Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

WhalenMike
Mike Whalen

(8 posts)

06/05/2012 04:16PM

Main British Car:
1976 Triumph Spitfire

best swap opinion?
Posted by: WhalenMike
Date: June 05, 2012 04:25PM

i just picked up a 72' spit and I would like to get more power out of it. I am not a purist as I do want to do the swap. I am looking to get anywhere around 220hp - 300hp (hoping). any suggestions? also what is a reliable rear end to the car to hold the power? I could setlle for less power too.

Any small engines that can be modified to higher power?

TR4AIRS
Kristof Van Pachterbeke
Belgium
(45 posts)

12/27/2010 05:58AM

Main British Car:
1966 Triumph TR4A IRS Honda S2000 F20C

authors avatar
Re: best swap opinion?
Posted by: TR4AIRS
Date: June 05, 2012 04:53PM

If I had a lightweight car like yours, I would fit a small aluminum 16 valve engine from a Mazda Miata or a Rover K-series. You don't need loads of torque to get a 1600 or 1800 pound car off the line. I do think that the lower end of your power window will give you a very attractive sports car.

Please don't forget that suspension and brakes are equally important if you want a coherent package. Good luck with the project!

Regards,
Kristof.

WhalenMike
Mike Whalen

(8 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 Triumph Spitfire

Date: June 05, 2012 05:05PM

Are these motors reliable ? What would you think is a reasonable amount of power ?
I know Im going to need new suspension and breaks. Suggestions on that ?

Thanks.,
Mike

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 05, 2012 05:22PM

Welcome to British V8, Mike. The Miata (MX5) engines Kristof mentioned should be readily available anywhere. They've gone through some development over the many years they've been around. You can get turbos, etc. The Rover engine might be a good option in UK or Europe, but those engines weren't sold on the lefthand side of the pond.Spitfire suspension and brakes can work fine if you keep weight down... The question boils down to how big a project you're looking for. Give us a few more clues, and I'm sure more people will chime in with ideas. Your physical location for starters. How much of the work do you want to do yourself? (Wiring? Welding?) Do you have a budget in mind? How many months or years can the car be off the road for?

WhalenMike
Mike Whalen

(8 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 Triumph Spitfire

Date: June 05, 2012 05:41PM

I would like to do it over the winter months. I would like to do as much work myself as possible. Also the easiest swap too, that's why I don't really mind the power. I mean I would like to be able to move pretty good. I'm located in Canada specifically Kitchener Ontario. So if info keep the weight down with the smaller motors such a the Miata. What's your opinion ? As I mentioned before I just bought it so I'm still learning more and more each day.

Thanks,
Mike

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: June 05, 2012 08:23PM

I agree with Kristoff and Curtis that the Mazda Miata engine is a good choice. You can always extract more power from these units by going with a turbocharger. Just google Mazda Miata and turbo and you will see lots of forums and info.
Another good engine is the 2.3 l turbocharged Mustang SVO engine but they are getting kind of hard to find. Another option is the Gm 3100, 3400 V6 that will fit reasonably well under the hood with a small scoop. Check out Tim Bush's car that is in the final stages of construction; he has put a 3100 in his car. These engines are FWD but can be converted to RWD. I am close to being finished my TR6 and I have gone with the GM 3400 with a Tremec T5 transmission.

Cheers
Byron

WhalenMike
Mike Whalen

(8 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 Triumph Spitfire

Date: June 06, 2012 11:59AM

I really like the idea of the ford motor, but I haven't been able to find any. Out of the three what would be the easiest ?

Has anyone done or know anything about the Toyota 4age swap?

Thanks again,
Mike

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: June 06, 2012 03:04PM

Personally I would think that the Mazda engine is the easy way to go as it is already in the RWD configuration and if you are lucky you can find an entire drivetrain from one that has been written off. I just did a search with the following search engine [www.car-part.com] and there are lots of these engines kicking around here in Canada.
The only downside of the Mazda engine is that if your heart is set on the 200hp mark then you are going to have to do a little work and spend some extra money on setting it up with a turbo or a supercharger.
The Gm 3400/3500 puts you in the 200+ hp range and are plentiful as grasshoppers on the prairies. The only downside of these engines is that you have to convert them from FWD. Google British Car Conversions in Dayton Ohio and you will see how these engines are converted. I have gone this route and I think it will work for the Spitfire as well.
Another option to consider is a BMW 4 cylinder engine and transmission. I have seen an MGA Coupe at a local car show with an older BMW engine with dual Weber carbs; it looked like it belonged in that car!
Take your time and do the research and ask lots of questions.

Cheers
Byron

WhalenMike
Mike Whalen

(8 posts)

Main British Car:
1976 Triumph Spitfire

Date: June 06, 2012 04:08PM

I'm goint to keep searching around and looking to see what I can get my hands on. I really think the 4AGE motor and trans would be a good swap? seems to fit really well. In addition it comes with more HP than the miata motor.

Thanks to all!
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.