(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
rv8 style header hole reinforcing rings
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 27, 2009 07:19PM

I'm going to put a reinforcing cover like Robert Milks (pic below) & others have... Is there any value in also adding reinforcing rings? If so, what gauge metal?
RobertMilks-F[1].jpg

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Re: rv8 style header hole reinforcing rings
Posted by: mowog1
Date: June 27, 2009 11:47PM

The Brits require this piece for a car to pass the MOT if memory serves me correctly. They apparently feel that it restores the structural strenghth lost by cutting the exit hole.

I think it finishes the car off nicely, but I'm not sold on the idea that the car is in jeopardy of folding in half without using one.

MG four six eight
Bill Jacobson
Wa state
(325 posts)

10/23/2007 02:15AM

Main British Car:
73 MGB Buick 215, Eaton/GM supercharger

Posted by: MG four six eight
Date: June 28, 2009 09:57PM

I didn't use them on mine. Although the cover plates are thicker, .062" if I remember correctly. After almost 10 years of use, no issues with the inner fenders. I used nut-serts in the inner fender, for the mounting screws to attach to.

Bill

302GT
Larry Shimp

(241 posts)

11/17/2007 01:13PM

Main British Car:
1968 MGB GT Ford 302 crate engine

authors avatar
Posted by: 302GT
Date: August 05, 2009 06:33AM

I cut as small of a hole as possible, then I welded in filler panels to make the hole even smaller. The panels fill the vertical cuts towards the outer ede of the fenders. To reinforce the opening I bent a strip of sheet metal to a V shape and fitted it all around the edge of the hole. For the bends I cut pie shaped slices out of the inside radius (keeping the outside edge intact). I also drilled random holes for welding. Once the strip was in place, I squeezed it with pliers so it lay flat on both sides of the sheet metal then welded it in place using the holes and any gaps in the pie sections. Before painting I covered it with seam sealer to prevent rusting.
PC050002.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.