Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

cooks 7
Jon Cook
St. Louis, Mo
(28 posts)

03/03/2008 02:05PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph Gt6 GM Ls1

weld in windshield frame Gt6?
Posted by: cooks 7
Date: July 21, 2010 02:24PM

This is sort of a body question but figured this was the place to get better insight. I am paint prepping my '69 Gt6 after completing my Ls1 swap. The Gt6 has a bolt in windshield frame, which I guess is a carry-over from it's Spitfire lineage. I can't see why this is bolted in otherwise. I was thinking about welding the frame in, maybe with a series of a couple inches of Tig welds on the top and bottom and then filling in the rest with seam sealer and blending the outside. I think this would help stiffen the body up a bit and save me from having to replace more seals in the future. Anybody have any insights as to why or why not do this. I think it would clean up the look of the car a bit too, the seal at the bottom of the frame where it meets the cowl has always bugged me a bit.
Jon
paintprep.jpg

cooks 7
Jon Cook
St. Louis, Mo
(28 posts)

03/03/2008 02:05PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph Gt6 GM Ls1

Re: weld in windshield frame Gt6?
Posted by: cooks 7
Date: August 03, 2010 11:45AM

Upon further examination I will not be welding the frame in. The bottom of the frame, where it meets the cowl, is indented so the rubber seal is sort of sunk flush with the frame, I was talking to my body guy and he said it'd be difficult to make it look right, and that using body filler in that location for that purpose wouldn't likely hold up well. I think after all is said and done I might put some tacks on the inside of the top of the frame and a couple other spots to add a little rigidity, and i'll be welding in places that'll be covered up so removing some paint won't be a big deal. But it looks like I'll be needing the seals to reinstall the window frame after all, bleh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.