Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

01/30/2008 06:03PM

Main British Car:

Fuel injecting a triumph6
Posted by: scot abbott
Date: January 31, 2008 11:02PM

I retrofitted fuel injection to my son's GT6 spitfire. Total cost was less than $500 USD. I simply modified the Zenith stromberg carbs to hold port style fuel injectors (2 in each carb, 19#/hr injectors), and added a high pressure fuel system near the motor. No return line, no modifications of tank, no problems. The ecu is a Megasquirt I on a V3 board. I made the fuel/injector fittings by drilling out plumbing fittings. I got the injectors off ebay (used) for $10 plus shipping, and the other sensors from a junk yard for $15 total. I made my own relay board and wiring harness so the computer controls the fuel pumps. To make it neat and more up to date, I added a new air filter box so it could breath even better. The box also holds the air temp sensor.
The car presently runs better than ever before, passes emissions, and starts easily when it's cold out. It started on the second try, and then It took about 2 hour to tune it so i was very driveable, This was the first fuel injection project I ever tried. The people at DIYautotune were very helpful when I was getting started.

I have subsequently done extensive testing on my MGB, which I have injected with a variety of carb setups. (2 1.5 su's, 2 1.5 Zenith strombergs, 2 1 3/4 Zenith strombergs). The best so far is the 2 1 3/4 zenith strombergs. Very VERY peppy-like (or slightly better than a new late 60's/early 70's B). The details of that are posted at [www.mgexperience.net] and references cited in that thread. For more details, read the referenced posts first and then email me at drivers-seat@juno.com.

Scot

Legal Disclaimer: This is a recount of my personal experience. What you do with this information you do at your own risk. These systems use gasoline type fuels under pressure which, if failures occur, can lead to property or personal injury and death. There are a number of safety steps to use when doing this work. See Megasquirt.info for details. Stil, it's at your risk, not mine. (Sue somebody else.)
:

3 TBI's with air filter box upper view.jpg
5 Megasquirt on board.jpg
4 spit6 with efi aug 07 lr.jpg
annotated fuel systeml lo res.jpg

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

Main British Car:

Fuel injecting a triumph6 part2. TPS Details
Date: February 19, 2008 03:42PM

A number of people have asked for more details about how I have converted my SU and Zenith stromberg equipped car to fuel injection. There are a number of details which make this seemingly daunting task relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to do, once a reasonable approach has been found. This is one of the details. I have tried a number of other ways but this one works very well and reliably, cost little, and is pretty easy to fabricate from common materials with simple tools in less than an hour. I am attaching a photo , since it's worth a few thousand words.

It shows a simple TPS mounting system which I use for my fuel injected cars. It consists of 2 10-32 screws,
6 10-32 nuts, 2 small pieces of flat stock and one 3/8 bolt which has been drilled with a 5/16 drill to a depth of about 3/4 inch. The bolt has filed flats on each side so it slides into the tps sensor. It takes me about 10 minutes to make these. I use a simple drill press, a vice and a file.

I buy TPS's at the junk yard for about $2 each; the rest of the parts cost a total of about $2 at Home depot.
TPS Details.jpg

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: Fuel injecting a triumph6
Date: March 02, 2008 09:35AM

The conversion of the carburetors can be done in several different ways. The first way I used on the GT6 spitfire motor (very much like the TR6 setup) is shown in the photograph attached. The rings are short pieces of 1/2 inch copper tubing. The support material is copper flashing material commonly used in old style roofing. The carburetor body was modified to accept these. This can be seen in the attached photographs. The second ones show that the injector is aimed directly at the center of the throttle plate-it's the brass colored bar you see when you look through the mounting rings where the injectors go. The grey material is JB Weld, which was added to fiil the air passages next to the rings.

I have subsequently made, tested and used 2 other types of injector holders which work at least as well as the ones shown above and are even easier to make. They bolt onto the carburetor body in place of the 'dome' and there is no irreversible mods to the carburetor bodies. I plan to post pictures of these and patterns in the near future, but email me if you want them in the meantime. If there is a desire for me to post a procedure to make your own, I will gladly do so. Further, I will gladly post or send a complete intorduction to retrofitting EFI, if people are interested.
I have written an 8 MB Word document and will be happy to share it with anyone interested.

ring style carb adapter.JPG
Cut and uncut carbs.JPG
zs insert view2.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 07:17PM by scot abbott.

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 02, 2008 06:56PM

The oxygen sensor was mounted using a bung brazed into the exhaust manifold A picture of it is shown below.
manifold 4 david.jpg

scot abbott
scot abbott

(26 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 03, 2008 10:35PM

I recently developed a 'stock look' efi conversion for ZS175's. They work great.
twin 175 ZS  injected from below.jpg
This shows them with the air filter off. The air filter hides the efi parts.

tycorace
mark thompson

(45 posts)

05/31/2008 02:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tycorace
Date: June 05, 2008 12:14PM

Having raced GT 6 and Vettesse's in the 60's and 70's we found that the first thing I would do is replace the Trans driveline rear end axles and hubs and the radiator to start with. They are junk and if they are any good you canget good money for them which can go for replacments. These parts are too week for even the stock 4 cylinder spitfire . If you want to can call you and go over what we did and how we got 220 hp and total reliablity out of a stock bore vettesse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.