Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

dtindell
david tindell

(19 posts)

05/23/2008 09:45PM

Main British Car:

need advice on gt6 coversion
Posted by: dtindell
Date: June 21, 2008 06:42PM

I need advice on a project I am working. I have a running gt6 with a working inline6. I want to put in a v8 350 with automatic transmission. I woud like to know if there is an adaptor to match my original drive shaft with automatic. Any further advice anyone can give to mak ethis conversion as easy as possible please let me know.
Thanks
David

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: need advice on gt6 coversion
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 22, 2008 12:58AM

Hi Dave - welcome to the British V8 message board!

I think you're likely to find out that having a custom driveshaft fabricated by a local Dana/Spicer driveshaft shop is relatively cheap (~$250) and easy compared to other aspects of the engine swap. (You want to pay the shop to make you a new driveshaft because they can spin balance it on their machine.) I had a driveshaft made for my MGB V8 while I waited... a long lunch "hour"!

On the other hand, I'm skeptical that the conversion can be completed without custom-made exhaust "headers", which will cost an arm and a leg if you're not willing or able to make them yourself. As mentioned in other threads on this board, the stock GT6 rear suspension isn't particularly stout... so I'd also plan on replacing the whole rear end. ($$$, unless you have the tools and skills to do it yourself.)

Have you had a careful look at this car: Matt Kline's GT6?

See how Matt's home-made headers neatly tuck between the engine and frame? That wasn't easily accomplished! I believe the small block Chevy engine is actually a little wider than the Ford at the cylinder heads, so your exhaust may be even trickier. (While you're looking at Matt's car, notice that he replaced his rear end with something more robust.)

If I were hot-rodding a GT6, one of my biggest priorities would be replacing the stock inline-6 engine with something significantly lighter to improve the car's handling. That was always one of the biggest complaints with the GT6! A lighter engine would make the car more fun to drive on twisty roads. The Chevy 350 is quite heavy... and an automatic tranny is heavy too! If you prefer Chevy engines, why not consider a Chevy 60-degree V6?

dtindell
david tindell

(19 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 22, 2008 11:05AM

Thanks for the advice. The main thing I would like to get out of the conversion is the change to an automatic. Even a 4 cylinder automatic would be fine. Looking to make the a daily driver. Is ther a way to match an automatic tramission to the staight 6?

dwtr6v8
Don Watson
West Virginia
(305 posts)

12/07/2007 07:45AM

Main British Car:
1974 TR6 Ford 5.0 HO

authors avatar
Posted by: dwtr6v8
Date: June 24, 2008 11:19PM

Curtis has very good points.

For info on the GM/ Buick V6, turbo 350 auto or 700R4 check out this link
[www.johnscars.com]

or The Chevy S10 Blazer, 2DW, 4.3V6, auto

Triumph did offer an automatic in some models, SO........If your up for a little searching, try locating the following:

1972 thru 1980 Triumph Dolomite, 4 cyl, 3 sp auto , BW-T35

1980 Triumph TR7, 4 cyl, 3 sp auto, BW-T35

1977 Triumph Stag, V8, 3 sp auto, BW-T65

These are rare and if you can locate one, getting it rebuilt will be another journey.

There are a few trany shops that are selling them for about $1,400, but I don't know the quality.

As you can see the cost of maintaining / replacing / rebuilding some of 35 and 40 year old treasures leads many to search for other newer options.

I'm sure others will chime in with additional ideas.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4516 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: July 04, 2008 11:30AM

As much as I love the 350 Chevy, I wouldn't do that to a GT6. Find a smaller, lighter engine.

dtindell
david tindell

(19 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 04, 2008 05:52PM

Does anyone hav advice on the engine that would fit into the gt6 with the least amount of trouble? The ther options I am looking at are a ford 6 cylinder, any 4 cylinder with automatic transmission, a mazda rx7 with automatic, or even an old ford straight 6 that my dad has aound the house with dual carbs. Since my goal is a a dailey driver with the easiest mode for the least cost, any advice?

tycorace
mark thompson

(45 posts)

05/31/2008 02:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tycorace
Date: October 24, 2008 09:30AM

If you want advice hear it is. one if you are asking advice about which engine or trans to use in a gt6 you don't have enough experence to do a tecneclly dificult project , and will end up with a cut up half started piece of junk that someone will start yelling at you to get rid of. There are several things I would suggest 1 buy a completted conversion and enjoy all the time you are not building it. if you have to build it yourself ,get 4 times what you think will cost you and have a credit card with twice that amount you can use. If you still must build something keep this in mind eng and trans work is that hard putting the drivetrain in correctly is no walk in the park exterior body work is hard and very time consuming. interiors are trying to very deficiult and elec can bring you close to ending it all.
I hope i have made anyone with limitted knowledge and experience for diving into a project that is over their head and wasting a lot opf time and money. Just ask most of the people who have built quaility cars if they would do it again or would they buy a car that is done or one built by a good shop?
Mark Thompson

V6 Midget
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: V6 Midget
Date: October 24, 2008 04:14PM

David, more advice and I'm afraid it isn't good. You've picked one of the worst cars for a conversion. The GT6 frame like most Triumph frames is an X shape and the center section carries a lot of the structural integrity of the chassis. It's about the worst frame around to try and put an automatic transmission in because of the size of most automatics. Add to that the fact that the rear axle and suspension is marginal for the torque of a V8 or even a larger 6 and you're asking for problems with that chassis. It can be done, but for a relilable daily driver it probably wouldn't be very good. If a manual transmission is the main problem then I'd suggest finding another car for your commute and leaving the GT6 alone.

Because of the placement of the steering rack, fitting any other engine into a Spitfire or GT6 can be a problem, not many will fit well, your Ford inline 6 will be much too long and tall for the car as would a lot of 4 cylinders and you would still have the clearance problem in the transmission area to deal with. Just the wrong chassis for an easy swap, as if there is ever an "easy swap" in any car.

Either tough it out and drive the GT6 as it is with the manual, or find some cheap econobox like a Kia or Suzuki for your daily driver.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: October 25, 2008 11:12AM

Surely there is an answer here somewhere. It may involve upgrading the rear end as well as the engine/tranny but I've got to think there's a way. Maybe it means setting your sights a little lower or choosing a less common engine.

For instance, the Spitfire used the A series engine and IIRC the B series engine was used as an upgrade by some enthusiasts, I'm sure Bill will correct me if I'm wrong. It seems I've heard of people using the TR-6 engine in the GT-6 as well, as it has significantly more displacement and otherwise is the same engine. Just old recollections there, but maybe something to start with.

Then there are the Japanese pushrod OHV 4 cylinders. Nissan/Datsun made these in displacements from 1100cc up to about 2 or 2.2L. A similar engine is the one that was used in the Suzuki Samurai and Sidekick.

The thing that makes Automatics wide is generally the valve body and pan, and sometimes an accumulator or governor housing. If you can position this part of the tranny below the frame rails you might find room. Best bet might be to visit your local tranny shop and ask to look at different trannys. They will know which ones are more narrow, then it's a matter of finding a tranny/engine combo that is suitable.

There is a very natural bias here towards manual transmissions. Historically automatics have been the antithesis of "real" sports cars and for very good reasons too. So if you truly want an automatic you will find you are going it alone to a very large degree. New modern automatics may change that some but they are too complex to do it very soon due to their need for computer controls and such.

But go around to the tranny shops in your area. They may give you some ideas. And as a last resort, the GT-6 frames are made of steel btw, and as such they can be altered. Just be sure you know what you are doing first, as a poorly altered frame can cause catastrophic failure, causing one of those "Oh SH*T!!" moments or worse.

Jim

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 25, 2008 12:51PM

I believe I was recently told that Ted Lathrop custom-built a GT6 frame for a customer who later abandoned his V8 conversion project... Why not give Ted a call and see if he has details and/or contact info for that former customer? Maybe you can pick up a whole second GT6 (parts car?) and a custom frame for cheap! Ted's contact info is in the "Vendor Directory" which you'll find in the "Contact" pull-down menu at the top of the page...

I've also been told that making a replacement Spitfire or GT6 frame isn't easy because the original frames have lots of curves bent into them. There's machinery available for making neat bends in box tubing, but that machinery isn't cheap! Therefore, most replacement Spitfire/GT6 frames require lots of mitered/welded joints.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: October 25, 2008 03:02PM

Who had that GT6 with the custom made steel frame at the 2007 British V8 meet in Willoughby? Maybe you should talk to him.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Date: October 25, 2008 03:48PM

His name was Matt Kline... Regrettably, he hasn't yet sent in a "How It Was Done" write-up and the e-mail address I had for him no longer works. I believe he lives right there in Willoughby or in one of the nearby towns.

Here's a link to photos of his car: [www.britishv8.org]

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4516 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: October 27, 2008 10:25AM

Quote:
The GT6 frame like most Triumph frames is an X shape and the center section carries a lot of the structural integrity of the chassis.

Add a partial roll cage, maybe?

GT6 frame:

[i78.photobucket.com]

Interesting musings on stiffening a GT6 frame for a Spitfire:

[www.spitsix.net]

tycorace
mark thompson

(45 posts)

05/31/2008 02:00AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tycorace
Date: October 28, 2008 10:54AM

The tasmin frame is an example of a very well designed frame that is light and ridged .This would work for many conversions it is too bad no one has the time to build them as they would make conversions much less trouble.
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.