Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

TR6 + Camaro V6
Posted by: 88v8
Date: October 28, 2014 01:50PM

These 6-pots don't really float my boat, but looks well done
[www.ebay.com]

Pity the seller can't be bothered to describe it in writing, although there is a video I haven't watched.

Ivor

tbo
Tim Body
St Thomas Ontario
(221 posts)

01/27/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1954 Triumph TR2 stock 2 litre

Re: TR6 + Camaro V6
Posted by: tbo
Date: October 29, 2014 06:39PM

Looks like a decent car. No bids at 12800?I guess no one in british Columbia wants a nice TR6. Maybe Fred Keys has an answer to that Question

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 03, 2014 04:38AM

Sold for the starting bid, £8,000/$12,500.
Pitiful price, but at least it sold.

Ivor

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: November 03, 2014 11:36AM

The person that bought that car got a good deal. The guy who did the engine swap does very good work. He has a business of retrofitting MG's and Triumphs with Gm v6's for customers.
People are funny they get this romantic notion that a British sportscar is more valuable with the original drive train. Yet they will spend tons of money on the upkeep and modification of these old drive trains to make these cars more reliable and powerful to keep up with modern traffic. When you do the economics it makes sense to swap out the old drive train and put something in that is modern. But doing this "down grades" the resale value of the car.
In the hotrod world a 55 Chevrolet fixed up with a modern drive train is worth as much or even more that an original 55 Chev. A 1932 Ford coupe with a modern drive train is worth way more than an original 1932 Ford coupe. Maybe the trend of putting modern drive trains in LBC's is still in its infancy and eventually will end up going the way of the hotrod scene. Maybe the day will come that a TR6 with a small block Ford in it is more valuable than one with an original engine. Who knows?

Cheers
Byron

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: November 08, 2014 10:23PM

What you forget is that the "Modern Drivetrain" of today will be an obsolete and unoriginal drivetrain tomorrow.
The conversion will likely be pain to a second owner unless it is very well documented.
Modern engines go obsolete in a very few years, (As shown with my Buick 225 V6) originals are classic and will still still have support decades from now.
Model T and A Ford engine parts are still made!

A car is only original once, even if the original type drivetrain is reinstalled.
TR-6's, big Healeys, Jag XKE's all go for a lot more stock than modified.

I'm doing my mods on cars that were already hacked up or parted out so had little value.
Not concerned with resale.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 09, 2014 04:41AM

'The conversion will likely be pain to a second owner unless it is very well documented. '

I think this is very true and accounts for a lot of the difficulty in selling modified cars. Several cars I've enquired about over the years have no parts list or source list or yom of major assys.
Not that one ever intends to sell of course, or expects to recoup even a fraction of the expenditure.

Also a good point about the drive train going obsolete, which I must admit I never thought about. Best stick to pretty classic parts, SBF, SBC, carbureter.

Ivor

rampant racing
gary fraser
sarnia ont,canada
(83 posts)

03/28/2009 02:45AM

Main British Car:
69 spitfiremk111 ford 347 stroker

Posted by: rampant racing
Date: March 18, 2015 06:51AM

well when my 69 spit with 347 ford is done I know it will never sell unless there is a rich mad man out there that loves it cause it will have over $35,000 invested in custom frame and everything else for that matter lol. not building it to sell so doesn't really matter. what gets me in a huff is all the people that tell you that you will never get your money out of it . really so why do custom car shops have a job? do you think that they do all the building to sell them at a loss? I just watched counting cars the other day and danny says to the guy I will give you eight grand for the car after the guy spent fifteen grand on the car. the guy says no and danny replies well you know you never get what you put into it. so what is danny gonna do ? finish the car up and sell it at a loss? hell no .that just pisses me off when people put down a persons hard work and investment like that.it is the people that believe that you don't get your money out of a vehicle that keeps the myth alive by selling cheap. total bs! I have never lost money on a car I have built. just stick to your guns. unless the work you did was crap of course then you are screwed. this was not meant for anyone specific just a general rant lol cheers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.