Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Tr4achevy
Brian Teichgräber
Vancouver
(3 posts)

10/26/2016 11:01PM

Main British Car:
67 TR4A live axle looking 3.4ltr

Rear end for a tr4a live axles swap
Posted by: Tr4achevy
Date: October 29, 2016 01:15PM

Hello.
New to the forum and new to a tr4a live axle.
I'm currently looking for a rear end as my tr rear has a crack in the housing and thought I might as well go with a stronger rear.
Plan is to put a 3.4 chev
Looking for a late 60's or early 70s rear from a mustang - thoughts?
I've also read that a s-10 pickup rear would work .?
There are some on eBay for 100 to 200 . There is nothing that old in my area auto recycling yards.
Does the rear end in the 60-70 have to be from a mustang? And if so anything special I should look for. Ie part number or ?
Thanks

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: Rear end for a tr4a live axles swap
Posted by: BWA
Date: October 29, 2016 04:15PM

Welcome to the forum Brian.
Do you live in Vancouver BC or Vancouver Washington?
I live on Vancouver Island and have a TR6 with a 2003 Gm 3400 V6.
Check out the following outfit and email them they are in Kelowna and do these v6 conversions into TR6's etc.
[britishcarconversions.com]
They may be helpful.
I am assuming that you are using the 5 speed transmission that came with this engine.
If you are the first gear ratio is very low as these drive trains were in much heavier cars.
It would be best to find a rearend that has a high gear ratio 3.3:1 or higher to compensate for this.
Please post lots of photos as we like photos on this forum.

Cheers
Byron

Tr4achevy
Brian Teichgräber
Vancouver
(3 posts)

10/26/2016 11:01PM

Main British Car:
67 TR4A live axle looking 3.4ltr

Posted by: Tr4achevy
Date: October 29, 2016 10:15PM

Thanks for the reply
I am familiar with Bill in Kelowna
Yes in van bc
No tran with the engine.
I'm starting the process of having the car dipped / media blasted and epoxy primed.
I'm hoping to send it up to bill to have the engine installed in the summer but for now I'd like to get the rest done

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: October 31, 2016 01:28AM

If you are getting Bill to install the engine then he must be supplying you with a bell housing and transmission.
If this is so then you need to find out what he is planning to use.
It is important to get the gear ratio of the fifth gear as this will determine what gear ratio you will be looking for in the rearend.
My car has a 2003 3400 that is mated to a Ford T5 transmission, the final drive on fifth gear is .63.
Right now my car has the original TR6 diff that has a ratio of 3.7:1.
This ratio does not lend itself that well for driving 90 to 100 km/hr in fifth gear as the 3400 engine has a stroke shorter than its bore which means it likes to rev.
I am going to put in a Nissan diff that has a ratio of 4.08:1 which will give the engine more rpm in fifth for slower highway speeds.
Your 3.4 engine is very similar so depending on the transmission you use you should try and finds a rearend that has a ratio that is compatible.
Once you know what transmission you are using send an email to mgb260 and ask him what rearends would work also ask him to list the gear ratios.
The guy has an amazing knowledge of automotive parts.

Cheers
Byron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.