Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

thespitfirekid
Jason C
Vegas
(6 posts)

06/17/2008 06:52AM

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire 1996 Roller 302 Ford

authors avatar
76'spitfire 5.0/C-4 swap total newbie please im begging im gonna need info
Posted by: thespitfirekid
Date: June 17, 2008 07:12AM

Im very new here, Im really stoked that i found this place I was feeling very alone in this. I have a 76' Spit, the old engine and trans is out and I just got done cleaning up and degreasing the frame a lil bit ago, I pulled a roller 5.0 with Gt-40p heads on it out of a 96' Moutainer, tomorrow im goin to the junkyard to get the engine mounts and C-4 trans, the car is stripped as far as heater box, windshield wipers,coil,cruise control,heater valve thingie,the only thing left on my firewall is the master cyl. Id like the engine back as far as I can get it b/c I dont want to modify the steering rack, the frame looks like it narrows up quite a bit where the trans goes, is this going to have to be opened up via cutting the rails or what? Will this engine fit if I just move the steering shaft out of the way and modify its angle? Am i going to have to cut up the front suspension and move stuff around just to put this in? I have lots more questions but im tired and i need to go to bed, this is my summer project since im off of school, I havent thought about the rearend of the car too much as id just like to get the engine and trans mocked up and installed then ill work my way to the back, anyways thanks alot everybody for any help at all i was starting to feel kinda overwhelmed by listening to my friends comments on my swap...:D

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Re: 76'spitfire 5.0/C-4 swap total newbie please im begging im gonna need info
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: June 17, 2008 09:51AM

Jason, welcome to the British V8 forum. The Spitfire as well as most other Triumphs used a backbone frame so keeping the strength in the center section is vital. Make the minimum modifications possible in that area and add material to replace any strength lost. There are numberous conversions in the photo section that show more detail on this frame area and how other builders worked those problems out. You might want to consider other mounts as well as the stock items. Most stock mounts are pretty bulky and you might find mounts from one of the street rod shops that are smaller and would allow more steering and header room. The stock rear axle and differential won't hold up long to any real power from a 5.0 but leave it alone for now and drive reasonably and it should live. You'll have plenty of other things to do this summer without working on the rear axle area.

thespitfirekid
Jason C
Vegas
(6 posts)

06/17/2008 06:52AM

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire 1996 Roller 302 Ford

authors avatar
Posted by: thespitfirekid
Date: June 17, 2008 05:23PM

Ok cool Bill im going to look at the photos part, yea my friend who is helping me do this swap took 1 look at the back of the car and was like WHOA! this is gonna take some fabbin, so I guess ill just have to cruise once I get it back together, for future reference tho I was thinking about a s-10 rearend or a 7.5 out of a Pinto?? what do you think would be a decent rearend ?, it wont be a drag car jus something I take to school and to the store and stuff like that and the occasional stop light showdown.

rampant racing
gary fraser
sarnia ont,canada
(83 posts)

03/28/2009 02:45AM

Main British Car:
69 spitfiremk111 ford 347 stroker

Posted by: rampant racing
Date: April 01, 2009 12:12AM

hey how you makin out with your swap?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.