Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis

(15 posts)

09/06/2016 02:15AM

Main British Car:

Has anyone considered Ford mod motors for Swaps.
Posted by: Russ Bellinis
Date: February 25, 2017 03:09PM

I've been wondering if anyone has ever put one of the Ford over head cam motors into a Triumph, os is the engine just too wide at the top because of the cams. I've thought that the 4.0 liter V6 used in 2005-2010 would make a nice engine for a Tr6. Stock they are rated at 250 hp, but Shelby put a Vortec centrifugal blower on one in the "Terlingua" Mustang and rated it at 370 hp. Shelby no longer offers that set up, but Vortec still lists the blower for the Ford V6.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: Has anyone considered Ford mod motors for Swaps.
Posted by: BWA
Date: February 25, 2017 04:26PM

Russ after looking at the Ford V6 engines I came to the conclusion that the older engines are just too tall to fit under the hood of the Tr6.
I went with a 2003 Gm 3400 V6 mated to a Ford T5 transmission and it fits quite nicely under the hood.
Width wise it is nice and narrow also so you have a reasonable amount of space to work with.
The newer overhead cam Ford engines (both V6 and V8) are probably too wide to fit in the TR6.
You would not be able to fit the headers between the frame rails so they would have to be high and exit thru the inner fender wells.
I think it would be quite a challenge.
Height wise these newer Ford engines may also be too tall to fit under the hood.
One possibility in using these engines would entail the concept of turning the entire front end (fenders and hood) into a single unit that tilts forward.
You would have to remove the inner fender wells and add in some type of structural support as the inner fender wells also add rigidity to the front end of the tub.
Something to consider.

Cheers
Byron

Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis

(15 posts)

09/06/2016 02:15AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Russ Bellinis
Date: February 25, 2017 10:26PM

I kind of wondered if they would be too wide to fit. I think that is why the guys that build the "monster" Miatas in Cali are limited to either using a pre-1994 car for smog reasons or use GM Ls series engines. I like GM engines, but the specs on those OHC Fords are so tempting. At 70-71 next month my days of building cars are probably over, but I keep dreaming.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: February 26, 2017 12:40AM

Russ you are not too old!!
Just do it and enjoy the process.
The things that keep us young is doing things that keep us physically active and mentally active.
We all know of people that work hard all their life and then retire and die shortly there after.
Sitting around and doing nothing is the sure way to get old.
My two cents worth.

What type of Triumph do you have that you want to "desecrate" with a modern motor?

Cheers
Byron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.