Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

76tr7rules
Anthony Perna

(3 posts)

03/02/2009 12:58PM

Main British Car:

Anyone try putting any of these engines in a TR7
Posted by: 76tr7rules
Date: March 02, 2009 01:52PM

So I have a few good running engines sitting around, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting them in a TR7 and if so how it was done and how tuff it was.
Ive got:
302 Ford With a C4
3.8 Ford V6 (carbureted) C4
Chevrolet 283 (no trans but i do have a 4l60E)
Olds 403 (th350 Trans)
Olds 350 (th350 Trans or long tale th375)
Also might be able to get a ford 8.8 from a friend

I have a 231 v6 that needs a rebuild but Im trying to avoid rebuilding and use something I have laying around. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
Anthony

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: Anyone try putting any of these engines in a TR7
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 02, 2009 02:25PM

The Olds and chevy will be quite heavy, probably more weight than you want, about 200# more than the V6's or a 215. The 231 would be a good choice as a kit is available meaning all the parts can be bought. The Ford V6 and 302 are unknowns. Probably could be done, but it's not common. My guess is that you'll spend less rebuilding the 231 than you will making those work.

Jim

76tr7rules
Anthony Perna

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 02, 2009 02:30PM

well the 231 is going to need some decent machine work, it has rust in the cylinder bores, grooves in the crank, and I'm not sure how bad the heads are yet, but I'm sure they'll need a rebuild too. So I know I will be into the motor for at least $1200, where as everything else runs great has low miles and some performance parts on them. But I do understand where you are coming from, the Johns cars kit is available and makes it easy to do. But I would appreciate some other opinions on this before doing it, or even other build ideas.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: March 02, 2009 04:08PM

What do you hope to use the car for? Without knowing that...

Ford 302 is versatile.

On the other hand, here's a TR7 with a Ford 3.8 to think about: [www.britishv8.org]

It looks like you've got a bunch of automatic transmissions, and personally I wouldn't want any of them in a little British sports car... They're good for consistent ETs or for commuting in heavy traffic, but I just don't find them much fun on a twisty road. However, you might be able to trade one of them for a decent manual transmission.

76tr7rules
Anthony Perna

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 03, 2009 05:55AM

Honestly Im looking to run the car around on a almost daily basis and maybe run it at the track now and again. Plus I have a bad knee and driving stick usually agrivates it. Im really looking for a quick good handling car.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: March 03, 2009 08:33AM

John's Cars recommends an automatic with their conversions. Not sure why, but check out their website. Anyway, Jim is working on a pretty cool setup for an automatic on his MG. It really all depends on how it is set up. Sounds like you have enough hardware there to do some horse trading and get exactly what you want/need.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: March 03, 2009 08:50AM

How are your fabrication skills? Do you feel comfortable with the idea of welding up a set of headers and motor mounts, plus welding any sort of body mods that might have to be made, including making a new crossmember? If you do then any of those swaps should be within reach. If not they are going to be real expensive to have someone else do for you. If somewhere in between then you will either spend a whole lot of time practicing to get the necessary competency, pay someone else to do it, or make substandard parts.

What is your timetable? If long then the odds are better for the other swaps. If short, well time equals money. How is your dedication? Same sort of deal, a non standard swap will test you in all areas.

I'm trying not to be negative but at the same time realistic. For the 302 you first want to see what you would have for sump clearance, and then oil filter clearance. If OK there it might work, but what we generally see on new swaps is a lot of time and effort spent on the areas mentioned above, whereas the established swap tends to be more of a bolt together affair. So you have to balance the cost of the pieces against the time required for fabricating them. It would not be unusual to spend as much as 80 hours on a set of headers for instance, and that gets real expensive when you have to pay someone else a standard shop rate to do it. Finding a few hours on weekends and evenings to do it yourself, it might take you 6 months to do the same job, or more. So if you consider that a custom exhaust might set you back several thousand dollars and then more for the mounts and other details, the rebuild cost isn't that much by comparison. For that matter, we've found that by far the most economical route is to go and buy a good, low mileage junkyard engine of the most suitable type for the car and then buy the parts to install it. By contrast, look at Calvin's LS1-TR6 swap and you begin to get a better understanding of the skills and dedication that it takes to complete a non-standard swap. Bear in mind too that his swap is rather well financed. All these things have to be taken into account. Far better to do a swap that you know you can finish than to take a chance and then stall out halfway there.

Jim

tycorace
mark thompson

(45 posts)

05/31/2008 02:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tycorace
Date: March 05, 2009 01:56AM

The problem with most of the engines you have is you have a car that is very limited in space and converting to an engine longer than a v6 is a lot of extra work, with not much extra preformance. I would recomend looking at a Subaru WRX set up with AWD. The reason I would use this set up is takg out the front suspension and engine/trans combo. and replacimng it with the Subaru set up shouldnot be to hard f time is taken to mount the Subrau drive train and rear end , you will then have something different and depending onwhat you [plan on doing with the car on what you do next . As far as auto trans what is more acting moucho and shifting gears or wining The auto trans is more reliable and can free up your mind to concentrating on driving instead of shifting.
But do alot of thinking and assesing your +'s and -'s before starting and make sure you money will get you through with your project .
building a car is a big undertaking so do it right and enjoy.
Mark thompson

tycorace
mark thompson

(45 posts)

05/31/2008 02:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tycorace
Date: March 07, 2009 12:13PM

If you want a TR 7 with a v8 why not buy a TR 8 I am selling ,while your idea of putting another engine in a TR 7 is a good idea ,but if you have to ask which engine you are probably not ready to undertake a first time engine switch . I know when I think of a car and think of switching engines I can work through most of the problems I will incounter because of the cars I have built and raced. The question I would ask you is if you are married or have a special girl friend what does she think of you getting dirty and taking time away from her. I feel that this aspect of working on cars is under stated and with out the support of you partner the chances of success is not great. So before you get going ask which engine , ask if you have a partner's support And if you are interested in a TR 7 with a V8 my TR 8 is for sale. I love the car but it is getting hard for me to get in and out of. Getting old is a bitch.. I am working on a Triumph Stag that has a 4.3 chevy V6 and plan on selling the TR 8 , it ha s a 4 bll carb and manifold and a chev 4 speed auto trans. it is avery nice car and has won several awards in car shows.
If you are interested in the TR8 or have other questions send me a PM and we can talk.
\Mark Thompson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.