Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

milemarker60
Dave DeWalt
Overland Park, KS
(3 posts)

06/05/2008 12:49PM

Main British Car:
73 Triumph TR6 BMW M3

authors avatar
Greetings - TR6 / BMW M3 Swap
Posted by: milemarker60
Date: June 05, 2008 01:24PM

Greetings,

Been checking out the site for quite some time but never happened onto the forms until today. Thought I’d chime in and include a few pics of my TR6 in which I have implanted a BMW M3 driveline into. Project has been slow but steady and it’s completely drivable sans the body panels. Currently it’s back down at the paint shop having the little nicks and scratches I put on it during assembly touched up and I should be bolting the panels on sometime in the next two weeks.

Anyway, here are a few pics and a link to my photobucket site. Not completely up to date but as soon as I get the panels on I’ll load a new round of photos out there.

[s115.photobucket.com]

Dave

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Greetings - TR6 / BMW M3 Swap
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 05, 2008 01:53PM

Welcome to our forum, Dave!

You car is way cool, and very unusual too. I hope you'll put together a "How It Was Done" article for us - this car belongs in our photo gallery where far more people will find it, enjoy it, and benefit from your advice and insights. Here's some more info about that: [www.britishv8.org]

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: June 05, 2008 10:12PM

Hi Dave, and welcome to the message board.

Don Watson sent me some of your photo's (Your TR6) back last year around Christmas time. At that time I was looking around to find idea's on how I was going to strengthen my frame some. I saw the cross brace you put in between the frame rails around the transmission area. I did like your idea and did some what the same with my TR6.

So it's nice to see your'e in the forum now. I still have the photo's about 8 or so.

Your TR6 is coming along well.

Calvin

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: June 09, 2008 07:24AM

Dave,

Welcome to the forum and some really great rides. The people are not bad also.

I know there are a lot of viewers out there that would love to know more about your TR6/BMW conversion.

You do great work and it is quite different. Plus the BMW's have aged to just about at the right price point for those of us that are considering a swap.

Post those pics!

tycorace
mark thompson

(45 posts)

05/31/2008 02:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tycorace
Date: June 18, 2008 10:18AM

Dave

What is the stock hp rating on the BMW engine? A very nice conversion.
Mark thompson

milemarker60
Dave DeWalt
Overland Park, KS
(3 posts)

06/05/2008 12:49PM

Main British Car:
73 Triumph TR6 BMW M3

authors avatar
Posted by: milemarker60
Date: June 18, 2008 04:53PM

Mark,

I chose the E36 M3 Engine (S50) as it is the last of the OBD-I software models (1995-1998). If you go any newer you run into all kinds of security issues the the BMW compluters and it really becomes a pain. Way more difficult than dealing with a typical OBD-II American V8. In stock form it puts out 240hp but with my additions I'm expecting 300hp at the flywheel. Several hop-ups are available over the counter such as cams, throttle bodies, intakes, chips, etc.. I ended up overhauling mine and installing many of these along with a serious amount of head work, 8lb flywheel and a custom programmed chip around my mods and the lack of catalytic converters. I built the engine for reliable daily driving, not the drag strip. If I need more I can easily add a turbocharger in the current layout.

Once I get it back from the body shop I do plan on running it on the dyno to see just what kind of numbers it's putting down to the ground. I have lost the weight numbers from my brain but the engine/tranny was significantly lighter than the original 6-cyl as well as the various v-8s. I'm in the aircraft business and have wheel scales up here so I'm anxious to get it all together and see what kind of weight I've go on each corner.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.