Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tr6302
doug ingraham

(2 posts)

02/21/2008 12:38PM

Main British Car:

T5 clutch actuation
Posted by: tr6302
Date: February 22, 2008 01:04PM

I was thrilled to find your site and am now a proud member. It is great to become connected to all those V8 British sports car nuts!
For the past 12 years I have owned a '76 Tr6 with a modified 302 Ford, C4 auto and 2.88 Jag diff. The car has been punished regularly but has been very reliable. The trans is now leaking oil and I always wanted a 5 speed. My research tells me that a late '80 - '93 T5 will bolt to this block. I intend to use the flywheel that comes with the T5 (machined to 28 oz. balance factor) and use a 10 1/2" diaphragm clutch.
What are my options as far as actuating the clutch?
Also, does anyone know where I can go to identify a T5 by its ID tag?
Thanks,
Doug

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: T5 clutch actuation
Posted by: Moderator
Date: February 22, 2008 01:49PM

Welcome Doug!!!

We'll be very interested to hear how your transmission project comes together. Identifying T5 transmissions should be pretty straightforward with this guide (and its included ID tag chart) - [www.britishv8.org]

As far as actuation goes, there are lots of options... and many of them have been discussed in our articles. Use the search function at the bottom of any website page, or just read through "how it was done" articles and take a census of what others have done before. I think you'll find that the most expensive and most difficult-to-service option is to use a "hydraulic throw-out bearing" where the slave cylinder is mounted concentric to the input shaft. A much cheaper option that's gaining popularity is to use one of the new "pull type" slave cylinders that can be mounted beside the tranny (whereas a more traditional push-type slave is normally mounted beside the engine.)

Hey - post some pictures here of your car! We'd love to see it.

Even better, plan on sending in a "How It Was Done" write-up plus a whole mess of photos so we can feature your car in the next online magazine issue and in our photo gallery. Instructions for how to submit that stuff is here: [www.britishv8.org]

BMC
Brian Mc Cullough
Forest Lake, Minnesota, USA
(383 posts)

10/30/2007 02:27AM

Main British Car:
1980 MGB '95 3.4L 'L32' SFI V6, GM V6T5 & 3.42 Limi

authors avatar
Re: T5 clutch actuation
Posted by: BMC
Date: March 08, 2008 06:15PM

Doug,

Are you speaking of the Ford Mustang T5?

If so, with the right input collar a HTOB like the one we stock works well.

I am sure someone here can explain the Ford clutch system, but sorry to say that person would not be me.

-BMC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.