Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

jdschwass
Jake Schwass

(4 posts)

07/20/2015 11:30AM

Main British Car:

Rear end for V8 TR6
Posted by: jdschwass
Date: March 28, 2016 08:45AM

Hey all, I have been using a ton of info from this website to work through my own project, and it has been very helpful. I had enough extra TR6 parts to start a second car. So far my frame has been beefed up, built my own 5.0L, with many upgrades, T-5 tranny, and I have a Nissan R200V sitting on the bench. I have improved the OEM diff mounts a lot, and the OEM diff drops right in.

My original plan was to purchase the Goodparts kit to install the diff, however due to the lame Canadian dollar, I am having a really hard time justifying the cost. Has anyone built their own kit? Or is there somewhere I could find some rough plans?
I am still planning on using the OEM axles, so I would need to build the adapter flanges as well as the mounting plates.
I am not worried about the input flange, since I will have to get a drive shaft builder to make that anyways.
Maybe using the OEM axles is a terrible idea and I should just buy the kit and new CV axles? I dont know. I dont have a ton of money to spend, so I want to make sure I put it in the right places, but I also dont want to find things out the hard way.
Unfortunately, the diff is holding up the whole operation right now, since I cant start the next phase until the driveline is finished.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.
Jake

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: Rear end for V8 TR6
Posted by: BWA
Date: March 28, 2016 02:01PM

What gear ratio is in that Nissan diff?
This guy used stock TR6 axle shafts with a TR6 diff fitted with a Quaif setup.

[www.britishv8.org]

I do not know how the axle shafts have held up for him, maybe you can pm him.
If you don't plan on doing a lot of burn outs I am sure the Nissan diff with the TR6 axle shafts would be fine.
I put a 2003 Gm 3400 V6 in my TR6 and right now I am running with the stock diff.
My hubs needed to be rebuilt so opted for Richard Good upgraded hubs.
Eventually I want to put in a Nissan diff and use RG's kit. I plan on using the stock TR6 axle shafts as I think they will handle 220 foot pounds of torque.
I too am constrained by the Canadian dollar so I am going to wait until the exchange is better.

How about some photos of your project, we like photos on this forum.

Cheers
Byron

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: March 28, 2016 02:05PM

I bought the Goodparts kit for my R200. There isn't a lot of clearance, but the kit is well made and the diff sits right. I'd be inclined to start with the standard shafts. You can always upgrade them later if they break.
The greatest weakness is the UNF threads that fasten the hubs to the trailing arms.

Ivor

jdschwass
Jake Schwass

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 28, 2016 04:24PM

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I went with the Nissan diff, so the ratio is 4.08:1. (as opposed to the Infiniti) My engine is a Ford 5.0L H.O roller engine, converted to 4 bbl carb. I have upgraded intake, long tub headers, alloy performance heads, cam, roller rockers, etc etc etc. I am hoping to get to the 350 HP mark with my current setup. My concern with the OEM axles was partly that they may bind under acceleration, and then prevent the car from squatting. I agree though, it cant hurt to try them. Part of my reasoning to upgrade was to save my inventory of rear hubs for my stock TR6. I am in the process of building a tool to overhaul OEM hubs, since it costs so much to have it done. I have a feeling though, with such a light car, that the tires will break loose before enough breaking torque can be applied to the driveline.
Since posting this morning, I have measured up all of the stock diff VS the Nissan diff, and modeled all of the components in Unigraphics 3D design. I am a mechanical engineer, so i couldnt do nothing all day... had to make some progress.
I then manufactured a front diff mount adapter, which is currently 75% complete. The rear mount adapter should be a lot faster, but I will need to purchase some 1/4" plate steel to do it. I will dimension the modeled adapter flanges, and will probably have to drop off the design with a driveline shop. (oh what I could accomplish if I had a lathe!)

As for pictures, I actually have a website that I created when I was in highschool. I started building my first TR6 when I was 13. That was 11 years ago {cringe}. There are lots of pics of my first build, and I am working on updating the new car as we speak. I will have the latest pics added this evening. My website is www.freewebs.com/mytr6restoration. Not a lot of words, but click on the photo gallery and all my pics are there. The new car is under the 'A New Beginning' folder.

Thanks.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: March 28, 2016 05:16PM

What part of Canada do you live in?
I live in Calgary.
In two months my new place of residence will be on Vancouver Island.

Cheers
Byron

jdschwass
Jake Schwass

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: March 28, 2016 05:28PM

I am in the central Ontario region along Lake Huron :)

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: April 06, 2016 02:00PM

I have the 4.08 in my TR6. The low ratio is offset by 215/70 tyres and the TR6 overdrive gearbox, so I have 24mph/1,000rpm which with the TR6 motor is a nice balance between acceleration and cruise.
With the motor you are planning I think you should go for a higher ratio, the 3.45. Partly depends on your overdrive and tyres of course.
One can easily plot the ratios here, the values can be overtyped. I would look for around 28/30mph/1,000rpm in overdrive top.
[www.mintylamb.co.uk]

With your 4.08 diff and any reasonable tyre package, I think it will be revving its nuts off. No fun on a long journey.

For the weight of the car, I think my 215 tyres really are too wide, it floats in the wet. Ideally, 205 is as far as I would go, unfortunately my wide boots are now baked into the overall gearing unless I change the diff (again).

Just one point - when fitting your adaptor to the diff, check the bolt torque in the Nissan shop manual. From memory, the rear bolts take a surprisingly high torque, something like 90lb (??) but I could be out. I do know that if they aren't correctly torqued and threadlocked, they come undone, which is a pain and potentially chews up the alloy diff cover.

All power to you if you can design/make your own adaptor.

Ivor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.