Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

RyanS
Ryan S

(7 posts)

12/15/2013 07:10PM

Main British Car:

Tr-6 Throttle cable - for a V8 conversion
Posted by: RyanS
Date: December 15, 2013 09:19PM

I am stuck on how to route the throttle cable.

I have a edelbrock 1405 carb, and a bracket similar to this:

[www.summitracing.com]

I'm using a modified Mr. Gasket generic hotrod pedal and a Mr. Gasket 36" cable. I can rotue the cable to the rear of the carb but I need 2 180 bends in the cable, and it feels too tight. I can also go the the front of the carb with one 180 bend, but it also feels too tight.

I think some photos or a detailed descriotion could help me out.

TIA

Ryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 10:46PM by RyanS.

Addicted
Mike Hagadorn
Warren PA
(132 posts)

09/27/2013 03:46PM

Main British Car:
1976 TR7 Victory Edition Ford 302

Re: Tr-6 Throttle cable - for a V8 conversion
Posted by: Addicted
Date: December 18, 2013 12:05PM

Do you have pictures of your setup you could share? Generous180 bends should be fine.

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

08/04/2008 08:35PM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: epeppy
Date: December 18, 2013 07:15PM

Ryan, here's a couple of pictures of how mine is set up. I have a similar bracket to yours. Basically there is just two sweeping 180 degree bends to get the cable back to the firewall side of the bracket. Pedal movement seems to be fine. I've got 2 return springs on the bracket so it might be just a little stiff but there is no binding. Of course I have yet to drive it .... Anyway, I hope this might help some.

Ed

ThrottleCable.JPG

ThrottleCable2.JPG

ThrottleCable1.JPG

RyanS
Ryan S

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 18, 2013 09:06PM

Ed,
Any chance you could post a photo or two of the pedal and how it is situated in the car?

I'll get some photos of mine this weekend.

Thanks,
Ryan

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

08/04/2008 08:35PM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: epeppy
Date: December 18, 2013 09:58PM

Ryan,

I just modified the existing gas pedal to fit the space I had left after opening up the firewall for the bell housing. I cut the long shaft off of the pedal that passed through the firewall. Made two tabs to hold bushings and welded the tabs to a mounting plate. The location of the pedal is a little closer to the brake pedal but not close enough that I felt I needed to modify the brake and clutch pedals. I used the original arm that operated the linkage on the carbs. It's mounted between the tabs/bushings. Some nylon washers are on either side of the arm take up the slop.

gaspedal1.JPG

A little closer look. Probably could have dropped the firewall fitting a little bit lower.

gaspedal.JPG

Hope this helps.
Ed

RyanS
Ryan S

(7 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 19, 2013 07:12AM

Ed,
Yes that helps. We have a very similar set up. I'll post up some photos this weekend after the pedal and cable are operating.

I have a 36" Mr. Gasket cable, but the plastic end broke. Mr/. Gasket was not interested in replacing the part, but told me to buy another cable. I did, this time a Lokar - which is what I think is on yours.

I'm not sure if I'll be routing the cable to the rear of the carb or the front yet.

Ryan

Ronp
Ron Pulliam
Tacoma Wa
(15 posts)

04/19/2014 12:09AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1963 Buick 215

Posted by: Ronp
Date: April 26, 2014 03:30AM

Thank you for an excellent explanation with good photos. I've been looking at everything I'd have to do to tighten up the play in my throttle linkage. Even with the fabbing of the fulcrum, I'm better off going this route. Thanks again.

Ron Pulliam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.