Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

ckersey
Clay Kersey

(2 posts)

07/30/2011 10:26PM

Main British Car:

TR4 Confusion
Posted by: ckersey
Date: July 31, 2011 11:45AM

My grandfather finally decided to get rid of his 1963 TR4 that has been parked since 1977. I just couldn't let it get out of the family, so now it is my garage waiting for a full restoration. The body isn't in terrible shape (except for the floor pans), but the engine has been sitting for 30+ years without the head. Needless to say, it is locked up tight. I have messed with a couple old Jeeps for the last few years, but this is my first major restoration project.

Now for my delimma - I want more than the stock 105hp, but I don't want to go crazy either. I would like to get somewhere in the range of 200hp. Performance building and supercharging the stock engine looks awfully expensive to get that level of power, so I am considering a swap. I was thinking a V6 would get me that level of power, without having to do a ton of cutting under the hood. I have seen several sites/posts that mention putting a Buick V6 in them, but I haven't found any good writeups on the conversion. I am open to just about any swap on it. I just want to get it back on the road and have some fun driving it.

Any suggestions for the engine?
Side Shot w Parts Inside.jpg

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Re: TR4 Confusion
Posted by: Dan B
Date: July 31, 2011 02:13PM

Hi Clay,

You may want to peruse the gallery, [www.britishv8.org]

Look at the TR6s as well as the TR4 cars. They are very similar. Also, take a look at Calvin Grannis's build thread and Alan Atkinson's posts on his TR250. Those should give you some ideas.

I fuel injected my TR4A with Megaquirt. It seems to have a good bit more power now.

Dan B

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: July 31, 2011 03:33PM

Jim Prettyleaf TR6 build for autocross with Buick V6. [www.britishv8.org]

The Chevy V6 is a good way to go also. Joe had a chevy V6 in his TR6 and now going with V-tech engine. [bowtie6.com]

What ever you want just search to get ideas.

Calvin

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: July 31, 2011 04:13PM

Clay on this forum you are in good company. In terms of improving this car you have many options. In the past I was very biased towards the Ford small block and many ways I still am and you will find a few TR4's on this website with a Ford small block engine. If you can get your hands on a Mustang SVO turbocharged 4 cylinder engine that is in decent shape then you got a good engine for your car, there are a few TR6's on this website that have gone this route. However these engines are getting hard to find and GM has a great engine that would work just as good and this is the Ecotec 4 cylinder engine. The 2.2 and 2.4 engines are front wheel drive and can be hooked up to a T5 transmission using a custom bellhousing from Quads For Rods (google these guys). The Pontiac Solstice has a 2.4 engine that is RWD and if you can get one of these then you are more than halfway there. Google Bowtie TR6 and you will find a website that will help you with the Ecotec engine as this website has stuff on swapping this engine into a TR4 and a TR6.
If you are set on a V6 then the Buick V6 is good but you will have some problems with the oil filter being in the way and the engine is a 90 degree engine which makes it as wide as a V8 and you will have to move your steering shaft. A better option (this is my personal bias as I am putting one in my TR6) is to look at a GM 3400 or 3500 or 3900V6 for your car. This engine is light and compact as it has aluminum heads and is a 60 degree engine which makes it narrower. I am putting a 3400 in my TR6 and the steering shaft will not have to be moved, the header on that side just has to be tweaked a bit to fit. The 3400 with headers and a proper tuning will give you an honest 200 hp, a 3500 which is a little more work to convert will give you even more. The GM 3900 will bring you up to 240hp but only down side is that these engines require a lot of work to convert to RWD. If you want to get info on how to convert these GM V6 engines from FWD to RWD google British Car Conversions in Dayton Ohio and take a look at the stuff this outfit has come up with. If you are interested phone them and have a talk with Marc Traylor he is a very honest and helpful guy.
If you want to go all the way with the ultimate engine then go with the GM LS engine, however be prepared to pay the price as these engines are hot items in the world of speed and power.
I wish you luck on your project.

Cheers
Byron

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Posted by: alana
Date: July 31, 2011 09:59PM

You might also want to consider the Zetec - small and will get around 200hp with a bit of work.
If you decide on the LSJ have a look at Al Gary's build thread (as well as bowtie6) here - [6-pack.org]
Other options - Dave De Walt has a BMW M engine in his. Google milemarker60.
Another guy I know has a Supra mill in there - [6-pack.org]

Also consider this - direct drop in with only a tiny trim for the manifold. Cheap swap $ wise.
[tr250v8.com]
[tr250v8.com]
[tr250v8.com]

ckersey
Clay Kersey

(2 posts)

07/30/2011 10:26PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: ckersey
Date: August 05, 2011 11:47AM

So I am leaning toward the smaller GM v6.

But I may have to hld off on the swap for a while. I cleaned it out the other day, and have much more body/tub repairs than anticipated. I thought it just needed new floor pans, but after close inspection, the floorpan decay has gotten into the tub, and the bottoms of the front fenders are soft. I am thinking I need to spend the time now to get all of that straightened out before I begin on the drive train.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and I am sure I will have more questions as attempt to get his classic back on the road.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.