Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

ALV
Al Vandergoot
Sidney, British Columbia Canada
(67 posts)

01/13/2013 09:49PM

Main British Car:
1971 Triumph TR6 Ford 2.3 turbo

Vibration when turning right.
Posted by: ALV
Date: June 17, 2019 08:03PM

Hello all. Been enjoying the nice weather and have been getting out and putting some miles on my ford turbo powered TR6. Things have been going along pretty well but for ever so long i have a rumble and vibration in the car when i turn right or even make a lane change to the right slow,or fast. left turn is not a problem as is going straight.
The wheels are still stock as are all the front suspension components. Nothing is rubbing. The rack assembly has grease in it. I jacked up the front end and there is nothing obvious. I decided i should maybe see if the front end needed some grease. 5 pumps of the grease gun had clean grease coming past the right lower control arm trunnion seal, left side is fine. The upper A arm ball joint on either side has no grease nipples which makes it seem likely these were replaced with after market parts by the previous owner. Is there anything else i should look for? There doesnt seem to be any play in the wheels. Any thoughts? Thanks.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Re: Vibration when turning right.
Posted by: 88v8
Date: June 18, 2019 04:02AM

Odd noises. Can be hard.
My Rambler has a clonk from the left rear on right bends when the road is rough. Can I find anything loose???

So, when it's loaded on the left. Hmmm. You sure it's from the front?

You might look at the left rear wheel bearing. Have to unhook the drive shaft perhaps so you can spin it and listen for rumble.

Mind you, if you really mean 'slow', find a car park, drive in a slow circle and have a friend walk or run alongside, look and listen.

Otherwise, are you a 6-Pack member? Perhaps ask on there.
[www.6-pack.org]
Warning! Some of them aren't keen on modified cars.

Ivor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 04:03AM by 88v8.

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 18, 2019 08:53AM

Thanks Ivor. Yeah i think it is from the front as the steering wheel gets buzzy when turning right or making a lane change to the right As the car sits in the garage i notice i has a bit more negative wheel camber on the left front wheel. I'll jack up the front end and check for play again in the wheel bearing. Yeah Im a member of 6 pack i'll post there as well. They havent given me any grief about the engine swap in the past usually are pretty good. Cheers.

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 18, 2019 12:46PM

Hmm so im getting ready to jack the car up and pull on the tie rod. The left rod nut is loose and I can turn the tie rod and retaining nut by hand and the tie rod flexes back and forth.
the tie rod is pretty corroded and moves easily over the ball joint. The bellows still look intact I think I should replace both the inner and outter tie rods just to be sure. Wonder if the local parts store outlet carries these?

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: June 18, 2019 01:03PM

Al congratulations on getting the car on the road!!!
You are going to have to get those tie-rod ends from Moss motors.
Contact Drake Motors in Kelowna as they may have the tie rod ends in stock and they can mail them to you.
The last time I talked to you you were still working on getting the rearend set up.
How did you get it to work?
You should post some photos of your car.
You should bring the car up to the Brits on the Beach car show in ladysmith.

Cheers
Byron

tr6turbo
Dale Knapke
Sidney, Ohio
(169 posts)

08/24/2008 09:44PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph TR6 Ford 2300, 4 Cyl Turbo

Posted by: tr6turbo
Date: June 18, 2019 09:13PM

I second BWA Congratulations on getting the car on the road.

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 21, 2019 07:36PM

Thanks guys. Dale an espcially big thank you for the help with the turbo intake plenum set up and alternator bracket. It was seeing the video and pictures of your 2.3 powered TR6 that convinced me to give the project a try.

BWA. I actually have the cv hub and rear end ready and set up in 2 spare trailing arms i have complete with disc brakes. Just need to cut some q45 cv axles to size , get the sleaves machined and plug weld them.

In the meantime i changed the left front wheel bearing as after tightening the tie rod the steering vibration was reduced significantly but the growl was still there when turning right. There was some play in the left front wheel so hopefully that solves the issue for now.

I will try and post pictures but everytime i try the pictures are to big.. They post fine on the Triumph Experience web forum. This one photo worked it was taken by a local car club memebr that pitmout the club news letter. I will try and resize the other photos kn my ipad. Cheers
image.png

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.