Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

KBStag
keith bohanan

(13 posts)

08/31/2011 10:10AM

Main British Car:

73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Posted by: KBStag
Date: July 30, 2013 08:24AM

I switched out the old radiator for a new Aluminum one. Added dual fans to the front, and replaced the factory fan with a better new fan. New struts in the front, new shocks in the back. Had a good tune up, with carbs rebuilt. The transmission was rebuilt, and top and bottom engine rebuilt.
I have been enjoying this Stag for over a year now, and it's been a blast. I have been stuck in traffic and watched the temp stay in the medium range, while holding my breath. Whew... No issues.
It's a drag taking the top down, putting it up. That does take some time. I figured the best way to deal with this was to just keep the top down, and buy another one and keep the hard top on.
The new one should arrive today. I have not seen it in person yet. It's a 71 from the original owner with 29K miles. Original owner said he did have the engine worked on to keep it from overheating. I have had a couple of other Stags with ford and chevy engines. For me, they ran too hard, and too hot. That is why I decided to go with the original engine. I really love this car, and I get to drive it.
I will post up the new stag with photos in the condition I recieve it.
Don't fear the Stag.
October 2012 3636.JPG
October 2012 3637.JPG

UPDATE: I am guessing this is just for me. (Does anybody really read olden posts ?) Taking the top down is a bit of a pain, so why not just get another and keep the hard top on.
Here it is. My "Top Up" stag.
Original Engine. All is well. In the summer I will get the AC charged, and repaired if need.
Stagsilver.jpg
Stag55.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 09:03AM by KBStag.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Re: 73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Posted by: 88v8
Date: July 31, 2013 02:22AM

'It's a drag taking the top down, putting it up. That does take some time. I figured the best way to deal with this was to just keep the top down, and buy another one and keep the hard top on. '

The top on my TR6 is a bit of a faff, but yours is really an enthusiast's solution. So, you set off in one car, and tow the other one behind you, and if it rains you swap over?

:}

Ivor

KBStag
keith bohanan

(13 posts)

08/31/2011 10:10AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: KBStag
Date: July 12, 2014 10:19AM

The sad fact is, there isn't any rain in Los Angeles often enough to worry about it. Both cars are running great.
Both have the original engines, and ice cold AC blowing. I don't use the AC while in stop and go, or slow traffic, it tends to sound "grindy" once I am on a smooth drive of 45 MPH or faster, the AC hums along and the cold air flows. OK, Yes, you are thinking, why the AC with the top down? At night's its close to 80 and even with the top down, a little bit of the cool air just makes it that much nicer. In the day it can get up to 95 or higher, and then it's really nice to have AC.
Is a third Stag a crazy idea ? Someone out there talk me down off the ledge.

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(401 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: July 12, 2014 11:17AM

I an send you a CL link for a guy selling FOUR of them.
Not sure of condition but pretty certain they are projects/parts cars/conversion candidates.
At seven you might then have the largest collection.

StagByTriumph
Glenn Merrell
Colorado
(37 posts)

10/25/2007 12:11PM

Main British Car:
1973 Stag Rover SD1 3.5 w/ 3.9 EFI

authors avatar
Posted by: StagByTriumph
Date: July 12, 2014 03:33PM

I'd like to see that link too!

BTW, best support for Triumph Stags in the USA is my web site
TriumphStag.net all free but you have to register.

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(401 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: July 12, 2014 06:25PM

I put that link and FOUR more up on the sale forum.
I think that's about seven cars and some body parts.

[forum.britishv8.org]

I wish GT6 parts were so easy to find.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.