Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Trooper
Kenneth Frasier
Huntingtown,Maryland
(13 posts)

08/20/2009 07:12PM

Main British Car:
1974 TR-6

Re: Hello, help!!!
Posted by: Trooper
Date: July 14, 2010 05:24AM

Thank you! That sounds like the route to go no need to buy something that I do not really need. Well I guess I have to go to work. But I will be thinking about what to do next. Why do I have to have a job to build a car? LOL Will talk to you soon. Hope you feel better soon.

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Posted by: alana
Date: July 14, 2010 09:59PM

The TR6 body isn't that heavy (about 300#), but it isn't that strong either. These things have the structural integrity of spaghetti. Before you take it off the frame, remove the doors and brace the door openings. Use the hinges and the screw for the door striker plates. Cross brace that bhind the CG to give you somewhere to lift. Use this and the lifting holes under the hood - if they aren't rotten.

If you are doing bodywork and aren't an expert do ONE PIECE AT A TIME (I'm shouting deliberately).

Don't whatever you do get all excited and split the body (which at least one of the resto manuals tells you to do). You will have the devil of a time getting it all back together and aligned.

Also note that some of the aftermarket panels are a lousy fit. In many cases you are going to be better off getting good used panels if you can find them. Regardless of what you do, expect to spend a lot of time getting the panel gaps looking right. If you do, the reward is a great looking car. Lose patience and no matter how good the paint is, it'll still look half assed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 10:03PM by alana.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: July 21, 2010 12:04PM

So what's the new news Ken? Having fun working on the body shell?

Trooper
Kenneth Frasier
Huntingtown,Maryland
(13 posts)

08/20/2009 07:12PM

Main British Car:
1974 TR-6

Posted by: Trooper
Date: January 13, 2011 01:03PM

Well I am back with a update. I replaced both outer sill and inner sill. Did a littler work on the floorpans. I found a shop that does acid dipping. So as of last week I dropped the car off and should get it back on Jan. 17. It will be going right to the paint shop for metal washing and primer coat. I will put up some pictures this weekend. I will also take a few pictures when I pick it up.

motek
George Smathers
Spokane, WA
(118 posts)

09/12/2009 02:45PM

Main British Car:
1967 Morris Minor (48 hp @ crank!), 1971 TR6 302

Posted by: motek
Date: January 13, 2011 05:00PM

Sounds good. Any decisions on a frame and engine?

George
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.