Triumph Sports Cars

engine swaps and other performance upgrades, plus "factory" V8s (Stag and TR8)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In

colintt
colin tomas

(3 posts)

07/21/2014 01:27PM

Main British Car:

GT6 with s-10 donor
Posted by: colintt
Date: July 21, 2014 01:44PM

I have a GT6+ without an engine that needs some love and after running prices on a new engine + trans, rubber seals, sheet metal, etc. it seems like i would be better off simply buying a donor car such as a s-10 with a V6 and using everything i can off of that. i know the rear end will have to be reworked to handle the power and i can visit the local scrap yard to take care of that problem and i also know many enthusiast will say just get an original motor but im really looking to see what people think of using a donor car like an s-10 or another common/cheap vehicle.

I'm looking for:
minimal modification to frame and firewall.
4 or 6 cylinder (no v8 swap)
fairly common and cheap donor car, there are a dozen s-10s on craigslist for $600

Richard/SIA
Richard Brengman
No. Nevada
(399 posts)

01/17/2014 07:47PM

Main British Car:
1969 Triumph GT6+ 225" Buick V6

Re: GT6 with s-10 donor
Posted by: Richard/SIA
Date: July 21, 2014 02:09PM

Chevy V6 is a little tall, T5 is a little big.
2.3 Ford goes in pretty well, T9 trans is an easier fit, so a Merkur might make a good start as even the rear should be able to be fit after being narrowed.
The rear is the hardest part.

You will want to keep it at least a 2.0 for decent performance.

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4577 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: Moderator
Date: July 22, 2014 03:11AM

Welcome to BritishV8, Colin.

"S10" covers a lot of territory! The one I had back in ~'93 had a 2.8 liter V6, but they were also offered with 4.3L V6s at that time. Those are two very different engines! The 2.8 has a 60 degree V, whereas the 4.3 has a 90 degree V. Since the 60-degree engines are much more compact, they're a much easier swap. On the other hand, the 2.8 in particular isn't a very powerful engine. Chevy later offered larger displacement, more powerful, better breathing, and even lighter weight versions of their 60-degree V6. A 3.4L engine from a Camaro, for example, would be a very big upgrade over a 2.8L engine from an S10. You should also research the variety of transmissions used in S10 over the years. Some had Borg Warner T5 5-speeds but others had New Venture (3500) gearboxes, etc. Check gear ratios and shifter positions. I expect you'll find that a T5 5-speed from a Camaro will have both more suitable gear ratios and also a better shifter position than a T5 5-speed from an S-10. (I don't think you'll like the gear shifter on the NV3500 box.)

I worry when people put a lot of emphasis on "common" and "cheap". Sometimes you get a lot more value by paying a bit more or by selecting components that are less widely available. What are your performance goals? What features are important to you?

BWA

(344 posts)

04/13/2010 08:13PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: BWA
Date: July 22, 2014 10:49AM

You should consider the possibility of going with a GM 3500 V6. These engines are light and compact and will give you about 235 hp. They are plentiful and will not cost a lot of money. These engines can be converted from a FWD configuration quite easily and they bolt to a 92 -94 S10 bell housing ( the S-10's that had 4 cylinder motors)
These bell housings will bolt up a mid 90's Mustang T5 which have an ideal gear ratio for light cars. British car Conversions in Dayton Ohio converts these engines for MGB's and they work quite well.

Cheers
Byron

colintt
colin tomas

(3 posts)

07/21/2014 01:27PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: colintt
Date: July 22, 2014 11:52AM

my main reason for picking up a cheap common car is primarily for the interior components and small generic bits that when purchased separately add up pretty quickly, stuff like seals, sheet metal, carpet, seat belts ect. im not looking to build a gt6 rat or hack and slash a bunch of mismatched components together but am always looking for a the most economic way possible even if it takes a bit more time and ingenuity. it's very easy to find a decent looking car without and engine or trans for $350 in my area with perfect interiors and so i just figured it would be worth considering doubling that for one with a decent engine and trans too.

what i am really looking to get out of this is a nice Sunday driver, sure an original motor would be great but im not into car shows anymore and I've lost the need for speed and whipping around tight corners, i really just work on old cars now to occupy my time and keep my sanity. its more the joy of the build and not so much the prize at the end. my real goal is just to have a decent looking car that can take take me out for a few hours a few times a year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.