Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

Ronp
Ron Pulliam
Tacoma Wa
(15 posts)

04/19/2014 12:09AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1963 Buick 215

Replacing IRS U-joints
Posted by: Ronp
Date: May 16, 2014 05:07PM

If this sounds like an ignorant question, it's because it probably is. Playing under my 1971 TR6's stock rear suspension, I found a disturbing amount of play in the outer U-joints (both sides) . We're talking 1/8" + when I pull it up and down. This can't be good. My question: In this vehicle, am I likely to find out the play is limited to the Universal joint itself, or are the yokes likely to be worn, as well? Your personal experiences? Hearsay? Rumors?

88v8
Ivor Duarte
Gloucestershire UK
(1041 posts)

02/11/2010 04:29AM

Main British Car:
1974 Land Rover Lightweight V8

Re: Replacing IRS U-joints
Posted by: 88v8
Date: May 17, 2014 06:08AM

In a considerable time on the TR Register forum, I never heard of the yokes being worn.
The splines, perhaps, if they haven't been regularly greased - moly grease - preferably annually.

As this is a question related to the original car rather than any conversion, you might also raise it on 6 Pack.
[www.6-pack.org]

Ivor

Ronp
Ron Pulliam
Tacoma Wa
(15 posts)

04/19/2014 12:09AM

Main British Car:
1972 TR6 1963 Buick 215

Re: Replacing IRS U-joints
Posted by: Ronp
Date: May 24, 2014 11:53PM

Thanks, Ivor! That puts my mind to rest. Since I posted this, I discovered a new best friend on CraigsList. He was advertising 69-72 TR6 parts from THREE cars he once owned. Like a candy shop. I was able to buy (among other goodies) a rebuilt hub assembly and a whole axle assembly, also rebuilt. Received the remaining spider in the mail today. I'm in good shape, now. All I need now is time. In the meantime, I've been cleaning up the wiring and plumbing in the engine bay, and waiting for my new steering column bushings to arrive.

The car has a 215 Buick V8, 4bbl Carter carb, & 5speed. Stock iRS. We'll see how long it lasts.
The pic is an early one. I've mad some progress since then.
image.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.