Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

chromoly tubing swing arms
Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: December 25, 2012 10:39AM

I biult these 11 years ago long before you could buy cv axles or disc breaks shocks are custom bilstein 90 compresion 280 rebound arms swing in 8 ball baerings the 347 crushed nylatron bushings in just 3 days the arms geometry is not tr6
sized shocks 001.JPG
sized shocks 005.JPG
sized shocks 006.JPG
sized shocks 007.JPG

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Re: chromoly tubing swing arms
Date: December 25, 2012 11:05AM

more photos
sized shocks 008.JPG
sized shocks 003.JPG
size2 001.JPG
mg3 sized 002.JPG the last photo is my sons first car he is 15 years old we have a few months in work in to it

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: December 26, 2012 05:23AM

That's very impressive. Most people - me included, on the whole - never get beyond bolting together someone else's bits & pieces. So you went with your own geometry... did that cure the acceleration squat?

Ivor

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: December 26, 2012 12:54PM

Trailing link IRS in 510(similar design) had to use twice as heavy springs and relocate front points lower to eliminate squat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 05:39PM by mgb260.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: December 29, 2012 07:07PM

What you call squat. I call throttle steer TR sixes drive and handle wonderful because of what you call squat everybody wants to get rid of it it can make the cars ill handling. But I think it's what makes them drive awesome I fell in love with my TR six the first time I drove it and it was a piece of junk that reer suspension of a TR six has some unique characteristics it gives you incredible weight transfer automatic camber adjustment and the car is four-wheel steer many other car companies have used suspension like that for years BMW Porsche Nissan Datsun and many others the trick is not to stop squat in the rear end the trick is to learn to control it good example of what I'm talking about is to watch the videos I posted on this site watch the car goes 0 to 90 in five seconds almost exactly 1/8 of a mile and you can see from the video the car goes perfectly straight and you couldn't steer it with the steering wheel in second gear if you had to it would take me a long time to explain all the racing tricks that I have incorporated into my antique TR six I would love to help educate people in how to keep their TR six driving and feeling like a TR six and outperforming anything on the road I have thousands of hours in research and trial and error in figuring out how to get the geometry perfect for a TR six there are millions of little tricks incorporated into in my car and I'm not done yet. The greatest quote in all racing is from a man named Richard Petty. He said quotation ( run what you brung ) he said in an interview once one day I decided to stop looking in my neighbor's trailer to see what they had and look in my own trailer and see what God gave me and use it thus the quote run what you brung signed always thinking, Tom Ahlstrom a.k.a. British automotive design

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 03:45PM by tomsbad6.

roverman
Art Gertz
Winchester, CA.
(3188 posts)

04/24/2009 11:02AM

Main British Car:
74' Jensen Healy, 79 Huff. GT 1, 74 MGB Lotus 907,2L

Posted by: roverman
Date: January 02, 2013 11:55AM

My understanding, wrong/right, in using trailing link rear, if your instant center is aimed/meets at the center of gravity, there will be zero squat ? Obviously this moves through wheel travel. I have been warned of the perils of using trailing link/rear , in my "Hemi Healey", due to toe change. Care to comment ? Perhaps this should move to "suspension" ?Thanks, roverman.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: January 09, 2013 03:12PM

Reply to roverman I believe the problem most people have with trailarms that change toe and camber is they do not understand how and when they work. You do not just put them on the car and expect them to be right but when they are right they work very well a good example of this would be Sam halkius's car and how good his car is in the rain seems like there is a video on here a couple of years ago and him winning a race in an absolute downpour Sam's TR six was dominant on that day in the rain. You drive a TR six different than other cars coming into a corner you come in throttle on and the back end of the car will tuclk and turned if you let off the gas you will drive right out of the corner and into the wall stay on the gas it will continue to turn when you can see out of the corner you feed it more gas and the car will jump off the turn you cannot lift mid-corner in a TR six if you drive very aggressive that is what the car wants this is just one advantage of toe change plus the car is changing camber at the same time this is kind of a no-brainer on the road course any 10-year-old kid knows running on wet grass you angle your feet to turn and not fall on your butt and no one had to teach us that the real problem comes in the fact that this is only part of the equation I am a drag racer to make the car do all that and then hook up and go straight that is a whole other subject to talk about. The bottom line is if the driver is afraid to push the gas when the car is about to break loose in a corner he should probably use a straight axle I'm surprised nobody has asked the question what geometry did you change some of the changes are very obvious just from the pictures. Good luck with your little car with big motor hemi sounds like a lot of fun I would say build it however you want to build that's what makes it your car

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 08:42PM by tomsbad6.

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Posted by: Med72
Date: January 12, 2013 11:02PM

Tom:

Beautiful car. Ive seen it on You Tube, its a beast. Im building a 72 TR6. I found a R200 from a Nissan 300zx TT. I noticed you used the Nissan hub and disc. Can you tell me where you had the CV axles shorten and mated to the 5 bolt hubs.?

Thanks

Art Medrano

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: January 12, 2013 11:36PM

Hey Art I did my axles along time ago when I did the back end of my car there is nobody in the country that could cut the splines for a Nissan axle my axles were shortened they went through a process of being welded straightened heatreted and x-rayed they did that process six times to complete. The access to cost me 2800 bucks it was done by a man named John:cuhare madina motorsports in Ohio my axles and breaks predate Richard goods by about six years whoever is building axles for Richard could cut a set of axles for you I'm sure Richard would be happy to help you out good luck if you have any other questions just let me know my shortened axles seemed to work just fine they must be strong I have problems rotating the tires on the rim

signed I don't stop for red and blue lights

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2013 11:43PM by tomsbad6.

Med72
Art Medrano
Austin, Tx
(52 posts)

01/31/2012 09:25PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 GM 350

Posted by: Med72
Date: January 13, 2013 10:42PM

Thanks Tom. I actually found a guy in Tennessee who shorten and splines CV axles. The shop is Hudlow Drivelines. I have to contact him. I did emailed Richard Good about mating shorten Cv axles to a Nissan 5 bolt hub. He does not do this.

One more question for you. What type of Nissan did you get the 5 bolt hub from?

Thanks

Art

v869tr6
Ed Olson

(81 posts)

10/25/2007 09:54PM

Main British Car:
69 TR6 487 CI Pontiac

Posted by: v869tr6
Date: January 19, 2013 10:28PM

What geometry did you change?

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: January 20, 2013 11:52AM

Hey art that's great I feared thered be somebody that could cut those things bynow the r 200 was used in a lot of different cars. I have a lot of different diffs for my car 355 370 408 438 I have two that are six bolt one is at 355 one is a 390 the twin Turbo cars I think are all 390 six bolt. The non turbo cars are 5 bolt except for infinity q35 the twin Turbo, is bigger than an r 200 I believe it is an r230. A good place to shop for those difs is our guy in Portland Oregon he specializes in Acura infinity Nissan Datsun and he is very reasonable the one that I got from him look like brand-new 300 bucks shipped to Michigan I have to look and see if I can find his name and number one phone call and that guy knows everything there is to know about those diffs. I can tell you right off if you are running a big fifth-g's ear you are looking for either 390 408. PS I'm still looking for a 390 5 bolt the 408 seems to be the most common one almost any nonturbo 300z early 90s the Turbo car subframe is different that the nonturbo car I had both setting in my garage for about two months. Hello Ed in the pictures you can see I've moved the weals forward 1 inch I widened the car 1 1/2 inches I moved the wheel centers up 2 1/2 inches above the front pivot point all to make the car squat and dig better I also moved the spring pockets forward on swing arm out on the body of the car this slowdown the spring rate change. Motorcycle drag racers adjust their bikes by moving swing arm front up and down and the rear wheel in and out absolutely crucial for correct weight transfer thay change the shock angle to adjust how fast the spring rate changes does that sound like a TR six: or what. Every change that I made I had really good reasons for doing two years of trial and error.

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Posted by: mgb260
Date: January 20, 2013 12:31PM

Tom, I have a twin turbo R230 3.67 ratio viscous lsd 6 bolt I would sell for $200. Or trade for a Infinity R200 3.54 ratio 6 bolt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2013 12:32PM by mgb260.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: January 20, 2013 01:00PM

I hope to take all of 4 a ride this spring with a video camera down real dragstrip where I can really turn the car on there is a brand-new 1/8 mile track about 15 minutes from my house it's supposed to open in the spring with no rules the owner of the track says he can't wait to see my car run he has a seven second 347 Mustang and he claims I have more horsepower than him. NHRA used to let me run the car with a six-cylinder with a 300 nitrous shot I ran it like that for five years and a good 60 foot time was 150 and a bad 60 foot time was 165 this thing really launches its faster and launches better with V8 but they just will not let me run it. This spring if the new track does not open I don't care how far I have to go I will find a track running 1/8 mile without all these rules you know stupid things like 10 point cage parachute solid rear axle elbow restraints the list goes on my goal this spring is simple dragstrip good launchpad rubber on the track Stickam laid down 12 pounds of hair the tires race fuel all the timing in the motor the nitrous system running itself from 4000 RPMs to 7000 spraying 300 I still have not found out what the cars is capable of I still have not used it for what it was built for at least not with the V8 in it can handle the spray in second third and fourth gear on the street will see what it does on a dragstrip my first goals rather conservative 1/8 of a mile 100 miles an hour time I don't know it already goes 90 in 1/8 mile on the street with no spray IRS can really work just how well is yet to be seen I tell you this I will see it this spring

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: April 08, 2013 10:01PM

Hello it's me again going through my springtime check every nut and bolt routine I thought I'd take a couple more pictures for you they show how I went from Nissan aluminum hub assembly to steal trail arm you'll see the bolts to go into the aluminum from the outside they make it very easy to work on in five minutes you can pull the bearing hub axle assembly complete here are photos

Since the rear end no longer breaks I spend a lot of time cleaning rubber chunks of tar and pavement off the sides of the car I built it to beat the crap out of it every time I drive it especially when I'm running my old GeForce drag radials they have to be smoking hot before they bite decent the Nitto tire bites better cold then the BFGoodrich bites hot I have lots of rims for my car I always have different tires mounted up ready to go signed I smile so big driving the car I usually come home with bugs stuck in my teeth
4 8 13 077.JPG
4 8 13 076.JPG
4 8 13 074.JPG
ruber 001.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 10:16PM by tomsbad6.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.