Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Triumph Stag What If?
Posted by: BWA
Date: January 31, 2015 07:07PM

I have never been much of a fan of the Triumph Stag, the proportions just don't do it for me. Sorry to offend you Stag fans out there.
I grabbed a picture of one from Bing Images and took it into Microsoft paint and did a bit of surgery and I think that the few things I did make the car look quite nice.

Here is the original picture:
Stag.jpg

Here is the modified picture. I shortened the back of the car and shoved the rear wheel about 4" forward. I then made it into a coupe, (pardon my efforts to do the glass). I then lowered the rearend by a bit to get the stance right. The other thing that they should have done is make the car about 4 inches wider then it would have the right proportions.
Stag modified.jpg

So give me some feedback. If you don't like it my feelings won't be hurt!!

Cheers
Byron

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Triumph Stag What If?
Posted by: Moderator
Date: February 01, 2015 12:23AM

I've sometimes reflected on how the Stag's lines compare to the styling of the Jensen Healey. Generally, I think the Jensen Healey is prettier, though the Stag certainly has the better trimmed interior. Incidentally, the Jensen Healey is 700 pounds lighter! In concept it's more of a traditional British sports car, whereas Triumph was targeting Mercedes.

In my opinion, shifting the Stag windshield a couple inches rearward (in effect, making the front clip longer) would have improved the car's profile - but then you'd have to redesign the whole interior! Also, I think the rear quarter panels would have looked much better if they were little taller. ("More muscular haunches".) Pulling the rear wheels forward, as you've done above, does help with the profile view.

I understand that all Stags came standard with both convertible top AND hard top. In principle, a hardtop provides coupe appearance and functionality.

Apparently the British manufacturers weren't very well tuned-in to U.S. safety regulators. The Stag's T-bar and MGB's "Abingdon pillow" dashboard are two conspicuous examples. Neither of those clumsy designs were necessary, but they happened anyway. Of course we all have 20/20 hindsight, right?

Barry's Stag shows well how deleting brightwork and bumpers - and adding an air dam - helps the Stag. It's a very nice looking car!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 01, 2015 11:17AM

Honestly the difference doesn't look like that much to me. I always had more of an issue with the hoop behind the door windows. As for the length, well it is a 2+2 after all and that has to come from somewhere.

Jim

KBStag
keith bohanan

(13 posts)

08/31/2011 10:10AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: KBStag
Date: February 27, 2015 07:23AM

I see you colored the top from black to red ?
Other than that ? It's a sexy Stag.

Take a look at my Stag. I think it's a sexy car, and I bought it for less than $7,000, running. I had it painted, and upgraded the radiator to reduce heating. I repaired the AC, and hey, I have a cool car and I drive it every weekend.
Stag3.jpg

KBStag
keith bohanan

(13 posts)

08/31/2011 10:10AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: KBStag
Date: March 01, 2015 07:43AM

And..
This is kind of a cool one too. I drove this one yesterday.
NeatStag.jpg

mgbman
Marshall de Leon
Salem, Oregon
(54 posts)

01/15/2014 11:43PM

Main British Car:
Mark 2 Jaguar Chevrolet 350

Posted by: mgbman
Date: April 04, 2015 06:09PM

Keith,
I am with you man......cool looking cars just the way they was......!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.