Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4


epeppy
Ed Peppard
Woodlawn, TN
(61 posts)

Registered:
08/04/2008 08:35PM

Main British Car:
1975 TR6 Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Finally Coming Together
Posted by: epeppy
Date: April 24, 2014 08:30PM

And.... the saga continues. Put a total of 13.5 miles on before things started to sound like something was wrong. Had been losing coolant and could see it coming out the exhaust. The engine was running poorly and decided I needed to do some looking. Took the valve cover off on the passenger side and was kind of horrified to see rocker arms where they shouldn't be and push rod ends staring me in the face. Took the carb, intake and heads off. The only real casualty was number two cylinder intake valve pushrod. Was relieved that was the only damage.

I have now learned a few things about small block fords. Ford used 3 different methods to attach rocker arms. Pedastel mount (uses a bolt), stud with a step (uses a 1/2" nut), and straight shaft stud (uses a 5/8" nut). I read how to remove the valve lash by rotating the pushrod and then giving the nut another 1/2 turn (or 3/4, or full turn depending on what you read) to preload the lifter. Well, that's what I did. Only problem is that the straight stud is the only type of rocker arm attachment that has adjustment. The stepped stud just gets torqued to 20 ft lbs and that's it.

Also learned something about torquing heads on a 302. Most manuals tell you to torque in 3 steps of 30, 50, and 70 ft lbs. On further reading I have learned that it is advisable to torque the upper head bolts under the valve cover to 80 ft lbs. Evidently the 302 is susceptable to leaks when the intake is torqued down. The leaks that I had were on the intake side of the head on no. 1 and no. 2 cylinder.

Was planning to put it back together without pulling the engine but had difficulty getting the rear head bolts out. Was concerned that I would not be able to get the torque wrench on them. Have just about got it ready to come out. Hopefully, tomorrow.

I think this is going to keep me from getting to Townsend. Was really wanting to make that trip. Is there something planned for the fall?

Ed

pushrods.JPG


danmas
Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee
(577 posts)

Registered:
10/28/2007 12:11AM

Main British Car:
1974 MGBGT Ford 302

authors avatar
Re: Finally Coming Together
Posted by: danmas
Date: April 24, 2014 09:10PM

Quote:
I think this is going to keep me from getting to Townsend. Was really wanting to make that trip. Is there something planned for the fall?

Yes, the first weekend in October we'll have our annual get-together at the Talley-Ho inn in Townsend. Strictly informal - no plans, no schedule, no fees, just a bunch of British hot-rod enthusiasts hanging out together and burning up the local twisties.

[forum.britishv8.org]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 09:13PM by danmas.


dbeliveau
Daniel Beliveau
Manchester NH
(33 posts)

Registered:
07/18/2015 07:41PM

Main British Car:
1972 Triumph Stag, 1972 Ford 302 1974 Jensen Healey, Lotus 907 stroked to 2.2 Ltr,

authors avatar
Re: Finally Coming Together
Posted by: dbeliveau
Date: November 07, 2015 09:45PM

These dashes all look great would have liked to have that CNC capability when I did my Spitfire dash.
I used a hand held drill with hole saws and a coping saw to cut the glove box, (That's right glove box)
I only have a picture of the finished dash. I used a piece of cherry from a tree my uncle had cut down in his yard, cut all the holes sanded the heck out of it and finished it with 20 coats of satin tung oil. Also hand turned the shift knob using my drill and vise as a makeshift lathe.
80Spit after7r1 (1024 x 768).jpg
Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.