Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

ALV
Al Vandergoot
Sidney, British Columbia Canada
(67 posts)

01/13/2013 09:49PM

Main British Car:
1971 Triumph TR6 Ford 2.3 turbo

2 questions from a Noobie
Posted by: ALV
Date: February 03, 2013 06:40PM

I have 72 triumph and am considering a engine swap. I have 2 questions.

1. Does anyone ever not do frame off resto before doing the engine swap?Does the body always need to come off to make the mods to the frame in the engine bay or is removal of the old engine and trans enough.

2.I notice that almost all the mods except for the turbo charged inline 4 don't use a an engine with fuel injection. If you can purchase and entire engine (say out of mustang a 302 HO) with the harness and ecu would this still be a viable option or is the noramaly aspirated engine just that much easier? Is it because of the gauges etc. Thanks

Phil Crawford
Philip crawford
Bogalusa, La
(80 posts)

02/01/2013 10:38PM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 07 4.8L

Re: 2 questions from a Noobie
Posted by: Phil Crawford
Date: February 03, 2013 10:41PM

Al
If it has fuel injection I personally would never take it off. The way the intake comes over the cylinder bank may cause some problems but I don't know that. Fuel injection does present it's on problems. The wiring harness has to be replaced or modified. The fuel pump has to be a high pressure one with a regulator and a recirc. line. I would still use the fuel injection. If the intake on the 302 is a problem you could look at after market intakes or look at the ls engines from GM.
Good luck
Phil Crawford

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 04, 2013 12:01PM

Thanks Phil. The engine is a 302 out of an 88 mustang comes complete with harness and ECU. So it would definitely be an option. Thanks again.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: February 04, 2013 05:05PM

Hello Al you can do an engine swap either way there are advantages both ways I have a business restoring TR sixes I have jigs to build the body tubs and rotisserie to paint them but my car has never been torn apart the advantage to that it seems like I'm never quite done the day I have everything perfect it will come off the frame and be restored like no one's ever seen before it's also much easier to calculate where everything needs to go with the car assembled most guys start off with the car that is not a decent driver so they tear it down my car is all original sheet-metal never been restored just painted and still looks pretty good some people get very extreme in customizing frame suspension etc. my car's proof that it is not necessary my car has rust holes in the torque boxes that you can stick your finger in and I still beat on the car harder than anybody the frame boxes Rust but their not the weak link the bad spot is where the frame narrows in the rear there is a simple fix for that I will try to load some photos you will want to remove the whole interior as far as injection depends on how much performance you are trying to get if you want superfast the fuel injection will limit your horsepower drastically to factory engine specs. Here is what my car looks like and a little bit about it it[www.youtube.com] these cars are a work in progress nothing wrong with that if you build car the way it is to make changes and not worry about screwing up fancy paint you can always restore it after it's done mechanically

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: February 04, 2013 05:31PM

Which amount up to Simple fix for the weak link in TR six the frame torque flexs really bad in that narrow spot in the rear there are a couple of ways of fixing it and making it the strongest spot on the frame and making your driveshaft easy to remove and making the differential movement visible for tuning you have to make a new tunnel cover taller these two bars triangulate the weak spot of the frame before I put these in my car would sometimes go through the traps at the dragstrip with the passenger side door open not good those two little bars stiffened frame right where it needs to be stiffened the rest of the frame is really pretty good and I have cut out a ton of it I figure it's only welded on you probably don't need it LOL no breastplate no tail crossbar front crossbar and lots of other small things
size2 004.JPG
size2 003.JPG
size2 002.JPG
size2 009.JPGhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veZXRVBkrHA

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: February 04, 2013 11:43PM

Wow great pictures and great video. Thanks for your responses and your advice. Makes things seem a little less daunting.

DoctorEurocar
Mitchell Isidore
South Florida
(6 posts)

05/01/2013 06:47PM

Main British Car:
1973 Triumph Stag 1990 SBF & T5 in progress

Posted by: DoctorEurocar
Date: May 06, 2013 05:21PM

I might be going the same route s you with a 302/T5 from 93 mustang. However I will opt for a edelbrock manifold AND 600CFM CARB. Only because I just do not want any hood scoops on my Stag. I have a fairly clean car, so Ill paint it once its tuned and running perfectly. Upholstery just needs to be restuffed. Chrome and trim is pretty good. For a driver its good. My only debate is wheels. I dont like the factory alloy Stag wheels and I dont want the expense of adding wire wheels....

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

01/25/2011 04:52PM

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Posted by: flyinlow
Date: May 12, 2013 09:05PM

Maybe I missed it but what model 72 triumph do you have?
If it is a Spitfire or GT6 a fuel injected 5.0 HO With fuel injection can be made to fit under a GT6 bonnet but will need a custom tubular upper intake built as there is no way the stock one will fit.

ALV
Al Vandergoot
(67 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 25, 2013 09:45AM

Sorry Kevin I missed your reply ergo the late answer. It is a TR6. I actually recently saw a rover v8 under the hood of a GT6 here in Victoria. I think the owner mentioned it came out of a Stag. No hood scoops nothing looked completely stock from the outside.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 25, 2013 05:48PM

All Stags originally came from the factory with Triumph iron-block 3.0L V8s, but quite a few of them have been converted to Rover aluminum-block 3.5L or larger V8 engines. (I wouldn't be surprised to learn that fifteen or twenty percent of surviving Stags have Rover engines.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.