Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

TriumphWill
Will

(3 posts)

06/23/2010 11:45AM

Main British Car:
1980 Triumph Spitfire Modified 1500

Spitfire carb swap
Posted by: TriumphWill
Date: August 01, 2010 03:43PM

Hi, Currently I have a 1980 Triumph Spitfire with all the bits and bobs such as fast road cam, balanced internals, stage 3 cylinder head, stainless exhaust, etc...

However I finally got fed up with the twin SU carbs, not because of the design or anything, but due to the fact that being 30 years old every linkage, screw, mount, fuel line is absolutely knackerd. I looked into the option of side draft webers, but really the cost seems too much.

I therefore decided to go with my area of moderate knowledge and use bike carbs (Mikuni BS38, off a GS650), so all purists had probably stop reading now!

Many of the younger crowd (Peugeot, Citroen, Toyota, Honda etc...) use bike carbs as a cheap way of getting a bit more power, after all, provided the jetting is set up correctly (air flow is not a problem either), a carb is a carb and can't tell what it is bolted too.

Obviously the inlet manifold is all from scratch, along with custom machined inlet rubbers from a Kawasaki 750. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know what the main jets need to be drilled to? Currently 1.1mm, I was thinking 1.5mm -1.6mm.

2. The vacuum advance for the distributor needs to be attached, on the SUs it was just behind the throttle plate on the one carb. I assume a similar setup on one of the Mikunis would be okay?

Any help would be appreciated, Will

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.