Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

cowboyra
Cowboy Ray

(26 posts)

12/16/2010 09:28AM

Main British Car:

Fiero seats
Posted by: cowboyra
Date: January 09, 2011 09:59AM

Has any one here used Fiero seats in a Tr6? How do they compare with the Miata seats?

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Re: Fiero seats
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: January 11, 2011 07:30AM

They fit in a friends MGB, so the TR6 should fit with mods.

Here is what he did.

per MH:

I switched the seats so that the Fiero driver's seat became the MGB passenger seat and the Fiero passenger seat became the MGB driver's seat. This placed the seat back recliner mechanism against the transmission tunnel which allows the seat back spring to do its job of raising the seat back to an upright position.
I discarded the plastic shrouding since there is no room for it in this application.
Next I removed the runners from the bottom of the seats.
Next I removed the two rear "feet" from the seat runners and replaced them with a pair of front "feet" from a spare Fiero seat (I stockpiled a few extra seats which I acquired fairly cheaply from several wrecking yards)

Before fitting these "feet" to the runners, I modified them (bent them) to the appropriate height (to match the profile of the original rear "feet")
I refitted these modified "feet" in the correct location on the runners. This location can be easily found by using a wooden rail (found under the original MGB seat runners) as a template. The "feet" can be fastened to the runners using self-tapping automotive screws (hex-head), or welding. If you use screws, be careful not to interfere with the movement of the seat in the track.

The holes in the "feet" were now aligned with the captive nuts on the floor pan in a front to rear direction. However, when the runners were refastened to the seat base I found that the holes required enlargening in a side-to-side direction in order for the bolts to align with the captive nuts.
When bolting the seat to the floor, I used large flat washers (with a small inside diameter) on the securing bolts.
I also placed spacers under the front "feet" to raise the seat slightly to provide support under my thighs. These were made from aluminum bar drilled to allow the seat bolt through. Depending on your preference, the spacer can be made to different heights, or you can bend the new rear feet until almost flat to achieve the same result without raising the seat level.

If you are using the head restraint speakers, the wiring code is as follows:
Dark Blue is R+
Light Blue is R-
Brown is L+
Yellow is L-

Remember to get the connector from the donor car when you get your seats
fiero-seats.jpg

tbush
Tim Bush
Minnesota, USA
(32 posts)

11/16/2009 07:29PM

Main British Car:
'74 Spitfire, '59 Frogeye (sold) GM Vin T 3.1Lgoing in it.

authors avatar
Posted by: tbush
Date: January 11, 2011 01:09PM

Ray, I have a couple of Fiero's. I find the seats to be quite comfortable and well made. I only went the Miata seat route on my Spitfire as the fiero seats were just too large to fit. They should fit well in a TR6.
You will want to change out the stock headrest speakers. They are just too old to sound any good.
If you have the funds look into the Mr. Mikes upholstery kits. They look terrific on these seats.

cowboyra
Cowboy Ray

(26 posts)

12/16/2010 09:28AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: cowboyra
Date: January 13, 2011 10:04PM

Thank for the replies guys. It looks like I'm going with the Miata seats even though I think the Fireo seat look much nicer.
Their supposed to be an inch narrower and with that huge tranny I need a skinny seat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.