(111 posts)

10/31/2007 10:53PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 3.9L Rover V8

authors avatar
Fuel Injection
Posted by: donfaber
Date: December 14, 2007 09:28PM

So, I have a 3.9L v8 with Edelbrock Carb in a 79 B - nice start (I am on the road), but now I'm thinking about converting to Fuel Injection. Do we need a new subject for the Forum, or do I need to find the right article in the archives from the newsletter?

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Fuel Injection
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 14, 2007 11:32PM

I can point you to a few Rover EFI articles...

Notes from Jim Stuart's excellent tech session: [www.britishv8.org]
Notes on Glen Towery's approach: [www.britishv8.org] (at the bottom of this article you'll find further links)
Overview of the 14CUX system: [www.britishv8.org]

Use the website's search features to find much more (including information on MegaSquirt and Simple Digital Systems EFI systems, plus a very interesting article on Ford EFI.) Continuing forward, I'd like to include two or three more EFI articles in every issue of the newsletter, and not just Rover EFI either of course. I think a lot more of us are going to start doing this upgrade.

donfaber
Don Faber
Terra Alta WV
(111 posts)

10/31/2007 10:53PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB 3.9L Rover V8

authors avatar
Posted by: donfaber
Date: December 15, 2007 12:42PM

Thanks!

TKMad
Tyler Madia

(16 posts)

12/15/2007 05:14PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: TKMad
Date: December 15, 2007 05:17PM

I would highly recommend the Megasquirt system as well. [www.megasquirt.info]

I use this in my '73 BGT on the stock engine and it works very well. It controls the fuel and ignition and cost me $850 total. The best part was that by building the entire system yourself it is a fantastic learning experience.

Good luck!
Tyler

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: December 17, 2007 08:23AM

I also recommend megasquirt. I have two systems and built a third for my brother's TR4-A that we haven't installed yet. It's easy to tune.

Jim

jimbb88
Jim Stuart
Maryland, USA
(47 posts)

10/23/2007 07:43PM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V8 conversion Rover 4.0 fuel injected

Posted by: jimbb88
Date: December 17, 2007 07:30PM

Start with the stock Rover system using the 14CUX computer and get the car up & running.

Next step might be the Megasquirt, but if you have no previous fuel injection experience, I would start simple, then if you feel the need for finer tuning, Megasquirt seems to be a great system.

Steve Mc
Steve McNary

(7 posts)

10/27/2007 08:59AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Steve Mc
Date: December 17, 2007 07:49PM

I have a 3.5 liter V8 with the 1980 Rover SD-1 "Federal" EFI set-up. I just got my Megasquirt hardware and plan to do the upgrade over the winter. The early federal system uses a flapper type air flow meter. The later 14CUX system uses a hotwire mass flow measurement. The Megasquirt system uses a MAP sensor. Lots of information out there on the internet. Take some time to research the various systems. Either the Federal or the 14CUX are good starting points, although both require some machining to fit under the hood. Also, there are many options for fuel delivery. I have a stock fuel tank and sending unit with a low pressure pump feeding a separate surge tank. The surge tank gravity feeds the high pressure pump. Alot of guys have had good luck with an in-tank swirl pot. As previously mentioned, do some research. There are alot of good options out there. Good luck.

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

01/30/2008 06:03PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: scot abbott
Date: April 03, 2008 08:32PM

I added EFI to my 4 banger and used a Megasquirt. Works great. Made my own injector holders. My motor is very tired (110 psi in cyl's, blows smoke out valve cover), but still performs better than original specs. Total cost was less than $500 for the whole works. The first set is a pair of Zenith Stromberg 175's put on a twin su manifold. The blak spacer blocks were oped a little for the throttle plates to clear them. The car runs great!! I have also made other adapters for the popular SU and Zenith stromberg sizes. Patterns are available free.
twin 175 ZS  injected from below.jpg

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 03, 2008 08:49PM

For the sake of comparison, here are three of the manifolds and carb setups I've used:

Top left twin 175 ZS with injectors from above (covers removed to show how it fits)
Top right: Twin 1.50 SU's with adapters on top
Bottom left: Twin 1.50 SU's with injectors from below.carb.
3 different setups.jpg

The setups with injectors from below look very stock when an air filter is in place. It hides the tubing and wires.

I have added TPS's to them as needed.

Typical cost for carb body conversion to efi is less than $10 per carb, including injector(used, usually $2-$3 each, ebay ), copper (approx $1, roofing company) and high pressure fuel fitting ($2, from Fastenal). It takes another 3 or 4 dollars for tubing and hose clamps.

For my MGB and for the Triumph I use two 19 #/hr injectors in each carb. They weor great and are cheap. Larger injectors (38-45 #/hr) injectors are available if one wants only one injector per carb and wants to spend some more money to get a more trim appearance.

I expect to use 6 injectors in my XKE's, and they are like 28#/hr. I can always adjust the pressure regulator to get it optimized...

legal disclaimer: working with cars and fuel injection can be hazardous and result in fire, personal injury , property loss, or death, especially is care is not taken to minimize the hazards.Use the posts and my information at your own risk..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 08:53PM by scot abbott.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 03, 2008 10:48PM

Okay, can't help it.

"Told my girl I'll have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburettor"

Many years ago, a local speed shop used this song from Queen during their radio commercial. Rock on.

[www.youtube.com]

'm In Love With My Car lyrics

Oooh
The machine of a dream, such a clean machine
With the pistons a pumpin', and the hubcaps all gleam
When I'm holding your wheel
All I hear is your gear
With my hand on your grease gun
Mmm it's like a disease son
I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile
Get a grip on my boy racer rollbar
Such a thrill when your radials squeal

Told my girl I'll have to forget her
Rather buy me a new carburettor
So she made tracks saying this is the end now
Cars don't talk back they're just four wheeled friends now

When I'm holding your wheel
All I hear is your gear
When I'm cruisin' in overdrive
Don't have to listen to no run of the mill talk jive

I'm in love with my car (love with my car), gotta feel for my automobile
I'm in love with my car (love with my car), string back gloves in my automolove

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 04, 2008 08:58PM

This is one way to speed up the MG. Add fuel injection. My tired old RBB (110 psi in cyl's, one broken ring) with twin 175 Zenith Strombergs converted to EFI did about 20% better than original specs. It'll be a rocket pretty soon...
If you want the stock look and nearly as good performance, try the other one -also pictured below...
notice the injectors.JPG

Mr. T
Tony Andrews
Kent Island, Maryland
(153 posts)

10/23/2007 03:59PM

Main British Car:
'75 mgb, '74 grille, morspeed bumpers Rover 3.9

authors avatar
Posted by: Mr. T
Date: April 06, 2008 07:15PM

It's apparently been a LONG.....winter for you Carl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.