Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

rtope
M. Ray Tope

(9 posts)

08/08/2010 01:35AM

Main British Car:

4 wheel disc brakes
Posted by: rtope
Date: March 28, 2011 04:45PM

Does anyone have any idea where one could find out where to get information regarding the factory optional 4 wheel disc brake setup for a 1981 TR-8? I was going through some old publications and they talked it be optional for the TR-8 and I would like to get the information with the potential of putting them on my car. I would like to have 4 puck calipers that will fit the original 5.5 wheels or a 6inch wide set the I resently found if possible rather than having to having to the 1up sizing on the wheels.

My contact information is:
M. Ray Tope
10517 NW 29th Ave
Vancouver, WA 98685
360-601-1409
raytope@msn.com
TR-8-1.jpg

tr8todd
Todd Kishbach

(390 posts)

12/04/2009 07:42AM

Main British Car:

Re: 4 wheel disc brakes
Posted by: tr8todd
Date: March 28, 2011 08:48PM

They were never a factory option you could buy, but there was a rear disc set up that was sanctioned for racing. Contact Wedgeworks on this forum. He has done this on his TR8 using fairly inexpensive Ford components and custom caliper brackets. The most popular way to get rear discs is to swap in a Ford 8.8 rear end. I have one sourced out of an Explorer in my car, but most use a car based unit from a Mustang or Thunderbird. Some guys have installed Dana rear ends instead of the Fords. It takes a fair amount of work to accomplish, but the benefits are rear discs and posi traction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.