Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

kytr6
m m
Louisville
(3 posts)

04/15/2008 11:33AM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 stock for now

Another new member
Posted by: kytr6
Date: April 15, 2008 04:08PM

I am seriously considering a V-8 swap for my 1975 TR6. I'm the second owner, and I've had the car since 1982. I'm researching possibilities at the moment, and this appears to be a great place to start.

My previous TRs include: 1973 Spitfire, 1980 TR7 convertible, and a 1980 TR8. I also have a 2001 MR2 Spyder, and a 2007 Subaru STi.

I'm in the Louisville, KY area.

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Re: Another new member
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: April 16, 2008 09:35AM

Welcome, Mike!

This is a GREAT site for resources and info, How to's, venders, plus you'll get lots of feed back.

Are you in a local TR Club? Do you have pics? We love pics!

Have you read the section on what V8 options are out there? Since you have had a TR8, I would go with the Ford 302, or 5.0, for a little more HP. Maybe your up for more HP with the GM 350 or LS1, but you're also in for a differential change with more torque.

These are a bunch of fantastic guys and gals, read, listen, evaluate, and then do it your way based on what you want and how you drive!

Anyone out there in the Louisville area or near by to help?

[www.britishv8.org]

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: April 16, 2008 10:33AM

Don't know about any TR types near you, but there are some crazy MG guys around. Jim Blackwood's building the project Roadmaster [www.britishv8.org] up in Florence near Cincy. Welcome to this madness of British V8s (or V6, or what ever) .

kytr6
m m
Louisville
(3 posts)

04/15/2008 11:33AM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 stock for now

Posted by: kytr6
Date: April 16, 2008 11:37AM

Thanks for the welcome. My car was a daily driver for a long time. Over time it became a shelf in the garage (something I swore I'd never let happen). Marriage, kids, motorcycles, and newer sports cars got in the way. An opportunity came my way recently to have a vocational technical school (at a men's prison) work on my car. Initially this was going to be a cosmetic only restoration and I would go over the mechanicals. The car has been sitting long enough to require a complete motor rebuild.

The instructor at the prison asked me if I wanted to do an engine swap (V-6 or V-8). Unbeknownst (is that a word?) to him, I was already leaning that way. I began to poke around the internet a little, and BAM!!! I found this site. This is an amazing resource. When this happens, I can visit the car often and check on progress, but all the work is done by inmate students (some of them have lots of experience already, but they time off there sentence for getting education). The work is done under the supervision of staff instructors. I pay for parts, but the labor is free. I wouldn't have considered this, but I have seen examples of their work and it is outstanding. These guys take pride in their work and they love unusual projects. As much as I like to work on my cars, it isn't realistic for me to have the time to do this- so I'll let them have a go.

As much as I love the sound of the straight six, there is nothing like the sound of an American V-8 when it's eminating from a British car. I'm leaning towards Ford because the dimensions seem to work better, and there is a historical connection with Ford and British cars.

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: April 19, 2008 08:08AM

I watched a show on Speed once where inmates were doing restoration work on classics cars as part of their rehab. An excellent opportunity for both parties.
I even thought about doing time just to get into the program, but then I would miss out on all the driving fun. (and this forum family)

Check out Dan Master's eval on engines, size, and weight.

[www.britishv8.org]

I have a Ford 5.0, but don't discount the SBC to quickly or the Buick 215 or 300 for fit.
If I can find it, I'll post the link, but there is a TR6 out there with a Jag V12.
There are a lot of options depending on what your driving habits are, or want to be.

Check out Ken's SBC LT1 and Calvin's LS1( no How to Yet from Calvin as he is building)
Ken Heibert's "How It Was Done" article
Calvin's TR6 as featured here in the forum

(broken link repaired by Moderator)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2008 01:05PM by Moderator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.