Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TR8Gram
Cathy Frosh
Bowman, GA
(4 posts)

09/27/2008 01:26AM

Main British Car:
1980 TR8 modified 3.5L

authors avatar
TR8 overheats with AC on
Posted by: TR8Gram
Date: October 18, 2008 03:21AM

Hello from the South! I have a 1980 TR8 that has a nice new motor from Woody at The Wedge Shop. The problem I have is that here in the South, especially during the Summer months, I really need to run the AC. But when I do, there are two problems: 1) the AC really isn't blowing cold air, just cool and only for a short period then the air turns warm like outside air and the second problem 2) when the AC is on, the car starts overheating. We have electric fans on it, and they do keep the temperature down to normal when I am driving in the hot & humid August days, but mainly when I am driving 55 or faster, but not so much when driving around town where I am not getting any faster than 35 mph between red lights.

Someone suggested adding an oil cooler, but my husband hasn't figured out where to add it that wouldn't interfer with air getting to the radiator. I realize that most of your BLM's V8 conversions don't have AC, but I still hope that someone out there might have some suggestions for these overheating problems.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer!

cliff
cliff cook
Ridgecrest, Ca
(7 posts)

10/20/2008 01:19AM

Main British Car:
'80 TR7 DHC, '79 TR7 FHC 3'1L Chev V6 , 3.8 Buick V6

Re: TR8 overheats with AC on
Posted by: cliff
Date: October 20, 2008 01:52AM

Cathy, I live in the SoCal desert and solved a similar problem with my TR by adding a panel/floor to the area just forward of the radiator to keep all frontal air going thru the radiator instead of rolling off the bottom and under the car, I also added a junkyard spoiler just below the radiatior which seemed to help. To make the floor template I cut a posterboard pattern/template of the desired shape, it must rest on the flange forward of the radiator, then cut it from 16ga sheetmetal. To install the plate/floor I had to cut the vertical support centered in the air inlet cavity, to slip the plate into place thus creating a tunnel to direct all the air over/thru the radiator. The plate was then pop. riveted in place and sealed with a silicon caulk, to prevent rattles. A backing plate was then fastened into place behind the vertical support using sheetmetal screws thus restoring the cut vertical support. More airflow equals better cooling.
The A/C issue sounds like a servicing problem that needs to be addressed by a reliable A/C shop.
I hope this helps!!
Cliff

spridget
bill green
Maine
(68 posts)

03/22/2008 01:29PM

Main British Car:
3 1980 TR8, 1 TR7 2 Bugeye Sprite 1 MG midget TR8 3.5 and 5.0, Sprite 1098 and ?

Posted by: spridget
Date: October 24, 2008 03:39PM

Are you sure the car is overheating? I have had several (3) TR8's and they all indicated increased temperature when the A/C was on and the more electrical items on the higher the temp guage would go. When I checked into it further the actual coolant/engine temp was normal. Upon more checking I was able to find that the problem was electrical and was not a cooling problem. Even though the temp guage showed higher temp the cooling system was running at normal temp. Hope this helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 03:41PM by spridget.

real_old_guy
Clay Thompson

(9 posts)

05/08/2008 10:09PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: real_old_guy
Date: December 31, 2008 11:28PM

Ok, you have a new engine from Woody, right? So, let me guess, you went from the twin Strombergs to a 4 barrel, right?

The original manifold has a low speed fan switch that is temp driven on the intake manifold. Then there is another switch attached to the radiator for high speed. The switch on the manifold was probably not carried over to the new manifold, so you are probably only get one fan speed. Also, when you turn on the A/C both fans are suppose to go on high, probably not happening.

Hot air after a while? You didn't say where you are in the south. I have had many A/C expansion coils to freeze up from too much moisture in the air. When they do, no air can go through the coil. If you turn the system off, they thaw out and let the air flow through again. I can also be caused by dirt and yuck sitting on the front of the expansion coil, blocking air flow and causing to coil to freeze up. Get a lot of pop-rivets and take a lot of photos as you completely remove the dash to get to the heater-A/C matrix!! Get plenty of foam so you can rebuild the unit and take a lot of photos of the controls BEFORE you disassemble the unit, as they are tricky to reset.

Good luck!

ROG (aka jclay)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.