Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

08/04/2008 08:35PM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Finally Coming Together
Posted by: epeppy
Date: January 28, 2014 07:47PM

Got enough wiring done to see what the gauges are going to look like.

This is what they look like during the day.
dashday.JPG

This is what they will look like at night.
dashnight.JPG

Have finished most of the wiring. Still need to do some interior lights but for the most part it's done. This cold weather, holidays, etc. have kind of slowed progress. It's got to start warming up soon.

Ed

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: January 31, 2014 07:20PM

I think there's a song "momma said there'd be days like this". Took the distributor out to prime the engine before trying to start it up. Looked down in the hole and some idiot (me!) forgot to put the oil pump shaft in before putting the oil pump in. So... drained the oil, took the pan bolts off, and tried to pull the pan off. Finally got the gasket seal broke loose. Guess I thought it was never going to have to come off. Didn't have enough room to get the front of the pan off. Don't have enough room between the oil pump and the front crossmember. Took the motor mounts off and tried to raise the engine. Trans hit the top of the firewall. What a pain. So, I just about have everything disconnected to pull the engine tomorrow. Not exactly what I had planned. The plan now is to get the engine running, break it in, tune it, and anything else it might need before it goes back in. So much for a schedule. Oh, and also got a letter for jury duty today. It could probably be worse.... maybe. At least I haven't ruined the engine yet.

Ed

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: January 31, 2014 09:13PM

Keep pressing on and don't let these things discourage you. I have found as I work on myTR6 that any job worth doing is done at least three times!!

Cheers
Byron

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: January 31, 2014 10:31PM

Byron is right 3,4or 5 times until it is right. Well worth doing!

A good story that I went through.

My ls1 engine had a hard time priming the oil to the oil pressure gauge for the first time. I was not going to start the engine until there was pressure. I turned the engine over with the starter, had the coils disconnected,fuel pump shut off, pulled the spark plugs trying to get it to prime . I ran down one battery and it still didn't prime. So I took off the oil pressure sending unit which opened up a 1/4" hole on the top of the block in the back. I took a very small funnel and poured oil in the hole until no more would go in. I was thinking, I would need to pull the timing cover back off, try to replace the O ring that could pinch real easy on a Ls1, between the oil pump, and the pick up tube. So pouring oil in the top of the block was a last ditch effort not to pull the timing cover off.....Re-installed the oil pressure sending unit back into the block and turn the engine over one last time. " Victorious" It primed, and the oil pressure was showing on the gauge with 50psi. So needless to say "you need to check and check, and check and re-check until you feel everything is right before you proceed to start your engine". I have heard and read where people have jumped the gun some and ruin their engines, not a fun situation.

So pulling the engine is the correct way to handle it Ed. Check and check everything else before you put it back in. In the end you will have one very cool car that you can appreciate. It will put that big grin back on your face every time you drive it.

As far as Jury duty, we are able to respond online here in California. I filled a form out that states I'm the only bread winner in the house, and I would lose to much money for the days they would need me for their jury duty. Just a thought! Don't know about your state that you live in.

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: February 01, 2014 05:38AM

Replaced the oil pump gears on my Rover 215. Vaseline.. priming tool, drill.... wouldn't prime.

Pulled them again, this lying on the drive in winter, hard to do when you can't feel your fingers, why didn't I leave it until summer... Engine building grease...priming tool, drill, wouldn't prime.

Decided to replace the pressure relief valve with a 'tadpole'.
Speaking to the chap who sold them... errrm it was was a while ago... errrm, anyway I mentioned the problem.
'Where did you get the cover gasket?' he asked.
Turned out the gasket that came with the gears was a couple of thou too thick. A known problem that these bad gaskets were in circulation grrr.
He sent me the correct gasket, it primed.

If I had just fired the motor, that would have been the end of it.

Now, I don't know if you can get a priming tool for your engine, but the trouble with priming it on the starter, by the time it gets going all the cam lube has been wiped.

Something else to worry about. :}

Won't drift on to camshaft running-in procedure, I'm sure that's been amply covered in this forum.

Ivor

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 01, 2014 09:58AM

That oil pump end clearance needs to be set tight. TA sells the shim kit (gaskets). If it just drags a little when assembled cold that is just about right.

Jim

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: February 01, 2014 06:24PM

Byron and Calvin, thanks for encourgement and stories like Ivor's kind of make me cringe. It's good to have folks that have been through this to give advice.

Jim, is that TA Performance? Didn't realize the oil pump end clearance was something that could be adjusted.

After a slow start I was able to get the engine and trans out today. Pulled the trans while I was at it. Was going to replace the rear seal before it went in after paint but I forgot. Looking at this little excersize as an opportunity to check, check, and recheck (how many times Calvin?) everything before it goes back in.

Ed

engine_out.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6468 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: February 01, 2014 07:53PM

Oh right, that's a Ford engine. Can't help you there.

Jim

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: March 29, 2014 08:17PM

Probably a little late in the game to be adding a rear torsion bar, but I wanted to have the body on the frame and the mufflers installed so I could see what kind of clearance I had. Well, I put it off long enough and decided I needed to make some decisions to add a rear bar. I had purchased and installed a Richard Goods 7/8" front bar so I knew I needed to install a rear bar.

Had originally wanted to install bushings in the frame rails below the trunk area. Unfortunately, the mufflers would interfere with this location. I have seen some bars that were mounted on the spring tower/front diff crossmember, but the tubing I welded between the two crossmembers would keep me from using this area.

I had some space above the frame rail but not enough to get a bar between the top of the frame rail and the bottom of the trunk. I decided I needed to cut the frame so that I could lower the bar halfway into the frame. This would give me clearance above the mufflers and below the bottom of the trunk.

Hopefully this might help someone else who is trying to install a rear bar and has similar issues. I had talked with Richard Good and found out that his rear bar is 7/8" and has an arm length of 11" to the center hole. I wanted a shorter arm length (8.5") so I ended up using a 3/4" diameter bar. Should be real close in spring rate to Richard's. Ordered the bar, along with a splined and smooth bore bushing. The bar is cut to the length required and the bushings are welded to the arms. The smooth bore bushing is welded to the bar. The shorter arm allows the bar to be easily removed through the wheel well. Purchased some 3/4" greasable bushings from Energy Suspension.

Made some brackets for the bushings to sit on. Also made the arms, and the bracket that attaches to the trailing arm. Wanted to try and use the old lever shock location at the rear of the trailing arm to attach the bracket.

Cut a piece of pipe to weld back into the notch that was cut in the frame rail. Also welded in some sleeves for the bolts that would attach the support bracket.
Bar 1.JPG

Bracket attached to trailing arm with male and female rod ends to connect to the bar arm.
Bar 2.JPG

Bushing mounted to support bracket.
Bar 3.JPG

Support bracket bolted to frame.
Bar 4.JPG

After a few false starts (distributor in 180* out, intake manifold leak), the engine is running. Still need to do some timing and carb adjusting but at least it's running.

Ed

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: March 29, 2014 08:49PM

Ed your swaybar looks real good. If I ever decide to go with one I may be talking to you.
Congratulations on getting the engine running! Now on to the next thing......

Cheers
Byron

74ls1tr6
Calvin Grannis
Elk Grove,CA
(1151 posts)

11/10/2007 10:05AM

Main British Car:
74 TR6 / 71 MGB GT TR6/Ls1 71 MGB GT/Ls1

authors avatar
Posted by: 74ls1tr6
Date: March 30, 2014 10:04AM

Ed,

Great idea that you came up with. Looks like it will work fine.This will give your mufflers the room they need. Very cool!

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: April 02, 2014 08:48PM

Thanks Byron and Calvin. The "next" thing is to get the interior put in. I'll feel like it's just about finished when that happens. I've got Bob Danielson's interior panel kit and MrMikes seat covers along with all the trim and fittings. I originally had planned to do the interior installation myself, but I'm leaning towards letting someone else do it. It's supposed to rain the next couple of days so maybe Saturday I'll load it on the trailer and take it to a couple of places to get some estimates. If the estimates are ridiculous, I'll probably just end up doing it myself. I know it will take me a lot longer to do it myself and I would hate to miss some great spring weather to do some driving. Hopefully the estimates will be reasonable. I am still planning on trying to make the meet in Townsend May 9-11. We'll see.

First time it's been out of the shop under it's own power.

ShopTR6.JPG

Ed

v869tr6
Ed Olson

(81 posts)

10/25/2007 09:54PM

Main British Car:
69 TR6 487 CI Pontiac

Posted by: v869tr6
Date: April 06, 2014 12:54AM

Wow, sure is a nice build, glad it's under it's own power. Have fun!!

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: April 07, 2014 11:54PM

Thanks for the kind words Ed. Hopefully will be having "fun" soon. Had an exhaust manifold leak and pulled the header off. Fortunately it was the passenger side so I didn't have to remove the steering shafts (again). It hasn't stopped raining here so still haven't gotten any prices for the interior. Installed a rollbar today that I added a 3rd brake light to. The bar is more for looks as it's not tied to the frame but it still should add a little rigidity.

Ed

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: April 08, 2014 05:40PM

Just a couple of pictures of the rollbar installation.

Rollbar1.JPG

Rollbar2.JPG

Rollbar3.JPG

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Posted by: 88v8
Date: April 09, 2014 02:01AM

Hmmm.
Don't know how this will tie into the overall 'look' of the car, but I decided the roll bar was an ugification, and took it out of mine.

Ivor

Charles
Charles Long
McDonald, TN
(177 posts)

09/15/2013 08:54AM

Main British Car:
1966 MGB V6 1994 Camaro 3.4L 60V6

authors avatar
Posted by: Charles
Date: April 11, 2014 10:18PM

Ed, I too like the color. I notice several things you are doing to the car that speak highly of your skills. Thanks for posting the pictures. A short side story of my oil pump priming. I have just finished building a GM V6, wanted, like you to prime the oil pump. So with a portable drill, extension, socket, I start the drill, noticed oil coming from the pressure gauge adapter, tightend that. I am a little lacking in the hearing department, I start the drill again and am watching the push rods for oil on the right side, then the drill speeds up and I noticed why. It looks as though an Exxon super tanker has run aground in the shop, I have empted 5 qts in about 30 seconds. I had not seen the hose come loose on the remote filter adapter. Maybe we will see each other in Townsend this year.
I hope your progress is coming on.
Regards
charles

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: April 15, 2014 07:52PM

Thanks for the kind words Charles. I know that I have incorporated a lot of what I have done by looking at photos that others have posted, so I'm hoping that someone might benefit from what I've posted.

I think everyone has some type of horror story when it comes to engine building/starting. I know I've had my share.

I am still planning to make it to Townsend. May not have an interior in it but at least it's running. Hope to see you there. Was not far from McDonald over the winter. Bought a boat from Madisonville Marine right off of 75. Hopefully, one of these days it's going to warm up so I can put it in the water.

Ed

Ronp
Ron Pulliam
Tacoma Wa
(15 posts)

04/19/2014 12:09AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1963 Buick 215

Posted by: Ronp
Date: April 21, 2014 04:38PM

I noticed the absence of a battery in several posts. Are they being tucked somewhere in the trunk? Sure makes the engine compartment cleaner!
Oh, and I love the color, too.

epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Date: April 22, 2014 12:05AM

Ron, yes, the battery is in the trunk. Many installations require cutting of the battery shelf to move the motor back. The 302 is a little more forgiving when a short water pump is used. I probably could have fit a battery on what shelf that was left but liked the idea of moving the weight to the rear. I installed a second solenoid in the trunk so the 1/0 cable going to the front is only hot during start-up. Have another 8 ga wire that handles the battery charging.

Ed
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.