Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

mike.jameson
Mike Jameson
CA, USA
(1 posts)

01/06/2011 12:58AM

Main British Car:
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

authors avatar
Installing Supra W58 transmission in Triumph Spitfire
Posted by: mike.jameson
Date: January 06, 2011 01:29AM

Hello, I’m a newcomer to this forum and I’m hoping someone has experience installing a Toyota Supra W58 transmission into a Spitfire (1976). I see where Larry Breitkreitz’s used this transmission in his 1973 Spitfire with some modifications to the frame (for slave cylinder and mounts) and transmission tunnel. It wasn’t clear if the modification to the tunnel was necessary for clearance or if it was done strictly for noise reduction. Does anyone know what other challenges I can expect getting this transmission to fit, lining up the gear box/shift lever and connecting to the drive shaft? I plan on using the bell housing that comes with the transmission. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Mike

speed6
Chad Jester

(7 posts)

09/22/2010 06:41PM

Main British Car:

Re: Installing Supra W58 transmission in Triumph Spitfire
Posted by: speed6
Date: February 21, 2011 02:54PM

I think a better choice would be the T-50 Toyota box. Classic Conversions out of New Zealand offers a kit to install that transmission easily. The W58 is a pretty beefy box to try and wedge between the frame rails.

Chad in Tulsa

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Re: Installing Supra W58 transmission in Triumph Spitfire
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: February 21, 2011 05:57PM

The original tranny is pretty darn small and the space it fits in is really small also. I stuck a w56 in the tunnel and decided it was too tight of a fit to keep it in any kind of stock condition. Ended up going with an automatic behind a 4.3 chevy V6 that was pushed back into the firewall. No chance of going back to stock Spitfire!

Anything will fit if you don't mind a little cutting and pasting!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.