Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

tdskip
Tom Deutsch

(16 posts)

02/20/2011 07:18PM

Main British Car:

Converting '80 TR8 to FI within CA SMOG rules
Posted by: tdskip
Date: June 17, 2014 11:15AM

Hi guys - thanks in advance for the help and coaching. I have a TR8 w/ dual ZS carbs, Canadian import that has a referee OK for CA SMOG. Having trouble w/ carbs and thinking that since I have a spare Rover SD1 EFI set up I should use it. For CA purposes that is OK as it is an engine replacement in their eyes, not a swap. So long as the EFI set up passes visual - that is looks like the factory EFI TR8 set up - and passes sniffer I am OK. The engine is healthly, has good cats etc so I should be OK there.

So one question is this - I understand the early that the TR8 and SD1 EFI systems were set up for emissions not power but I want to balance both. Can I use a later EFI, say off a Range Rover, that will be better at both emissions and power? It will need too look like the TR8/Rover set up but it is in the spirit of actually being as clean/cleaner than the factory OEM set up.

Any coaching that anyone can pass along?

Thanks!

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Re: Converting '80 TR8 to FI within CA SMOG rules
Posted by: Moderator
Date: June 17, 2014 12:15PM

Hi Tom. Have you been welcomed to BritishV8 yet? Glad to have you here!

I believe Evan Amaya combined the "Federal" intake manifold and plenum with integral throttle body from a late TR8 or SD1 with a later Range Rover "14CUX" control system. In other words, he upgraded from a Bosch flapper-valve to a Lucas/Hitachi hot-wire mass airflow sensor and also upgraded to the matching computer and wiring. We've got a brief "How It Was Done" article about Evan's car here. You might find additional information about Evan's installation via the Google search box at the top of this page (for stuff that's buried here on the BritishV8 site) and also via a regular Google search (for stuff Evan posted a long time ago on his own website.) If you decide to take a similar approach OR to install a complete Rover 14CUX system (from a 3.9L engine), we've collected a ton of information on the 14CUX system. Just type "14CUX" into Google box above and brace yourself for the flood of knowledge.

I suspect that the later (Range Rover) intake manifold would yield a small performance advantage. The big advantage of the earlier (Federal) intake manifold is that it sits lower. If you don't use it, consider offering it for sale in our Classified section. Its low profile will be a big help to someone.

If you hit any snags, post questions here or (probably better) in our "Drivetrain Issues" sub-forum.

V8WEDG
Robert Carter
Fremont, CA
(24 posts)

11/20/2009 06:03PM

Main British Car:
Poseidon Green '80 TR8 5spd conv, '05 Lotus Elise 6spd SC'd, '91 Volvo 240 wagon

authors avatar
Posted by: V8WEDG
Date: September 16, 2014 04:44PM

So I know this is an old thread, but I just moved to CA, and my 49 state TR8 is being shipped here this week, so I have to ask:
Why is this conversion even necessary?
I thought when I looked at the CA DMV site cars over 25 years old do not need to be SMOGed?
Is this because it is an out of country import?

I just looked on the CA DMV site again, so SMOG cutoff is 1975 not 25 years, but the historic plates are 25 years, do 1976+ cars with historic plates still need to be SMOGed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 07:54PM by V8WEDG.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4576 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: September 17, 2014 10:06PM

Not necessary. Just wanted.

tdskip
Tom Deutsch

(16 posts)

02/20/2011 07:18PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: tdskip
Date: September 24, 2014 08:02AM

Robert, your car will still need to pass SMOG regardless of the plates? Do t be shy if you have questions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.