Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

09/02/2013 01:41PM

Main British Car:
1957 TR3 Buick 231 evenfire V6

TR3 with Buick V6
Posted by: ghornbostel
Date: September 02, 2013 03:04PM

I'm new to this site with a 1957 TR3. Have had the car for 36 years and it has undergone some changes. Drove it about 10 years with the stock 4. When it was time to rebuild I decided that the cost was too great and swapped it out for a evenfire 231 Buick adapted to TR3 gearbox. That went and the rear end shortly after and they were replaced with a Saganaw 4sp and GM 10 bolt rear end. Many enjoyable miles later it is rebuild time and another big change. I bought a Jim Inglese weber induction system and had to basically reswap the engine to keep from cutting the hood. The last change is a BW T5 transmission before a engine blueprint job this winter. Enjoy

Greg Hornbostel

found a couple of usable photos. The third one you will notice that the 3 is hitched at times and it has a set of "summertime in Nebraska" screens. It pulls a bike trailer real good.

Webers 004.jpg
loovers 004.jpg
loovers 006.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 08:46AM by ghornbostel.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: TR3 with Buick V6
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 02, 2013 05:10PM

Welcome to BritishV8. That's a very interesting car you've got there! I'd really like to work with you to create a page for our Triumph Photo Gallery section. Some information about gallery additions may be found here.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: September 03, 2013 06:42AM

And it looks pretty much stock. That's an achievement in itself.
You even resisted the temptation to swap the wheels. Excellent.

Ivor

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: September 03, 2013 09:19AM

Man, there are going to be some upset TRA guys when they see that....LOL!!!

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 03, 2013 03:17PM

Curtis, This fall when I do a teardown I'll take a few more pictures. This 3 has always been a road car and was built with that purpose in mind. The fact that it looks absolutely stock is a little deceptive and I must admit it can be a lot of fun especially when comments are made as to its originality which it is not. What you see is three cars bought back in the 1970's when nobody wanted a goofy TR3. All of it was fabricated in my shop. Sports cars just have to have a set of Weber carburators. The manifold was quite expensive but at the age of 69 I figured there probably wasn't enough time left to fabricate one, which was what I was going to do as I had never seen or heard of a weber setup for a Buick V6. I still haven't decided on a mechanical lifter camshaft or not yet but I really like the mechanical clatter and the sound of the webers too. The paint is crap and the body has more parking lot dents in it than my daily driver but nobody messes with it because of that. My son (its actually his car) drove it to UNL during summer sessions and it sat alone in a huge parking lot. No way to lock it up so I sent a wrench with him and he would pull the steering wheel. It will probably be going to Cape Ann, Mass in the near future, which is where it belongs, and I'm looking foreward to driving it out there on some non-straight roads.
Thanks to all for the comments.
Regards
Greg Hornbostel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 08:32AM by ghornbostel.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: September 08, 2013 09:50AM

Awesome car Greg. Can't wait to see more pics. You and your son should consider joining the group in Colorado this coming July. You'd enjoy the group, your car would be a great hit, and it'd be an enjoyable trip!

Hope to meet you there.

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 26, 2014 11:44PM

well its been sometime since I started to redo a old engine swap. The cylinder block returned from the machine shop with .060 over bore and the crank reground. It has 10:1 pistons, Crower cam (282*/287* .478"/.486" lift), reworked heads (bowls opened up and 3 angle valve job and matched ports), aluminum flywheel and center force clutch. I redid the front engine and transmission mounts and did a lot of work on the driver side foot box to gain leg room. Also built a steering offset box to get the turnsignals back on the steering wheel. It also straightened out the steering alignment. Took a few photos but only 1 ended up under 600 kb.
Enjoy

Greg
tr3 engine 003.jpg

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: July 12, 2014 04:08PM

Moving foreward and now ready for the engine. Won't quite make it in time for Colorado Springs but then there's always Indy.
tr3 engine 016.jpg
tr3 engine 017.jpg
tr3 engine 019.jpg
tr3 engine 020.jpg

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: August 20, 2014 12:27PM

Well, this pretty well sums it up. Engine has about 150 miles on it and feels very strong. Really like the sound of the webers and solid lifters. I installed a cruse control for long Nebraska trips (flat, straight roads). Have to get the carpet/heat barrer back in place. Hope to make the vintage races in Hastings, NE Labor Day weekend.

Greg
tr3 engine 028.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 12:28PM by ghornbostel.

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: August 21, 2014 02:09PM

I bet that is just a blast to drive!

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: September 15, 2014 09:45PM

New top and a redo on the steel over tubing side curtains from a few years ago. Really had a good drive even though the webers weren't quite right.
tr3 engine 029.jpg

Winston
Winston Wood
Houston, TX (Clear Lake)
(15 posts)

10/25/2011 12:11PM

Main British Car:
1976 Spitfire Mazda 1.8

authors avatar
Posted by: Winston
Date: November 15, 2014 07:07PM

That is really slick. Love it -- even more so because it's worn in all the right places. Those six trumpets sticking up look really sweet too.

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 16, 2014 11:17AM

thanks Winston. The weather has turned really cold here now and the work list is to rebuild the worm and peg (12:1 ratio) steering, lexan windows for the side curtains and clean and coat the gas tank so the webers will stop popping. Three weeks ago I pulled them down to clear the rust from the float bowls as it had really started to pop at speed again. It has been gradually been less between tear-downs but has never completely stopped. How it gets by the filtration is a mystery to me. The steering will probably be changed to rack and pinion when funds permit (SS doesn"t cover TR3 parts). I have changed the front geometry to zero camber and 3* castor (TR4 trunions and ball joints). I'm really not interested in race setup and its nice that the steering returns to center after a turn. Found that the bearing races on the worm were worn, the peg on the rocker shaft worn and the rocker shaft bushing badly worn also. Trued the bearing races up on the worm and ground the rocker shaft round and fitted a under sized bushing in the steering box. Along with a new peg it should be quite an improvement. I've decided to build a new offset box with needle bearings instead of bushings also. I'm really looking foreward to the lexan windows for the side curtains as I can then drive in the winter with a reasonable amount of comfort. I've got to get a picture of the new air cleaners that is under 600kb. I fabed them last summer and the glue holding the foam together is working great.

Greg

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: November 17, 2014 03:56AM

I like the lived-in look of this car.
You can post any size pics with Photobucket - copy/paste the IMG code.

Ivor

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: November 30, 2014 11:30AM

The weather here in Nebraska has really been a roller coster. From day time temps in the teens to yesterdays 70*. I hate to leave a post hanging so a update for the few that are interested. It is amazing what a small steel pin will make in the steering of a TR3. The car won't parallel park but going down the road is just fantastic. Renewing the bearing races on the worm and grinding the rocker shaft round and a new bushing helped too but I did this before replacing the peg in the sector and the difference was as stated "amazing". I really have to change my mind about rack and pinion.
The tank is coming out this week. I think I'll be replacing the fuel lines too. When there is no crap in the weber float bowls this engine runs at more than expectations. Its no full on sbc or sbf but it performs very well and after many checks on fuel economy it still delivers 24 mpg. The more I tear them apart the more I learn about them and I am really looking forward to getting rid of the rust in the float bowls.
I've just about had it with vinyl glued to metal. I believe I'll strip the dash and paint it body color and be finished with it. I'll have to metal finish all the body caps around the cockpit too so this could take some time. I've also been thinking of painted sheet metal side panels in the cockpit also.
Tim, the speedo is still working great. Thanks again
My TR3 disease continues and I'm still not interested in a cure
Greg

Orange Alpine
Bill Blue

(45 posts)

12/20/2010 07:36AM

Main British Car:
1967 Sunbeam Alpine 2.5 Ford Duratec

Posted by: Orange Alpine
Date: December 02, 2014 07:57AM

Love your "3". I've found it is amazing what a repower can do to these old cars, even if your not striving for supercar performance. I recently had a friend drive my Duratec powered Alpine. Ever seen a 73 year old man giggle like a school girl?

If your going to paint your dash, consider a hammered finish paint. Requires minimal prep, covers imperfections rather than highlight them. Here is my Alpine dash, painted with Krylon silver gray. The dash is made of some sort of plastic.

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Orangealpine/P2100110.jpg

Bill

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: December 02, 2014 09:42AM

Bill, thanks for the pic and yes I see that 73 year old man (I'm only 70) giggle like a school girl every time I drive the TR3. At the time I put the Buick in the 3 the only engine around was the Olds quad 4 and it was so hot with the midget boys that they were hard to find and out of my pay range. The Buick came out of a Regal that my wife bought new and passed down to our son for his high school car in the early 90s. One of his friends talked him into driving the car and it ended up cleaning out several hundred yards of rural Nebraska borrow pit (ditch) and that was the start of that.
Gas tank has been coated and the fuel lines are next. Its really hard to take this car apart again because when the temp gets above 40* its time for a drive. The dash has to come out and that job has to be done. The hammer tone is attractive to me and the shape of the sheet metal under the vinyl will determine what gets done. I put a Dakota cruise control in the car and I'm not sure if I like where the control has ended up at left of the steering wheel high in the arch of the dash. Mabe french it into the dash so it matches the gage cluster and glove box cutouts. Its going to be hard making a 2000 year product look like it was made in 1957.

Greg

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: September 30, 2015 02:10PM

The timing is bad financially but I just bought one of the Inglese Weber manifolds for my 231 engine.

In trying out different aftermarket manifolds I learned that some may not cover the heat risers of the later heads and that the "Tall Port" 231 heads may be a poor match to the earlier manifolds.

You have a 231, do you also have the "Tall Port" heads and does the Inglese manifold match them well?

I was going to use a KB-1 until I can get the Englese sorted out but the KB ports are short on the top side.
Enough so that I am considering having the top side welded up in order to have enough material to match the ports and still have a sealing surface.

ghornbostel
Greg Hornbostel
Nebraska
(76 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: October 01, 2015 05:58PM

Richard, You have 1 of 21 manifolds or so I have been told. Jim Inglese only said to me "very few". The person I bought my manifold from said the 21 number. [www.gnttype.org] If you go to this forum there are photo guides of all the engine parts and how to identify them. My manifold ports match a stock gasket. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for your manifold. Mine cost me $2200 and included the Inglese webers , fuel blocks and fuel lines, fuel pressure gage and linkage. I believe it spent most of its life on a shelf.

Greg

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: October 01, 2015 11:38PM

About $380.00 on feeBay.
Mine was the second of only two bids.
Also got nothing more than the manifold.
Of course I found it purely by accident, with nine minutes remaining, on a Saturday, with no money in the bank.
I was actually only looking for a flywheel, HONEST!
You know I never would have found one of these if I were actually looking for it.

Carbs alone are now $2K - $3K+, which is insane to me.
There are new productiuon improved versions available too, $4K!

So it's most likely this is going to get converted to F.I. even if have to make my own throttle bodies.
Hoping to avoid that so looking at some MC pieces to adapt.
Suspect that a plenem for the MAF to work properly may be fun to make.
Perhaps use some spare Rover parts I have here which would sort of keep it in the BOP/R family.
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.