Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Winston
Winston Wood
Houston, TX (Clear Lake)
(15 posts)

10/25/2011 12:11PM

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire Mazda 1.8

authors avatar
My Spitfire --> 1.8L Miata drivetrain swap
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 23, 2013 09:06AM

I don't think that I've linked this up before, but I am documenting my Miata drivetrain (and steering rack, and spindle) swap into my '76 Spitfire over at Grassroots Motorsports:

[grassrootsmotorsports.com]

I purchased the car with a 5.0/T5, but the V8 was just too big. You can read about my reasoning in that thread as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2013 09:07AM by Winston.

Winston
Winston Wood
Houston, TX (Clear Lake)
(15 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire Mazda 1.8

authors avatar
Re: My Spitfire --> 1.8L Miata drivetrain swap
Date: March 04, 2013 10:14AM

I got some chassis fabrication work done this weekend. When you get a few minutes, go check it out at the link above!

Winston
Winston Wood
Houston, TX (Clear Lake)
(15 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire Mazda 1.8

authors avatar
Date: November 15, 2014 10:09AM

Finally getting back on the horse... got a couple of quick updates on the books. See the GRM link above.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: November 15, 2014 03:09PM

I checked out your build thread and it looks pretty good!!
I have a few questions have you figured out how you are going to mount your sway bar?
Being that you are scratch building your front suspension did you consider the aspect of adjustability so that you can tweak the suspension for track and tire conditions?

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers
Byron

Winston
Winston Wood
Houston, TX (Clear Lake)
(15 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire Mazda 1.8

authors avatar
Date: November 15, 2014 05:57PM

Byron,

Thanks for the kind words!

I have given some thought to a sway bar. There will be tubes extending toward the front of the car, running approximately underneath the steering rack bellows on each side. I can place the sway bar mounts there. Alternatively, I can opt for a "high mount" sway bar anchored off of the upper part of the suspension structure (like you might see in racing cars). I have a few options.

Regarding suspension adjustments, I am not going for "full race" adjustability. At various points I wanted this to be either a rallycross car or something that I could take to the track (so you might have read about that when reading my build diary), but I've just settled on a nice street cruiser. The camber will be adjustable via the same method as the stock Spitfire (shims behind the lower a-arm brackets). I am not planning on having caster adjustment; the car will have good caster built-in. Should I want more adjustability later, it's as easy(?) as fabricating some new a-arms that have it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.