Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

BillyB
William Bonbright

(4 posts)

04/04/2014 12:12AM

Main British Car:

Triumph Spitfire V8 Conversion
Posted by: BillyB
Date: April 04, 2014 12:18AM

Hey guys/gals,
Just joined up. Wanted to try and get some feedback about trying to put a V8 into a triumph spitfire. I've seen several people putting a rover in, but I was thinking more on the lines of a chevy or ford small block. Any thoughts?

Spitfire 350
Phil McConnell
Perrysburg, OH (Toledo area)
(257 posts)

01/11/2010 09:19PM

Main British Car:
74 Spitfire 350Chevy

authors avatar
Re: Triumph Spitfire V8 Conversion
Posted by: Spitfire 350
Date: April 05, 2014 09:01AM

Welcome Billy,
Take a look in the photo galleries. there are 2 Spitfires and 1 GT6 using small block Chevys and 2 GT6s using Ford V8s.

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

01/25/2011 04:52PM

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Posted by: flyinlow
Date: April 05, 2014 03:23PM

Welcome to the British V8 forums
Both have been done successfully , I looked at both conversions and decided on the ford 5.0 efi because it is lighter and much narrower. with a custom built upper intake can fit under a stock GT6 bonnet (hood)
Here is a link to a chevy powered spitfire that has worked well for allot of years. [www.ye-beast.com]

BillyB
William Bonbright

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 05, 2014 05:25PM

Spitfire350. I checked out those v8's and I'm really trying to keep her looking more natural (original)...not into the whole hood scoop stuff. However, it got me to the gt6 page and bam. There was what I was leaning towards. A gt6 with an ls1 engine in it. I sent him a PM and I hope he will respond. Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Flyinlow. I have seen that one before, again I hate cutting into the bonnet....even if it's just a hole. It just doesn't look triumph.
Anyway, I've only begun my research but, think I may look more towards EFI to maintain an outer appearance as close to original as possible...but, may need to go with a GT6 for the clearances needed or I'm gonna get into a lot of fabrication.
Out of curiosity, does anyone sell 1/2 way done projects on here. Or fully finished ones? Also, after all said and done...take a gt6 or spit and convert it to LS1 with all of its accoutrements. Would it be more cost effective to go with a shelby cobra kit? They are right around 30k for a used one, in ok shape.

Thanks,
Billy

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Date: April 05, 2014 10:46PM

There will be allot of fab work with whatever V8 you choose and will need to also decide what you want to use for a rear diff as the stock unit wont even come close to holding the torque. You don't need to go to a GT6 for extra room , just use a GT6 bonnet, its a direct bolt on for a spitfire and still looks correct to anyone except triumph purists and its kinda fun to snub them anyway. If you were concerned about purist's you wouldn't be considering a V8.

The 5.0 efi is quite a bit narrower than the chevy which will give you more foot room and can be made to fit under a GT6 bonnet, the only space difference is the power bulge in the bonnet. as seen here [www.britishv8.org] some of the other mods may not be your style but it does show that it will fit without a scoop. and very similar to what I am doing for the intake.

BillyB
William Bonbright

(4 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: April 25, 2014 10:39PM

Well it looks after much research that the v8 conversion will not happen. I am going to try to swap out the old 4 banger with a 13b rotary. Not my first choice but has the correct HP, light weight, and seems to be better for the steering, suspension, and general appearance of the stock spitfire.
So, where to next? 12b verses 13b. That is the question.

flyinlow
Kevin .
Elko NV
(84 posts)

Main British Car:
1964 Spitfire Ford 5.0

Date: April 27, 2014 10:48AM

I have built several rotary powered sand rails as well as four RX7's and feel it would be allot of fun in a light car like a spitfire. Personally I would go with a later model 13B , you'll need to use a 12a distributor go with the distributor that has ignitor modules attached not remotely mounted ignition modules.

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(401 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: May 11, 2014 02:25AM

I threw away a Mazda rotary that had been crammed into my Marcos.
Not sure that's going to be a great fit in a Spitfire either as the transmission is very long and forces the engine to sit further forward to get the gearshift right.
You want the engine well BEHIND the front wheels.
I am going with a V6, shorter package, easier to fit, T5 trans should be fine and saves dollars while still giving you overdrive.
My 02¢

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.