Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

12/16/2012 03:16PM

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Still dragracing
Posted by: tomsbad6
Date: October 15, 2013 08:12AM

Hello it's me Mr. Ahlstrom this is a video ensure you like my car has a major problem still I don't know if I can make 5.90 ET this year but I'm still having fun at the dragstrip this video is a good one it shows the guy that runs the staging lanes letting me know that he has money on this race the staging guy and I have worked out a system I put up money he does the betting he's the only guy there that really knows how fast each car is with no scoreboard at the track this car I'm racing is absolutely beautiful 427 FE block side oiler to 4s probably 700 or 800 hp not only did his big slicks launch the car better but he spake me on the trees real bad I sprayed the car in third gear and beat him by a bumper

I tried new slicks on my car it overheated my viscous LSD r200 in just three passes the tires worked great that viscous unit could not take it I have coming in the mail today a Nissan factory halical positive traction carrier is out of a new GTR they only sell that differential in Japan I've never tried a helical diff before but anything else would make my car un road raceable everything I've read says they work great dragracing with the weather here in Michigan I probably only have one more shot at reaching my goal this year plus the lifters in my motor are going away fast so my next trip to the track it looks like it'll be all or nothin[www.youtube.com]

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Re: Still dragracing
Posted by: Dan B
Date: October 15, 2013 09:07AM

Looks like you had fun Mr. A, even though he got the holeshot on you. Nice video.

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: October 15, 2013 01:39PM

Yeah they held us up right in the middle of staging the two cars we were both at full stage and they stopped us it kind of threw me off my cars launching so bad right now anyway I'm getting pretty used to having to chase every car I race it's kind of fun that way especially when you can muscle around those big block cars the guy in the yellow shirt made us 100 bucks on that pass I lost us 50 bucks on the next pass by red lighting at the end of the day we both went home $175 richer that day they were running a . 400 Pro tree on my best day that's a little overwhelming especially being a five-speed car

next week I hope to be coming off the line at 5500 RPMs on the bottle dangling the front tires and then those big block cars can try to catch me at least that's my plan and I'm sticking to it

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: October 16, 2013 03:47AM

Well, your launch looked pretty good.
I have an R200 in my car, never launched it like that though lol.

So, what's with the lifters?

Ivor

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: October 16, 2013 03:39PM

Hello the lifters in my car are the third set of lifters in this motor the camshaft has very steep ramps it's very hard on lifters normally the car just explodes from 5500 RPMs to 7500 RPMs which is very high for a hydraulic roller cam all the dino sheets that I got with the cam say that it makes a flat line of horsepower through that RPM range the motor has been grumbling on the top and for a couple of weeks it doesn't want to turn up over 7000 I thought it was a week valve spring so I adjusted the lifters very deep 3 1/2 turns in usually if it's a valve spring the lifters will over pump and it will start popping right away but it actually ran better with the lifters adjusted deep so that means the plungers can't handle the spring pressure at that RPM I have the best anti-pump up lifters I could find the next shot is to try a thing called a short throw lifter I think that would probably work but everything that I've read about them has been bad so this winter weather I change the cam to a solid roller or try one more set of lifters I really don't know I just have to be careful not to pull the RPMs too high the way it is right now it's too bad because I like to shift it at about 7000 or 7200 and then it starts off the next gear right at its peak horsepower my camshaft timing is retarded 7° to make less torque at the bottom and more horsepower up on top I wanted to find a solid roller cam when I built the motor but I could not find one I liked

it's clearly an exhaust lifter problem if it were an intake lifter my nitrous would already have blown the intake manifold off the motor the exhaust side of my camshaft is much more aggressive than the intake side I did build a new r200 differential last night with a helical carrier
hal 004.JPG
hal 003.JPG

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: October 17, 2013 02:09PM

Third set of lifters... you sure it's not the cam lobes flatting off? Putting new lifters on an old cam makes for very rapid wear as they bed in.
So you built a new R200 - most people won't touch diff building, too tricky....is there anything you can't do? lol

Ivor

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: October 17, 2013 02:45PM

Hello roller lifter camshafts do not wear the lobes unless you break a lifter the cam that is in my motor I bought used on eBay from a professional engine builder he called it his dino room test cam he had used it in four different engines testing different cylinder head combinations I bought it very cheap with a set of Ford racing lifters if I remember right I only paid 80 bucks for it the only reason the guy sold the cam is because you cannot buy that cam anymore as long as the main journals are not war out it will go for a lot of years a local Ford engine builder knows that I have the cam and claims it's the best Street grind cam he had ever used he told me he'd give me 200 bucks for it if I ever pull it out another possibility for my problem I could have too much valve spring pressure my valve springs are 370 pounds I bought all my motor parts from different places I never did match my spring pressure to the lifters that could be the problem all I know is with new lifters and it it runs like a bat out of hell but the cam lobes are not wearing at all

I have come to conclusion if I replace the cam shaft to get a cam that has very little bottomland minimal midrange torque and a ton of horsepower right on top and a lot more exhaust lobe than intake for my nitrous I am probably going to have to have one custom ground most of the cams on the market today are setup equal lift and duration intake and exhaust they do that because 90% of their customers are running EFI old-school carburetor camshafts are hard to find for a streetcar especially when you start talking about going to a solid lifter camshaft

as far as rebuilding a r200 that is the easiest differential in the world to work on the Japanese know what they're doing their tolerances are light years ahead of what any American company could ever achieve the housing I used was Infiniti Q 45 the ring and pinion 1990 300z the carrier 2012 skyline and it all bolt of together perfectly the first time exactly .008 backlash exactly like it should be I built Ford 8.8 4 guy this summer it took me three days to get the stupid thing right and that was putting in a brand-new Ford racing ring and pinion

v869tr6
Ed Olson

(81 posts)

10/25/2007 09:54PM

Main British Car:
69 TR6 487 CI Pontiac

Posted by: v869tr6
Date: October 17, 2013 05:09PM

What did it run for E.T, mph and 60ft?

tomsbad6
Tom Ahlstrom
Michigan
(129 posts)

Main British Car:
Triumph TR-6 347 Ford

Date: October 18, 2013 07:49AM

Hello Ed this track is only been open for about six weeks it's eighth mile it's the first track to let me run my car in a lot of years other than the trail arms that I built for the car it is completely stock chassis no safety equipment it's my daily driver the only car I own other than my work trucks the first week at the track it was brand-new and very little rubber down much more like Street which is what my car is set up for that week they were running borrowed snowmobile timing equipment with no 60 foot times that week in the beginning of the day before the viscous LSD got hot it ran 2 back to back 6.60 at 96 miles an hour since then with new timing equipment my 60 foot times have been all over the place all terrible from 1.70 to 1.95 my Nissan viscous unit is gone this weekend and I can put the good tires back on the car and I'm hoping to go 1.50 or less I have barely even started spraying the car I have not gone over 100 shot and that was a mild tune with only 34° of timing I've basically been out there sandbagging learning all that I can about the car making a little money waiting for my new differential parts to arrive from Japan I have the parts now but I have to go to a wedding this weekend I don't think my cars ever to run quite like yours does your car is a very smooth ride everything seems to do what it's supposed to my car is like getting strapped on the back of a bull with a bad attitude my rear suspension is working perfectly it's a little bit odd but it transfers the weight minimal tire spin and it never wheel hops once I get my 60 foot times down it's just a matter of driving it out the back I've done Street testing with my new nx perimeter nitrous plate spraying it 250 hp it's very smooth nothing more than a small tire chirp in second third fourth and fifth gear I only wish I could get more tire underneath this thing but that's not going to happen there are other videos of the car on YouTube and on this site under dragstrip results hopefully this new helical diff does what they claim it will do

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.