Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

dlmos
David Mosely

(1 posts)

08/15/2009 09:38AM

Main British Car:

Spitfire V8 conversion planning
Posted by: dlmos
Date: September 28, 2009 12:01AM

Hello everybody! I'm planning out a V8 conversion for my Spit and have a couple questions. The drivetrain is going to be a chevy small block(350hp) with an auto trans and a jag IRS rearend. The car is planned as a daily driver and will never see the track. My questions are about the chassis and ground clearance. I really like the custom chassis Mike Renolds used here: [www.britishv8.org] . Would something like this ride to low for street use?

So, what is an acceptable ride heigth for a daily driver? And would the original chassis do the job for a street car that will never see the strip?

Thanks for any help on this one,
Dave

turbospitfire
Max Brewster

(49 posts)

04/25/2008 01:05PM

Main British Car:
1979 Triumph Spitfire Ford 2.3 Liter Turbo

authors avatar
Re: Spitfire V8 conversion planning
Posted by: turbospitfire
Date: October 08, 2009 01:20PM

Hi Dave, I believe the standard ride height on the spitfire is 5 inches. I kept my conversion to 5 inches as well. It seems to handle most obstacles on the road.

Cheers,
Max Brewster

v6spitfire
Mike Reynolds

(10 posts)

03/17/2009 08:06PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: v6spitfire
Date: October 14, 2009 10:00AM

David - I just read the comment about using the OE chassis - I don't recommend it for what your doing. The weight and torque you will produce with a 350hp small block will twist it. You will need to build a frame. As for the IRS - can't help you there. I've never played with them.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 14, 2009 11:01AM

An acceptable height is anything that you are happy with. That is why we have everything from cars that scrape on speed bumps to cars on 4wd chassis'. You're sure to find something in between that suits you, it's just a balance between cornering and clearance with ride thrown into the mix so you trade off in the direction you want to go. Pay no mind to what anyone else thinks, it's your opinion that matters.

You will have to build a frame. I've seen one for a spit built from rectangular tubing. It looked stout but heavy. Again, a trade off between weight, appearance, strength, and ease of construction. Large size and thin walls usually mean lighter weight.

The Jag IRS can be made to work. You can shorten the arms and half shafts or buy them ready made.

Jim

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: October 15, 2009 09:46AM

I'd keep the ride height at about 4" or a little more. You can go lower, but I've lived with a low car and it's not any fun to drive as you constantly have to be on the lookout for any bump in the road and that takes away a lot of the pleasure of driving, especially on highway trips. I missed out on many events for years because I was uncomfortable driving the car on unfamiliar roads. Last year I raised it an inch or so and had a ball going to the British V8 2009 meet in Durham, about 2500 miles round trip. I wouldn't have done that before. For a street car you probably won't notice the handling difference between 3 and 6 inches of clearance, but you will be happier driving the higher car.

spit builder
Jeff Cude

(2 posts)

10/16/2008 12:56AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: spit builder
Date: December 05, 2009 12:51AM

I am getting a read good feeling about five inches at bottom of frame rails. I will see if I can send a good picture of my highly modified chassis. If not you can get a good look at my car on mypowerblock.com under group (british cars) It is a red "73"
spit with stroked 302 ford. The pics show an auto trans. but it will actually be a five speed. My chassis is very strong designed with 400 horse in mind especially with the roll bar. Look at the two crossmembers passed through the frame, one at the back and one in place of the mid body mount. Look at the X under the oilpan. It is 2x3x .120 wall. there is too much done to describe
further but look at powerblock and PM me with any questions. Have fun.
spitchassis-print3.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.