Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

71MK4
Wendall Brown III

(3 posts)

07/19/2011 11:08PM

Main British Car:
1971 Triumph Spitfire MKIV Stock 1.5L (For Now)

authors avatar
Engine Upgrade For 71' Spit. Need help/suggestions.
Posted by: 71MK4
Date: July 19, 2011 11:32PM

Hey,
I'm new to the forums and I'm restoring a 71 MK4 spit. I don't have any experience installing a engine other than a stock 1500, so I'm kind of lost. I'm looking for a suitable upgrade for my spit to replace the stock 4 cylinder. Something like a v6 or a small block v8. If someone could point me in the direction of a simple beginner upgrade engine that doesn't involve a major bonnet mod, I would really appreciate it. I'm not looking for anything too crazy; just a decent upgrade.

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Re: Engine Upgrade For 71' Spit. Need help/suggestions.
Posted by: BWA
Date: July 20, 2011 04:05PM

Welcome to the world of modifying and improving LBC's! MY first suggestion is to go to project journals and look at Tim Bush's Spitfire with a Gm 3.1 v6. You will see that he is going with a hood scoop that does not detract from the looks of the car. These engines are plentiful and cheap. They are light compact and will be ample power for your car. They can be hooked up to Gm or Ford T5 transmission quite easily. Contact Tim and ask him some questions. For the conversion from FWD to RWD contact Marc Traylor at British car Conversions in Dayton Ohio. Just google this outfit and check out all the goodies that Marc has for converting these engines. Phone him up and ask him some questions he is a real decent guy and is very helpful.
Have fun.

Byron

Wendall Brown III
Wendall Brown III

(4 posts)

07/19/2011 10:25PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Wendall Brown III
Date: July 20, 2011 10:37PM

Thanks a lot Byron. I'll take a look into that and ask around for advice. I'm fixing this up for my first car with barely enough money, and I'm already looking for an engine upgrade. This has become quite the obsession!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2011 10:46PM by Wendall Brown III.

theonlyiceman53
Bill Russell
Florda
(85 posts)

11/18/2008 06:01AM

Main British Car:
77MGB 350 Chevy with LT1 heads

authors avatar
Posted by: theonlyiceman53
Date: July 28, 2011 12:45PM

Hi Wendall,
Per Byron's suggestion I checked out Tim Bush's build and I would have to agree that a 3.1 would be an ideal swap. Small, compact and light. It takes little or no frame/body modification and should move out pretty good. Ideal situation for a first swap. Kind of wish I would have run up on a deal for a 3.1 before the 4.3 that's in my Spit!

[www.cardomain.com]

Have fun!
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.