Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tferrer
Tyson Ferrer

(3 posts)

01/18/2008 08:19PM

Main British Car:

Art Harts TR4- Questions
Posted by: tferrer
Date: January 18, 2008 08:33PM

Hi Guys....I'm new to this forum and well... new to the idea of owning a TR-4 with a V8 in it but somehow the bug has bitten me and I find myself going to look at one out tomorrow morning with the idea of buying it. Like I mentioned earlier I really dont know anything about TR4's or what I should be looking for. I noticed Art Harts TR-4 was put together by a guy in San Jose, CA by the name of Dan Tyler. I'm in San Francisco and would love to speak with one or both of these chaps if anyone knows how to get a hold of them. I'd love to pick their brains and get an idea of what I should be looking for and what one of these conversions are really worth if done well. If anyone knows Art or Dan I'd really appreciate it if you'd forward my contact onfo. It might keep me from making a big mistake.

Thanks!

Tyson
415-497-5387

cortina_gt
John Butruce
San Jose, CA
(6 posts)

12/24/2007 05:17PM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 302, 1965 Cortina GT, 1964 Country Squire

Re: Art Harts TR4- Questions
Posted by: cortina_gt
Date: January 19, 2008 01:19AM

I.m also new to the forum although there were a couple of photos of my TR6/302 on this site for a few years. Tyson, I don't know Dan Tyler, but I'm in San Jose if you want to take a look at my conversion.

[www.britishv8.org]

John

tferrer
Tyson Ferrer

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 21, 2008 03:49PM

Hi John- very well done. Much cleaner than the one i looked at. I did end up passing on that car. It was well done but it had a horrible C-4 with a shift kit that displayed brutal shifting tendencies. Much prefer a manual so I will keep looking. If anyone knows of a well done TR-4 conversion please let me know.

arthart
Art Hart
Ottsville, PA
(10 posts)

11/24/2007 02:05PM

Main British Car:
'63 TR4 surrey Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: arthart
Date: January 27, 2008 01:58PM

Tyson,

I don't know how much good talking to Don Tyler would be. Since I bought his car and have talked with him some I'm not sure how much of the work he actually did himself. I have an idea with the nature of his job that he has much time for such a project and from questions I've asked he has had to relay my inquiry to the people who did the work.

I think you can get lots of valuable infomation on reading each and every "how it was done" article in the Triumph photo gallery for the particular car you are interested in. And if that's a TR4, look also at TR6 conversion articles too. I've gained much insight from these articles.

If you want to talk in person feel free to give me a call (610-847-4614) EST (Ottsville, PA). I'm retired, so theoretically you can call me anytime up until about 10PM EST. In actual fact I may not hear the phone because I'm working in my machine shop or may be out running errands.

Cheers,

Art

tferrer
Tyson Ferrer

(3 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: January 28, 2008 09:57PM

Art,

Thanks for the information. I'll give you a shout in the next few days to chat. I appreciate it.

Tyson

rickh
rick hefner

(2 posts)

03/31/2010 04:04PM

Main British Car:
1967 TR4A stock ( currently )

Posted by: rickh
Date: March 31, 2010 04:40PM

Me Too , New.
I`ve got a 1967 TR4A and want to put an LS1 into it. I`m a newbie to all of this but surrounded by lots of gearheads. I`m 56 years old . My first car in high school was a `65 TR4A but had to sell it in college . Wouldn`t shut up regretting it so on our first Christmas together my wife snuck the `67 in our garage . Driven rarely. Got a beautifull new paint job a year ago .

Now I`d like to go with the V8 . Have access to the LS1. Any comments , advise , wisdom will be greately appreciated !!!!!

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: March 31, 2010 08:59PM

Hi Rick, welcome. I have a 66 IRS model. All we did to it was add multi-port electronic fuel injection. It's fun!

If you want to search this forum, there is an interesting thread about TR4s and V8 conversions, how their value is affected, etc.

Dan B.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.