Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

sellersrodshop
Steve Sellers
Nashville TN
(21 posts)

10/24/2010 02:00AM

Main British Car:
1966 Triumph TR-4A

authors avatar
early tr4 chassis info needed & brake question
Posted by: sellersrodshop
Date: February 04, 2012 03:59PM

hey guys! been a while since i've posted anything, but think i'm finally going to get time to start my project soon... started doing some research & have determined my tr4a body is actually setting on a early tr4 chassis. is there anything that is inherently weak on the early front suspension that would need to be upgraded? i don't see much difference other than the upper ball joint looking like a large tie rod end & also that the early lower trunnion doesn't have the castor upgrade.

also have a brake question. i was leaning towards doing the cressida rotor/4runner caliper upgrade in the front & having the hubs redrilled for the 5 lug small ford pattern. in the rear, i am narrowing an explorer 8.8. i noticed during research, that the stock explorer rotors are approx 1/2" larger diameter than the cressida fronts. will i run into any problems with this or will the adjustable prop valve handle it? i think i'll be fine with caliper piston volumes front to rear & may look into swapping the rear brakes for the v6 mustang setup if it will bolt on to the explorer rear axle. here are the rotor sizes & caliper piston sizes for each:

cressida/4runner front:
rotor diameter 10.6" caliper pistons 1.68" & 1.33"
explorer rear:
rotor diameter 11.22" caliper piston 1.81"
mustang rear:
rotor diameter 10.51 caliper piston 1.49"

mgb260
Jim Nichols
Sequim,WA
(2463 posts)

02/29/2008 08:29PM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB roadster 260 Ford V8

Re: early tr4 chassis info needed & brake question
Posted by: mgb260
Date: February 04, 2012 04:24PM

Steve, The Explorer rotor is larger diameter because the large hat(drum) emergency brake. You probably don't want 4 lug in front and 5 lug in rear. Easy to redrill Ford 5 lug to 4 lug(same circle).Use one existing lug and opposite is exactlly centered between two existing holes. The other two are close to existing holes but work fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 04:28PM by mgb260.

alana
alan atkinson
(232 posts)

06/19/2008 08:06PM

Main British Car:
68 TR250 LS2

authors avatar
Posted by: alana
Date: February 04, 2012 06:23PM

You should probably tie the mounts together like in the late TRs.

sellersrodshop
Steve Sellers
Nashville TN
(21 posts)

Main British Car:
1966 Triumph TR-4A

authors avatar
Date: February 05, 2012 02:48PM

just to clarify, i'm changing the lug pattern up front to 5 lug small ford to match the rear end (already have the wheels in 5 lug). am also planning a few extra braces & such after i get the new motor set in place to check clearances etc.

sellersrodshop
Steve Sellers
Nashville TN
(21 posts)

Main British Car:
1966 Triumph TR-4A

authors avatar
Date: May 08, 2013 02:27AM

I know i'm reviving my old post. progress doesn't move too fast around here lately & I've been trying to finish up my mustang project before getting too deep into the triumph. I've located some of the later type upper & lower control arms etc. but still cant get a definite "yes" or "no" as to whether they will be a bolt in swap on my early chassis or not & if the extra castor set into the later trunnions is worth it or not on these cars... hoping to hear something before I go to the trouble of picking them up. thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.