and just take it out, but the bolts arent budging, so I feel like I'm missing something. Please let me know, I have someone coming to pick up the axle in about 2 weeks, so it really needs to be out. Thanks for any help

John

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGA rear axle removal
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: May 05, 2009 10:50AM

Very likely you will have to twist the nuts off the "U" bolts to get it apart. It is generally not recommended that they be re-used anyway, although it is often done. A mixture of ATF and acetone makes a very good penetrating oil if you want to try soaking them for a couple of days, then wire brushing the rust off any exposed threads will help a great deal after they break loose. But new "U" bolts are always a good idea and not too expensive, even if you have to have a spring shop bend them for you. And, you can go a size larger for added security without great difficulty. Really, just twisting the nuts off is the easiest way. I've even known people to intentionally tighten them with an impact wrench until they twist off. Usually takes one turn or less.

Jim

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: MGA rear axle removal
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 05, 2009 12:35PM

John, are you talking about removing the axle shafts from the housing so that you can remove the differential assembly? If so then you need to look for a Phillips head screw that holds the half shaft to the bearing housing. Once that is removed and the lugs are clear the axle should pull out. There is a gasket between the half shaft and the bearing housing that might be a bit sticky, a little careful use of a screwdriver should take care of that.The screws are item 16 in the drawing and the gasket is 17. As far as removing the entire assembly, then Jim has the right idea, remove the U bolts and then drop the rear spring shackles and the rear should slide right out. Of course you'll have to cut the brake hose and remove the parking brake cable as well.
rear axle.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.