Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

04/01/2016 08:15AM

Main British Car:

Rick Vandenberg's TR6 rebuild
Posted by: Rick
Date: September 17, 2018 10:21AM

the car is going through a rebuild, so I decided to start a new thread to share the journey. the chassis is working great, and the body is almost ready for the top coat. I assembled the car in the base primer to run it in the Colorado English Motoring Conclave. Next I will be installing a master kit in the rear axle and changing the ratio. The engine is de-tuned a bit, now that it is getting older. The new Hoosier Pro Street radials are on and they are awesome. this picture is from the Ride the Rockies event, and shows what the finish coat will look like. It will be a flat satin finish.
conclave 1.jpg

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Re: Rick Vandenberg's TR6 rebuild
Date: April 10, 2020 09:00AM

Hello everyone!
I hope you are all staying safe out there. Update on my car, It is still in primer, and running good. It doesn't have the crazy power that it used to have. The build is almost 14 years old. Once again I am deciding if I should sell it and move on to a new project, or keep it. I never have time to take it out or do anything with it. The car just sits in the garage.
I am going to dig into the rear axle this weekend. I have a worn trailing arm bushing on the left side. I would like to replace them both with polyurethane. The car is still plenty quick and fun to drive. I will try to post some pics of the rear axle work.

Dash (2).jpg
rear of car (2).jpg
side (2).jpg
Engine 4-10-2020 (2).jpg

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: April 10, 2020 10:30AM

Rick, At first look, I thought the seats were Corbeau GTS II, but a more careful look
suggests they are not. What are they, if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks,
Dennis

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 10, 2020 12:04PM

I used Steel Horse Super Seats in the original build. After I sold the car, the buyer replaced them with Miata seats, claiming that the convertible top frame would not fit with the Super Seats. I am still using the Miata seats.

IaTR6
Dennis Costello
Central Iowa
(191 posts)

12/29/2007 02:53PM

Main British Car:
'73 TR 6 '97 Explorer 5.0

Posted by: IaTR6
Date: April 11, 2020 11:56AM

Thanks Rick! I keep thinking there might be something other than the Miata seats, but for an adjustable
seatback, they seem to be the answer.
Dennis

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: April 12, 2020 04:35AM

.....still in primer....the build is almost 14 years old. Once again I am deciding if I should sell it and move on to a new project, or keep it. I never have time to take it out or do anything with it. The car just sits in the garage.
I am going to dig into the rear axle this weekend. I have a worn trailing arm bushing on the left side.

Hello Rick

Still in primer... It seems that paint spraying doesn't really float your boat! Although if you thought to sell the car it would be worth spraying it, as that's a job few people can handle themselves so it would make a big difference to saleablity.

Anyway, yes, for some people it's the build that gives satisfaction, the journey rather than the destination.
Perhaps that's you.
After all, if you have time for a new project, you have time to drive the car. If you really wanted; and had somewhere to go and someone to go with which can all be another issue. Cars n'coffee, or parking in a field, they can grow old.

I seem to be content with our 63 Rambler sedan. We go to a few car meets, but mainly it's practical, we went shopping in it this last week, the wife is happy to ride around in it, and for me the V8 will never grow old.

Trailing arm bushes worn already... I recall the track is quite narrow, there's a lot of leverage on the bushing. With a one-off design, bound to be snagging. If this is the only snag, you did well.

The Miata seats are comfortable. I had them in my TR6, with the separate headrests. The big plus is that they are narrow so they can slide right back. Being comfortable can make or break the pleasure of driving the car.,

Ivor

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2020 04:38AM by 88v8.

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 12, 2020 01:19PM

Ivor,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are doing well.
I removed the rear axle last night. see attached photo. I don't really consider it a one off design. It is a trailing arm design that is welded solid. Very stout. I am ordering the poly replacement bushings today.
I removed the rubber bushings. they look fine, but I had felt a slight movement in the left side. A person probably would not notice unless they spent as much time with the car as I have. I will be giving the axle a refresh while I have it on the bench too.
You may be right about the journey and the destination. My interests changed a long time ago. I don't drive fast, and I don't afford much time to my car. I built an off-road truck that my wife and I take to the mountains. I would like to do a major upgrade to the engine and transmission, and I am willing to sell this car to pay for the parts.
As for the primer, I will not be painting the car unless I decide to keep it. I will sell it at a low enough price that a buyer can have it painted any color they want.

Axle.jpg

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 14, 2020 04:49AM

Well it does sound as if you have moved on from 2001 when you started the build. If I think back to that time, I suppose I have too. And of course the roads are crowded, and we have speed cameras everywhere.
I hope you find a better buyer for the car this time, although at least the previous guy did fit the side windows.
Just as well it's not right-hand drive otherwise I could still be tempted. The way you had it dressed in the original build, those wheels, the exhaust tips, the hardtop, I thought that was really exceptional.

Axle welded solid.... hadn't realised that... just looked back at the build pics in the gallery. So the arms are welded to the axle casing. And it's a solid axle. So what accommodates the roll and the individual wheel lift? Just the flex in the rubber bushings? Hmmm, good for a drag car, and on the road it's a good design because it has roll stiffness without needing an ARB, but I can't see it working so well with poly.

I've always thought that poly is a manufacturing copout because it's difficult making rubber parts to a good and consistent standard.

Ivor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2020 04:54AM by 88v8.

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 14, 2020 11:45AM

Ivor,

Thank you for the compliment.
Imagine a swing arm suspension from a Morgan 3 Wheeler or a Polaris Slingshot.(another 3 wheeled reverse trike) I once received criticism for my comment that this car handles "like a sports car". Let's do some math.. The overall rear track is 59". The rear tires are 15.5" wide. Take the overall tire width of 31" and subtract it from the 59" track width and you have 28" between the rear tires. With this narrow of a track there wasn't much sense in worrying about articulation or an IRS. The key to a comfortable ride with this system is in a proper spring rate and correct dampening with a total of 4" of rear travel.
The solid swing arm, or trailing arm suspension combined with the 14" tall sub-frame design is how I was able to transfer enough power to the ground to get a 2.9 second 0-60 with over 500 hp using a G-Tech Pro computer. There is no articulation. The rubber bushings don't give much or at all. There is no front sway-bar. It handles more like a go cart than a sports car. You can be travelling at 35 mph, whip the wheel, and make a 90 degree street corner easily. With no articulation in the rear, the body stays flat. The independent front suspension accounts for any undulations in the road. There is no loss of grip with 30" of rear tire, and when you hit the gas exiting the corner, its all grip, again because of the 30" of rear tire.
I don't pretend to think that this is superior to any other suspension design. It is just what I made. it's strong, and it's lasted a long time. And it's a lot of fun to drive.
So, as I rebuild the rear axle, I have learned that the source to my engine is gone. I am looking at a new build from Chevrolet Performance. At around 429 HP and 450 foot pounds of torque, I might just drop this new engine in and paint the car once I finish the rear axle work. I have not decided to sell, and the car is not posted anywhere. I just think sometimes that someone else would enjoy it more than me.

rear of car3.jpg
old car pic.jpg
engine from Chevy.jpg

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 02, 2020 11:05AM

Good Morning all!

I hope everyone is staying healthy. I have some great progress to report on the TR6. After removal and inspection of the rear axle, I am having a local ASE Certified Master Tech rebuild it. We are installing a new Eaton Limited Slip differential, new 4:10 gears, a master kit and new outer bearings and seals. I threw away the junk 750 carb, and bought a new Holley Demon. I would like to continue using this engine if possible. Lot's of exciting new parts are on their way. I am converting the rear suspension to modern coil overs. they will arrive from Jegs next week. My new poly bushings and bearings arrived a few days ago.
Engine work (2).jpg
New poly (2).jpg
New carb (2).jpg

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 02, 2020 08:51PM

It's like Christmas in June!

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 03, 2020 04:08AM

You are really getting into this !!

So you decided to stay with the 4.1.

Do the coilovers have the same spring rate?

Ivor

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 03, 2020 12:32PM

I am getting a fully adjustable coil over set so the ride height and spring rate will be adjustable. Even bigger news,... I am looking at a new custom 4 link rear suspension to replace my solid welded trailing arm. And, I have pulled the best engine builder I know out of retirement so that we can see how much power we can get out of my current lump.

Ivor,

Yes I am staying with the 4:10 gears. 1st gear is going to remain very low, but I once hit a very high speed in closed course conditions (when the build was new), and I don't want to extend top gear.

I also ordered a Shelby Cobra hood scoop from Shell Valley in Nebraska. I would like to be able to evacuate some more of the under hood heat and increase the cold air to the intake. I am hoping that it blends well with the lines of the car.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 04, 2020 03:59AM

Mmmm, some serious reinvention.

I thought you detuned the lump.. ? This sounds like Dr Jekyll reverting to Mr Hyde.

Yes, it's already geared at 33/1000 so its legs probably don't need to be any longer.

With an articulated rear suspension, I guess it will need a front arb?

At the rate you're going, you'll have created two builds before a lot of people would have finished thinking about one.

Ivor

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 22, 2020 10:45AM

Here is the mock up of the new coil over conversion. This is only the mockup, so yes, the fuel pump is held out of the way with a zip tie..;) The car is sitting on it's wheels today. everything fit and works perfectly. Next step is to tear it all down again, finish the weld out and paint. I am pretty excited because the rear axle is rebuilt with a new Eaton limited slip differential. I have guys coming over today to quote the paint on the body. Wish me luck!

coil over installed.jpg

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 24, 2020 10:28AM

" There is no loss of grip with 30" of rear tire, and when you hit the gas exiting the corner, its all grip, again because of the 30" of rear tire. "

Unless you are running much lower pressure, you do not really have any more rubber on the road, Rick.

[simanaitissays.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2020 10:33AM by MGBV8.

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 24, 2020 03:25PM

Not exactly sure what you mean with your comment, or you don't understand mine.. the contact patch of each of my rear tires is 15.5". I run 22 pounds of pressure in the rears. The comment that you have copied in, is only explaining that with 30" of contact patch on the rear tires, using Hoosier Pro Street tires, and using an Eaton limited slip, you can put the throttle to the floor half way around a turn and experience no wheel spin. It's quite a sensation when running lot's of horse power. I am sure a lot of other people experience similar things, but I say this because every V8 conversion car I have ever ridden in (except mine) burns through rear tires because they keep a stock or near stock tire size. Or they aren't gaining enough horsepower in the swap to warrant the swap. I used to have a 77 MGB. I was able to get plenty of performance out of the 4 banger and used it in SCCA events. I loved that car. How much power do you get out of the 215?

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 24, 2020 03:27PM

The car will be back together in the next 3 weeks! I am waiting on a paint quote from an awesome Custom Rod Shop here in town. It is possible to have it all together and painted for the Conclave.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: June 26, 2020 09:17AM

I'm sure it is a blast, Rick!

What I am saying is larger tires alone do not equal a larger contact patch. It is an urban myth. Larger diameter, lower tire pressure, these things will grow the contact patch somewhat. Larger tires also take more HP to turn over.

Rick
Rick Vandenberg

(28 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 29, 2020 04:56PM

The link you provided and the math, explains how the wider tire reacts to power applied in cornering. It's the same logic used in high performance race cars and street cars from the factory that come with wider rear tires and softer compounds.
Speaking of horse power.. I have found a few issues and corrected them. The top of the engine is on it's way back together! I will have the engine finished this week, and finish the weld out of the coil over conversion this weekend, then off to paint. Still shooting for the Colorado Conclave. It's going to be close!
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.