Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

LS3 in a TR8 coupe
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: February 21, 2016 08:09AM

Plan is finally coming together. Spent most of last summer building a full integrated cage in a coupe shell. Tubes are as close and as integrated into the body as humanly possible and extend from the rear rails in the trunk all the way out to the front radiator support. Spent a good deal of time this winter trying to find the donor vehicle and was able to score one a couple of weeks ago. Its a 2010 Camaro 2SS RS with a 6.2L LS3 and the Tremec 6 speed. Car only has 11,000 miles and comes with stainless long tube headers and a 3" stainless exhaust. Air box and air flow meter are gone, but it does start and runs fine. Sounds nasty. Sounds like it has a definite lope at idle, but that may just be because the AFM is not sending a signal. There's only one problem. The Camaro, even though it was considered a total loss, isn't that bad. It would be a fairly easy fix. Only damage is along the right side. Looks like it scrape a guard rail. I'm guessing the main reason it was totaled is because of the trail of failed inspections, presumably because of the headers, exhaust and who knows what else was done to it. The original owner only covered 1700 miles in the cars first 6 years. Last summer someone else owned it for 2 months and racked up the other 9,400 miles and was the one that totaled it. My buddies are pushing me to fix the Camaro and sell it for a big profit instead of ripping its heart out and selling off all of the spares. I figure if I part it out, I should be into the whole drivetrain for no more than $5K. One of my buddies is coming by with a professional body man today to try and convince me to fix it. I really want to tear this thing apart and get started now that the snow has melted and the temps are climbing into the 40's everyday, but I'll at least here them out first. I'll post some pictures later. Got a new computer and there isn't any stored on this one yet.

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Re: LS3 in a TR8 coupe
Posted by: alana
Date: February 21, 2016 08:38AM

You might do better fixing the Camaro and buying a crate motor with the proceeds.
What I'm more interested in is how well the ls3 fits and how much reinforcement you added since I'm jonesing to do the same with a coupe, but without the rollcage.

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 21, 2016 03:40PM

Here is a picture of the car and cage. Sorry its in the background, but you get the idea. The car is a combination of a TR8 coupe SCCA race car I wrecked a few years ago and a solid TR7 body shell. Looked into a crate engine, but buying a whole car with low miles for about the same money makes way more sense. This way I get all the electrics needed to run the engine, the flywheel, clutch, and that sweet 6 speed rated at 600 ft/pounds. The headers, exhaust, limited slip independent rear end, killer stereo, leather recaro seats, and whatever else I can scavenge are just a bonus. I weighed the cost of this compared to building another stroker Rover. The Rover would come in somewhere around $10k just for the engine and only give me 350HP or so at the flywheel. This will come in at half that, have FI, mates to a 6 speed, and with a good exhaust and headers should make at least 400 at the wheels. The engine is rated at 426HP in the Camaro.
DSC03951.JPG

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Posted by: alana
Date: February 21, 2016 04:58PM

I meant sell the fixed up Camaro and use the profits to get into a crate motor.
I was thinking about the GM erod kit which gives you everything plug and play and is emissions compliant. It's more than 5k but if you can make enough would save a ton of disassembly and wiring rework.

Although when I bought stuff for the 250 I remember that the new clutch stuff wasn't cheap. Nor were the headers for that matter.
What rear end are you putting in?

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 21, 2016 06:36PM

I still have a 31 spline 8.8 from an Explorer left over from another project. I welded in some major reinforcements in the floor in order to mount the 8.8 lower control arms. Long term plan was to eventually make up an independent rear end like the V8 Miata guys are running, but the stick 8.8 is a quick easy install for the short term. You can see the 2" square tubing in this picture. You can also see the inner rockers have been removed and replaced with a door bar right where the sill plate use to be. Still needs more door bars, but those will go in later. Its no fun climbing over those things when your trying to build a car.
DSC03978.JPG
DSC03974.JPG

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.